Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pattern

Congrats to your son! and you must be bursting with pride!! Awesome job!

As the mom of a special needs daughter, you can never let the "experts" hold your child back from their full potential. There is a special gift in everyone - you just have to keep experimenting until it's unearthed. Your son is blessed to have a special and supporting family who never gave up on him. Kudos to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by scjoan
    I don't know how to post a link, but hope this helps

http://www.pambonodesigns.com/SuperS...ProductID=5490

Joan
    Congrats to your son!!

I saw this one done up by a gal in my hand quilting group (she did use a machine for it - lol) for her grandson. It was adorable. She Machine Embroidered "trucking names" on each truck using some combination of the child's name. It was absolutely fantastic!

Why not do a block quilt with strips of fabric inbetween. Kind of like my avatar quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a pattern with a semi truck theme, I have done some searching with out much luck. It is to be a quilt for my 21 year old son who just obtained his CDL licence, what makes it so special is the fact that he is severly dyslexic, can not read or write at a functional level and was in special ed in school. He has fought the odds and studied so hard and passed the written test on his 4th try(they have it on tape thank goodness) and he passed the road test on his first try. He is now a semi truck driver .I am so proud of his preserverance(some told him to get disability) Well I wont even go there on this board. But any way I would love to make him some type of " keep on truckin" theme quilt to reward his never give up attitude.I just know someone here has seen one or can give a not so creative average quilter some design tips! Thanks in advance!

Rae
    I looked for semi=truck fabric and failed to find any. Why don't you take a picture of him in or beside his truck, transfer it to cloth and use any pattern you choose for the completed quilt.

LOVE this idea !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a pattern with a semi truck theme, I have done some searching with out much luck. It is to be a quilt for my 21 year old son who just obtained his CDL licence, what makes it so special is the fact that he is severly dyslexic, can not read or write at a functional level and was in special ed in school. He has fought the odds and studied so hard and passed the written test on his 4th try(they have it on tape thank goodness) and he passed the road test on his first try. He is now a semi truck driver .I am so proud of his preserverance(some told him to get disability) Well I wont even go there on this board. But any way I would love to make him some type of " keep on truckin" theme quilt to reward his never give up attitude.I just know someone here has seen one or can give a not so creative average quilter some design tips! Thanks in advance!

Rae
    I looked for semi=truck fabric and failed to find any. Why don't you take a picture of him in or beside his truck, transfer it to cloth and use any pattern you choose for the completed quilt.

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, what a truly remarkable story! Wishing your son Well! and safety to him on the road!

Congratulations from one dyslexic to another-mine is no where near as limiting as his was, but I currently have a nephew who is going through some very tough times, partially because of his stubborness to let us know what he knows-this gives me real hope for him! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    you could try searching the on the internet for coloring pages for kids. I've found some good ones that way

There is a Route 66 fabric out there that might work out well as an additional fabric. Some of these suggestions are darling. Your son will be more than delighted!

Congradulations to both you and your son. I know this victory represents a lot of hard work on his and your part. I worked for a trucking company for ten years and know most truckers are hard working, great people.

Blog Entries
    Pam Bono has a semi truck pattern I think it's call On The Road Again, it is however for a child quilt but I'm pretty sure you can motify this pattern
    http://www.pambonodesigns.com/SuperS...ProductID=5490

You can purchase this pattern by download also...I just purchased a couple of patterns by download...poof within 3 minutes there were my patterns PDF.....

There is an article in the Sept., 09 edition of the American Quilter magazine called Block Vision. It is a quilt of the front of a road tractor made of log cabin blocks.There is no pattern but a diagram of the layout of the quilt. The quilting is called Winding Road Ahead, designed by Janet Fogg. It is an amazing quilt.

Blog Entries
    Hi all,

Rae

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    HI RAE, THIS MAY HELP. YEARS AGO I DID THE SAME FOR A FRIEND. I OBTAINED PICTURES OF ALL SORTS OF TRUCKS AND TRAILORS FROM THE LOCAL DEALERS.. THE ONES THAT WERE NOT BIG ENOUGH I INCREASED ON A COPY MACHINE. THEN I DID A LINE TRACING LEAVING OUT ALL THE UNNEEDED LINES. THAT WAS MY PATTERN. THEY ALL TURNED OUT GREAT AND HE LOVED IT.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.
    TAKE CARE
    CAROL (NANA)

Power Poster
    Sorry I can't help but good luck.

I was doing the Sept fabshophop and saw some 18 wheeler fabric-first time I have seen it. But I can't remember what shop it was.
    Congratulations, becoming a truck driver is not easy. A lot of people think it's just driving and how hard can it be. Well it is. I have a class A and have driven OTL. It is not an easy life, but I wouldn't trade the experience to see parts of the US I would not have seen otherwise.

:thumbup: Good for him..My sister and her hubby just went through all that and now are training to drive team.

I think what would be 'cute' would to use the Keep on trucking theme from the 70's . It was cartoons I found some stuff on E-bay to copy . Look in magazines for pictures you could copy and emboidery . I am making a quilt about Iowa and have found things I never even planned on !! also look for Aunt Martha's patterens maybe on a web site . or take photos of truks and put them on fabric . Look in childrens fabric sections never know . I am planning on making a Harley quilt and have some ideas . Parts of maps could be an idea for the sashing once again emboidery . congradulations to our son and God bless you also . Dana in Iowa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    LOVE this idea !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Hi all,

Rae
    Hi Rae----I didn't give up. I found your sem-trailer fabric. It is on: www.quiltkit.com. Use this web address to get to it.
    Click, Novelty Fabric. Click trucks and put 18-wheeler in the search box. This should come up. Article # 333313635; design # AH7209A 18-wheeler by Alexander Henry.

So it does exist. Cost is about $9 per yard, but you could start with 1 yard and embellish around it with squares, etc.

Good Luck!

Alexander Henty 18-Wheeler--Fantastic Design
    Name:  Attachment-109032.jpe
Views: 119
Size:  21.8 KB

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and kind comments! keep 'em comming !I love ideas from others as I am not that creative designing my own.
    Thanks,
    Rae

I am definately going to read this post to my son who is struggling with dyslexia!! He is 14 and having self confidence issues and thinks that he will not be able to amount to anything!!

I have not seen a trucking pattern, but I need to find a "woodsie/nature quilt for a firend that is moving up north and I want to make her a nature type quilt...any suggestions? Thanks

If you like panals there are lots of them with nature themes.

Congratulations to you son. He did a great job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast