Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for pattern >

Looking for pattern

Looking for pattern

Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Okay, here is Rita's reply to my query:

"Hi Peggi

Thank you so much for emailing me about this. I have such a love/dislike relationship with Pinterest. I think Pinterest is a great way to collect images and links all in one place for future reference, etc, but my biggest concern is that Pinners weren't paying particular attention to ensuring that the link/source of the image was correct.

For example, this is my image: http://pinterest.com/pin/24980972903036910/

This pin was repinned to 1380 different boards, and who knows how many times it was repinned from there.

Unfortunately, this image was linked to another person's blog - when it was pinned - as this blogger used my image without my knowledge or permission. When I asked them to delete the image from their blog, or at least acknowledge and link the image to my blog, they did delete it but also thought I was being unfair. It seems there is a general misconception that if you put an image "out there" on the internet, it is a "free for all". This obviously is not the case. Deleting the image from their blog also had no impact on the image pinned to Pinterest.

Anyway, at that point I decided it was best to join Pinterest myself. I pin my own pins to my board to ensure that the correct link/source is included. I really enjoy Pinterest and seeing what others are making etc, and I think that Pinners have come a long way in pinning images correctly and with the right link. Just because an image has been pinned to Pinterest doesn't mean that someone can use that image on their blog/website.

I don't mind my images being pinned to Pinterest directly from my blog. I do have a Flickr photostream, the images there can now no longer be pinned. Flickr is another tricky situation as I cannot link from my Flickr photos to my blog. Flickr cannot be used for commercial purposes and therefore I cannot link from Flickr to my blog as I am "running a business" from my blog. Flickr accounts linking to a business can have their images deleted.

I do mind when my images are used by other bloggers on their blog/website
- and this is solely because of Pinterest and what happened with the image linked to above.

I hope that makes sense? It's a tricky situation.

Regards,
Rita"
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM

So, Jem, I sincerely apologize to you, I was wrong. You CAN pin her quilts. Guess where I'm going now?