Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for pattern >

Looking for pattern

Looking for pattern

Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm surprised you were able to pin that quilt at all, Rita (owner of Red Pepper Quilts) does NOT allow pinning from her site, and it states very clearly on her blog that she requires you get permission from her before posting any of her content (including images). Providing a link to her website would be preferable.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Really? I didn't know that! She says "please feel free to link to my site," and I guess I view pinning as more of a link than a use of copyrighted photos without attribution to the original owner. The link is inherent in the pin - you can't pin something without it being a link back to the original. That's just how it works. The pin IS a link, it's just a link that uses a picture instead of http:// text. To me, it's not the same thing as posting a picture of something she did on her blog on your own blog without giving any credit. I also always include her name in the pin text so she gets credit. There is certainly nothing technical that prevents pinning from her site (as there is on some flickr pages, for example).

Last edited by JEM2012; 08-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Well, you can debate the finer points of pinning and linking with her, since she's the one setting up the rules for her site. She has advertisers on her site, and she doesn't make money if her images are seen on Pinterest instead of her blog. So she prefers that you simply give a URL link for people to see her quilts, instead of a picture of the quilt itself. I certainly don't begrudge her for trying to make money any way she can from her talent.
She DOES have pinning disabled on her site for all her copyrighted images, so when someone tries to pin, the picture is grayed out and a message is displayed that says that image cannot be pinned.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 AM

I certainly don't begrudge her trying to make money either, I just had never considered that someone might view pinning as different than a link, because I've always thought of it as a different and better type of link. If it were my site, I would prefer a pin because someone is more likely to look back to the original based on a gorgeous photo than a text link. For example, I wouldn't know she existed if I hadn't seen her quilts on Pinterest. But if that's her preference I certainly won't do it! I was just explaining why I hadn't thought it was an issue. I deleted the pin from my pinterest account, and I would take down the photo here but it won't let me edit or delete the old post, unfortunately.

There is definitely nothing preventing pinning on her site though. I've pinned directly from it from my home computer, and just tried it on my work computer and it worked, and I've seen her pins on pinterest several times. It is technically possible to pin from her Etsy site as well. If you search "red pepper quilts" on pinterst, hundreds of pictures from her site come up, and that doesn't account for the hundreds of repins from those pins. So if she thinks she is blocking pinning, something is not set up correctly. She does block pinning from her flickr page (I just tried it), but that doesn't block pinning of posts on her own blog or on her Etsy store that use pictures from the flickr.

Last edited by JEM2012; 08-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It's funny how we interpret things differently - after reading Cagey's description, I was positive this was the pattern she was looking for!

http://bighornjulie.blogspot.com/200...-part-two.html
Peggi, this is also the pattern I thought she was describing.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Interesting. It's set up correctly for me - you must be running a completely different system. Here is what I get. It's pretty faint here, but the pictures of her quilts are grayed out and the type says "sorry, cannot pin this image".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails rita.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM

No worries about the images, I'm sure a mod will remove them for you. But I have to agree about Rita's quilts - they're beautiful, aren't they?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

So strange, Peggi. I use Chrome, so maybe it's just not set up effectively for that browser?? I did send a message to the mods asking them to delete, so hopefully they will do that soon.

Her quilts are stunning though! She has one of the sites that got me really excited about getting into this - I basically want to make every one of her patterns.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM

You know what, Jem? I was thinking about this while doing chores, and I got curious and checked, and Rita has a Pinterest board with several of her quilts! So now I'm confused, because obviously you can re-pin from her boards. I didn't see that specific quilt that you posted, but I'm going to email her and ask if she's had a change of heart about pinning from her site. And if she has, I will be back with a sincere and heartfelt apology to you.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM

No need to apologize either way - you were standing up for someone's property rights, nothing at all to be sorry about!! I felt horrible because it hadn't occurred to me that someone might view pinning as a use of copyrighted material. I'm a lawyer, so usually I try to hold of up the law