Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loose seams: help!

What a gorgeous quilt!! Mind blowing!!

Ditching around the triangles may highlight inaccuracies....a meander would probably be quicker and more effective. As for colour, depends on what colour the backing will be. Anyway....its very pretty and once it is quilted and washed, you won't notice any little "slips".

QM
    that looks great!!! But do worry about loose seams. They will give you more trouble later. I had the problem one time. I called my dealer and got to speak to the actual repair guy!!!!!! He said there was almost certainly lint or a smidgen of thread caught somewhere. He said to notice where the thread tensioner was, for reference, then open it all the way up and clean in there. Yup, 1/2" of shredded thread. there was also a bit of lint under the bobbin case's tension spring. I ended by doing a massive cleaning finding tiny bits in several places. The combination gave the sort of off and on tension problem you are describing.

I agree about using Stitch in the ditch to control wobbles.

Blog Entries
    When I'm cutting tiny pieces, I start with a damp fabric, iron it to death, starch it and if the pieces are going to be cut with bias edges I fuse light weight interfacing that dissolves in water or super thin to leave in (Misty Fuse)to the back. I do all this before cutting the pieces. They all fit and match up perfectly. The smaller pieces the more I want the pieces to be like stiff paper.
    Got fabric?

Thanks everyone; I've certainly learnt a lot doing this quilt and have a whole new healthy respect for the art! I dare say that any future quilts I embark on will benefit hugely from the mistakes I have made with this one! I'm leaning more towards a meandering quilting now.....have bought some old sheets from the local op shop to practice my fmq on first as I've only had a bit of a dabble into fmq up to now.

Your quilt is turning out beautifully. Thanks for posting, I've learned a lot from the advice you've received. However, I don't think I would ever have the patience to make this pattern. I will just enjoy looking at yours.
    jean

Power Poster
    The over-all impression of your quilt is that it's very attractive - I love the bright colors you used! You arranged the colors well!

One does learn as one goes -

Accuracy and consistency in cutting, sewing, and pressing do - in my opinion - make the total project go together more easily. Sometimes five minutes in prep/clean up time can eliminate hours of 'trying to make it work' later.

Your quilt top is beautiful. I love bright colors. Try not to just look at the bits that you did wrong, the overall effect is lovely. Great work.
    Last edited by nancy14418; 06-18-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: found I missed the completed picture

Blog Entries
    Is this a MENSA challenge , how many triangles can you see? If so I give up.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Can't resist...humour me...teehee

378 big triangles...or.....1,512 little triangles....or 1,890 if you count both lots in the one count!

Gee they are small - well done! Where in Oz do you live? I'm in Brisbane if you are too pm msg me!

You"ll never guess what I've done...pass me the red please dear!!! I was looking at my quilt top and thought.."what do I want to do with this when it's finished", and, "wow, it's pretty big isn't it" so..........I'm thinking of cutting the top in half or rather, unpicking row 9 so I have 2 couch quilts of approx. 1.5 metres x 1.2 meters each. Hmmmm what do you think? I have enough border material and batting to do it....and am thinking they will look pretty thrown over the backs of my 2 couches in the lounge room rather than just one huge one on one of the couches. Am I crazy????????

Blog Entries
    I actually think that is a fabulous idea especially if it means you will enjoy the use of them more! After all of the work you have put in it is better to have them out to enjoy daily versus sticking it in a closet....or whatever. Go for it!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I love this quilt top! It's so bright and colorful! Looks great to me!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I love this quilt and the bright colors you used! Great job!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    You"ll never guess what I've done...pass me the red please dear!!! I was looking at my quilt top and thought.."what do I want to do with this when it's finished", and, "wow, it's pretty big isn't it" so..........I'm thinking of cutting the top in half or rather, unpicking row 9 so I have 2 couch quilts of approx. 1.5 metres x 1.2 meters each. Hmmmm what do you think? I have enough border material and batting to do it....and am thinking they will look pretty thrown over the backs of my 2 couches in the lounge room rather than just one huge one on one of the couches. Am I crazy????????
    If you would get more use out of what you've made - seems like an excellent idea!

Sounds like a plan....Go for it....two is better than one any way you look at it

Okay, here's the border I put on both of the quilts. Had a devil of a time as it took quite a bit of trimming to square it all up before adding the border. If I ever catch sight of the goose that was so inaccurate in the cutting and piecing...well...it won't be nice.........(at this point in time I am avoiding looking in any mirrors!) Steep, steep learning curve here! haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely....some geese lay golden eggs

Blog Entries
    they are looking great so far!! keep on going!!

Finally first quilt finished. The fm stitching has some nightmare sections which I am planning to redo as every time I look at the wretched thing I wince. I still have one more triangle quilt top to sandwich but TBH am thinking about chucking it away as this one was such a hard thing for me to do........didn't really enjoy it much at all towards the end and now that it's finished it's just a reminder to me about how badly I've done it!!!! Mind you, from a distance, and via photograph it doesn't show the yuckies!

Ruby it looks beautiful, stop criticising yourself, you have done a great job, sure if we examine everything we do we will find mistakes, BUT nobody else will kniw they are there and will come into your house and say wow beautiful quilt, well done xx

Yay.... second quilt done, dear little old Janome cleaned, oiled and kissed, and me.........never touching another triangle as long as I live!

Blog Entries
    This is great! I just happened to read this thread this morning and you certainly deserve my congratulations for your work, your patience, your determination and your sense of humour. It is early in the morning here and I just woke up and having my cup of coffee

I love your quilts the colors you chose and the end result. Certainly a great learning experience. If you never point out to anybody what you do not like with it, I bet NOBODY will notice unless you are entering this quilt in a contest of some sort. and if somebody says anything about the imperfections well !!!! .... so be it
    Enjoy your nice quilts Cheers! (i love wine too..)

Yay for Ruby!! You stuck with it and saw it through! Once it's said and done the boo boos are in the past. As a completed quilt, it will be enjoyed for years to come.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast