Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pattern

Hi all,
    I am looking for a pattern with a semi truck theme, I have done some searching with out much luck. It is to be a quilt for my 21 year old son who just obtained his CDL licence, what makes it so special is the fact that he is severly dyslexic, can not read or write at a functional level and was in special ed in school. He has fought the odds and studied so hard and passed the written test on his 4th try(they have it on tape thank goodness) and he passed the road test on his first try. He is now a semi truck driver .I am so proud of his preserverance(some told him to get disability) Well I wont even go there on this board. But any way I would love to make him some type of " keep on truckin" theme quilt to reward his never give up attitude.I just know someone here has seen one or can give a not so creative average quilter some design tips! Thanks in advance!

Rae

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea.. Sorry I cannot help on the pattern..Im sure someone will have some thing for you..

Blog Entries
    Wow congrats to your son!! I don't know of a pattern but will sure look for one for you. What a wonderful idea for him!

I don't know how to post a link, but hope this helps

http://www.pambonodesigns.com/SuperS...ProductID=5490

Joan

Don't know about a pattern but the link below has a semi fabric in the lower left hand corner. Good luck!

http://search.myquiltshops.com/cgi-s...myqssearch.cgi

Whoops, that didn't work. Go to quiltshops.com and type in Trucks in the search box. You'll have to sift thru all the pages but it was there!!

Ok, found it at Fabric shack.com

http://www.fabricshack.com/cgi-bin/S...alexhenry7209b

Can you use this and scale however large you want it?

http://allaboutdinosaurs.com/paint/vehicles/semi.shtml

Okay.. it took me a bit... I have both of Pam Bono's quick rotary cutter quilt books and the one that I was looking for is mia... It is in with a wip bag and my craft room is far too cluttered to locate it.. but I knew she had a pattern with semis... and I found a link... having said that, I personally would not order just that pattern directly from her site since you can usually get the entire book for less lol... having said that, it might be a similar pattern... since I don't have the book directly in front of me I can't tell you for sure. If you email Pam and ask her if that pattern is in a book, I'm sure she'll tell you ;)

http://www.pambonodesigns.com/SuperS...ProductID=5490

But it's semi trucks :)
    It's

That is so cool!

me again.

The pattern is in this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dear-Teach-Qui.../dp/1574863487

The individual pattern is on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Road-Again-Quilt...item2c5711aad2

Sorry I can't help with ideas, but congratulations to your son - I'm so glad his hard work and determination finally paid off :-)

Congratulations on your son's perseverance! The quilt pattern at Pam Bono's is really neat, I thought.

Congratulations to your son! I'm sure your both very proud. I see that you've been given a cute design - its what comes up in a search. How about embroidery? There are some semi trucks and words can be put on them. Have you come up with an idea yet?

I just searched for semi truck coloring pages & there's quite a few that you could adapt to appliqué if you were interested in that.

What a great job mom for instilling in your son to never give up!!! I love to hear stories like this. Great job on passing the test. Try the applique or paper piece maybe that might work?

My grandson loves to draw 'big rigs'. As a 6 year old, his are pretty basic, but they would lend themselves to a quilt really well...the cab is a square with a small rectangle on top, the trailer is a bigger rectangle, and the wheels are circles. Thought that might work for your son's quilt.

I just PM'd a site for you.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for asking about this pattern. My Father is a truck driver and I was wanting to make him a quilt too.
    Congratulations to your son on his accomplishment and may he find a trust worthy company to work for.

He's lucky to have a Mom like you!

I don't know about a pattern, but I am so happy for you and your son. I was a teacher for 37 years and I saw the frustration some of these challenged kids had to deal with. I always prayed that somehow they would be able get a job and make a good living. He had a good support person and that's what made the difference. He'll be able to take that quilt with him on longer trips.

Blog Entries
    My son has learning disabilities too. He got his CDL also. They say he has a natural ability. So, I say to your son... Keep on Truckin! Don't ever give up! And get a GPS!

Thank you all so much for the replys,I was trying to avoid spending more money but that 'on the road again' pattern is so cute, I am trying to figure out how to use the coloring pages too. I am just not too swift trying to figure things out without directions.LOL Would you do them like applique onto larger pieces of fabric? While looking at them I got bombarded with other ideas using coloring pages if I can figure it out lol.
    Again thank you all so much for your kind words and help.

Rae

Blog Entries
    Here is a link . It is not a pattern but it may give you some ideas. You could probably e-mail the poster and ask them for help in finding the pattern. Hope this helps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44518-1.htm

Have you tried children's coloring books to look for the type of vehicle you want?

Yes, and found several,but I don't know what to do with them without instructions lol.I can sew but when it comes to creativity i am terribe! I am thinking about looking up applique and seing if I can figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to you and your son. Having a special needs child I know the joy you are feeling. Prays for God to keep him safe in his travels and praise for his determination and fight to keep on keeping on.
    Good luck on the truck quilt. Hope to see it when you are finished.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast