Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Help please. Quilt Top Too Loose

  1. #1
    Member scu114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    21

    Help please. Quilt Top Too Loose

    Hello all. I am not sure if this has been posted-nonetheless, I couldn't find a solution. I just know you quilters can help me. I am in over my head but was persuaded to make a signature quilt as a good bye gift for a co-worker. It came together as best as I can do-- decided to free motion a curly Q pattern down and across the green sashings. Believe it or not-- I did alright on the free motion and the back is not puckered. BUT-- the top looks "blousey".

    I have attached a picture for reference- the block with the picture towards the bottom-- how loose it is? Others are like this too-- like I didn't have to tight enough when I basted it together. ( But it looked great when I first it)

    Now how do I fix it? I cannot take out all the stitching I have done on the machine. I don't know if I can quilt inside each block or if that will intensify the "blouseyness." I tried to hand quilt around one block-- around the edges-- but I don't think it mattered-- may have to do more than one to notice? Do I dare try to "stitch in the ditch" with my machine-- my squares aren't perfectly straight you know. This will make the back look tacky?

    Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Did it come more loose as I struggled getting in through my machine? It is pretty "wrinkled" from working it-but that free motion sure looks nice lol.

    Just help please-- help me make this presentable"

    Thanks so much for ANY help.

    Just a beginner...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think it just needs more FMQ. I can't really tell from the picture; where all is the quilting design? Is it just through the middle of the rectangular pieces? Or just in the sashing? How far apart are your quilting lines?

    If it were me and I were considering SID, I would defnitely do SID only with a serpentine stitch -- much easier on the nerves.

    Really, as far as I can tell, it just needs denser FMQ.

  3. #3
    Super Member Daylesewblessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    I agree that it needs some quilting within the blocks. The quilting in the sashing has probably "drawn up" the fabric there, and the fabric around it is not drawn up.
    Your free motion looks lovely!
    Dayle

  4. #4
    Senior Member crashnquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Posts
    607
    Stitch In the Ditch would definately take care of most if not all of your problem. From the looks of it, you might not have basted enough.
    Crashnquilt


    Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

  5. #5
    Member scu114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for replies. I tried to baste it and I thought my top looked so nice when I finished. I did pins and hand basted. I think with all the pushing and moving in the machine-loosened it-- is that possible? I need to know for next time right? lol

    I did the loopy di loop design FM-- just in the green sashings down and across. The blocks are 5 inch blocks. quilting lines make a 6 1/2 inch grid on the back.

    If I do the SID- do I go all around the outside and inside the 5 inch block or in each of the blocks within the 5 inch block? Do I do this with a walking foot or free motion foot? I like the idea of the serpentine stitch -- where would you do that?


    I am just beside myself as I was asked to do this for a friend and I couldn't say no-even though they knew I am just learning and now I fear I have made a mess of it.

    Thanks for helping me make it presentable.

  6. #6
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,383
    [If I do the SID- do I go all around the outside and inside the 5 inch block or in each of the blocks within the 5 inch block? Do I do this with a walking foot or free motion foot? I like the idea of the serpentine stitch -- where would you do that?]


    Use a walking foot for a Stitch in the Ditch or even the Serpentine . I would try to get some "balance" in the quilting in other words even amounts in the distance between quilting through out the quilt. this will help with the "looseness" you describe. I would go around that inner signature square with either a Free Motion scroll type or Stitch in the Ditch. The Free Motion might be more forgiving , and be consistant with the other quilting.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sylviak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    southern Oklahoma
    Posts
    956
    If your machine has the serpentine stitch, use that and go around each block on both sides of the yellow frame. That may be all you need since the blocks are small. That should remove the "blouseyness". The quilt is very pretty! Just center that serpertine stitch on the seam...it's very forgiving, moreso than SID! And yes, use the walking foot!

  8. #8
    Super Member kitsykeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    I have done stitch in the ditch quite a lot, but don't know what serpentine stitch is. Can you help me?
    Kitsy

  9. #9
    Power Poster sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,405
    Blog Entries
    10
    Serpentine is more of a wiggle stitch as opposed to just a straight stitch- I use that the most that way I don't have to worry about the lines being perfectly straight More like this ~~~~~~ than this --------- does that make sense ? Does your machine have built in stitches ? that is where you would look to find this stitch
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

  10. #10
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,853
    What type of batting did you use? Most battings advise how close your quilting design needs to be so that when the quilt is washed the batting doesn't migrate into a lump between the stitching. Your quilt is lovely so far, and if you have a walking foot, stitch nice & slowly allowing the foot to take the 3 layers of the quilt through without puckering. Because you have already done some quilting to stabilize the blocks, I don't think I would choose stitching that butted up to it. I would probably go around the inside blocks, and yes that does make for ALOT of twisting & turning, but hopefully would keep the back from puckering.

  11. #11
    Super Member kitsykeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    Sharon,

    Thanks for explaining serpentine stitch. I am definitely going to try it. It can get really frustrating for me when a stitch doesn't stay in the ditch. Just want it to be perfect I guess. Now who am I kidding?
    Kitsy

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by scu114 View Post
    Hello all. I am not sure if this has been posted-nonetheless, I couldn't find a solution. I just know you quilters can help me. I am in over my head but was persuaded to make a signature quilt as a good bye gift for a co-worker. It came together as best as I can do-- decided to free motion a curly Q pattern down and across the green sashings. Believe it or not-- I did alright on the free motion and the back is not puckered. BUT-- the top looks "blousey".

    I have attached a picture for reference- the block with the picture towards the bottom-- how loose it is? Others are like this too-- like I didn't have to tight enough when I basted it together. ( But it looked great when I first it)

    Now how do I fix it? I cannot take out all the stitching I have done on the machine. I don't know if I can quilt inside each block or if that will intensify the "blouseyness." I tried to hand quilt around one block-- around the edges-- but I don't think it mattered-- may have to do more than one to notice? Do I dare try to "stitch in the ditch" with my machine-- my squares aren't perfectly straight you know. This will make the back look tacky?

    Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Did it come more loose as I struggled getting in through my machine? It is pretty "wrinkled" from working it-but that free motion sure looks nice lol.

    Just help please-- help me make this presentable"

    Thanks so much for ANY help.

    Just a beginner...

    thread a needle with the best matching color you can find. Slip between the two yellow squares and sort of tuck a tiny tuck up under the outer square. I had to do that once and it worked quite well.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  13. #13
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    19,065
    Blog Entries
    2
    also you might try going a bit slower when you move the quilt doing FMQ, that will make smaller stitches.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

  14. #14
    Member scu114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    21
    Thanks all for the advice. I always learn so much for this forum. I appreciate you taking your time with my struggle. I have a to play with- BEFORE I start in on that quilt again. Thank heavens it's not "due" until Mid June. I will practice on some of this. I do not have the Serpentine switch on my Brother machine- but love that idea-- makes me want to buy a new machine even more My feed dogs don't go down either- so I have 2 reasons now hehe. Not sure on the batting- it was a natural, thin batting- I have used in many times with no problems. But again- this is a pretty big project for me-I have done a few quilt as you go-- that is so much simpler with the quilting part. Thanks again-- I will update on my progress- I promise!

  15. #15
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,967
    Blog Entries
    2
    As a LAQ I get quilt tops that are made of different grades of cotton. Some pieces have more stretch than others. This isn't so noticable when the top is being made or ironed, but when it gets pulled taut on the quilting frame the looser weave or stetchier materials show up.
    All that said when you wash a quilt and there is a degree of shrinkage, they often puff up. Unless its patchy on yours I wouldn't worry about it. 5 inches between stitch lines is not bad. If you try to SID you may do nothing more that push the offending looseness into the center and make it more puffy. Remeber we are the worst critics of our own work.
    If its your work as a gift go ahead and wash it and see what happens.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,010
    First it needs more quilting SID around large areas. I use large straight pins when there appears to be some excess fabric to work in. Put them in just ahead of the area you are quilting. This way you can ease in any
    fullness with the quilting. Dont rely on the walking foot to do all the work for you.
    Use the patchwork as a guide for the amount of quilting you need and not the recommendation of the batting manufacturer. I am sure the quilt will droop if you don't put more quilting within the blocks. It all depend on how the quilt is to be used. If as a wall hanging then lots more quilting may be needed.

  17. #17
    KR
    KR is offline
    Senior Member KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where it's warm & sunny all the time :-)
    Posts
    632
    A little more Quilting in the blocks will flatten them out. Maybe some loopies framing the signatures? Your loopies in the sashings look great and the whole quilt is wonderful....your co-worker will love it!!
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    327
    Sometimes that works itself out once the quilt is washed. Great job. The key, in my opinion, to a wonderful quilt is not perfection, it is the love that is stitched throughout.



    Quote Originally Posted by scu114 View Post
    Thanks for replies. I tried to baste it and I thought my top looked so nice when I finished. I did pins and hand basted. I think with all the pushing and moving in the machine-loosened it-- is that possible? I need to know for next time right? lol

    I did the loopy di loop design FM-- just in the green sashings down and across. The blocks are 5 inch blocks. quilting lines make a 6 1/2 inch grid on the back.

    If I do the SID- do I go all around the outside and inside the 5 inch block or in each of the blocks within the 5 inch block? Do I do this with a walking foot or free motion foot? I like the idea of the serpentine stitch -- where would you do that?


    I am just beside myself as I was asked to do this for a friend and I couldn't say no-even though they knew I am just learning and now I fear I have made a mess of it.

    Thanks for helping me make it presentable.
    <a href="http://www.mylivesignature.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54489/336/AFDCC36A59CDFF42A211209DA03F222E.png" style="border: 0 !important; background: transparent;"/></a>

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
    Stitch In the Ditch would definately take care of most if not all of your problem. From the looks of it, you might not have basted enough.
    ditto this! the general rule of thumb is that no space larger than your closed fist should be UNquilted! meaning about 4-5" of open space! I prefer more like 3-4"! It looks great though, I think you did fine!

  20. #20
    Super Member patdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    So. Fla now, Va orig
    Posts
    1,567
    Yes, the first quilt I ever did had this problem in the larget center block which happened to be a print so I outline quilted each of the center blocks. Since this is a signature type, why not use some straight line quilting like diamonds, or spaced lines around the signature blocks. If you are really ambitious you could stipple, but straight spaced pattern would go faster.
    pat design

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    you definitely have to secure those blocks either with a SID or serpentine as suggested...then in those signature blocks SID or do an X or something in the colored parts of the signatures to lock that down further, and in the pic block(s) outline that pic to lock it in further. that should eliminate the blousey look......

  22. #22
    Senior Member Momo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seale, Alabama
    Posts
    617
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a great going away present. I like your colors and your quilting is nice. I'm no one to offer advice as a novice, but reading all the help info is a great help to me.
    Abiding in the Vine

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,295
    How about criss-crossing the blocks so that there is an "X" in each one?

  24. #24
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,946
    I have no suggestions to help, but it's a pretty quilt!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

  25. #25
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    34,878
    I can't help on this one. Next time do quilting of whatever sort in order. I always quilt next to quilting and just do a large stipple or meandering stitch. Make sure your top is flat when you start pinning, I use large safety pins. Don't take out too many while you are quilting. The type of batting you use doesn't matter, I use poly batting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.