Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love/Hate >

Love/Hate

Love/Hate

Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I have developed a love/hate relationship with PP. I love working them, but I don't like unsewing the tiny stitches (when I make a booboo) and dislike tearing the paper off the back when the block is finished. Aaaah, such is the joy of quilting. :)
Look into using Freezer Paper!! I'll never use anything else. You don't sew through it, you fold it and sew right next to the fold! Use the template over and over. No tearing off.

There is a tute on the web that I'll see if I can find. I want to do a tute here for NY Beauty but no camera at present!

Here it is!
http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

I cut my fabrics much closer to the size of the piece I need.

I posted a picture of mine on a recent posting about getting freezer paper in Australia.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
I have a DD who likes to tear the paper away for me!!!
I discovered one of those today. My almost 7 yo decided she'd like to try it. She's pretty good at it!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Look into using Freezer Paper!! I'll never use anything else. You don't sew through it, you fold it and sew right next to the fold! Use the template over and over. No tearing off.
I've done that and it works like a charm. I learned to use an old needle and perforate the freezer paper pattern so it is easier to fold. The using the zipper foot, you can get real close to the folded edge. No tearing (usually :oops: )
Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 PM

My husband makes quilts using foundation piecing and you don't stitch through the paper. You trace the design on the paper and with no thread in your sewing machine, you sew around the pattern and make holes. The holes are your fold line for pattern. You fold the pattern and you sew next to paper, not through it.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 AM

sorry I just despise paper piecing....it's just not for me.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I have developed a love/hate relationship with PP. I love working them, but I don't like unsewing the tiny stitches (when I make a booboo) and dislike tearing the paper off the back when the block is finished. Aaaah, such is the joy of quilting. :)

There is a tute on the web that I'll see if I can find. I want to do a tute here for NY Beauty but no camera at present!

Here it is!
http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

I cut my fabrics much closer to the size of the piece I need.

I posted a picture of mine on a recent posting about getting freezer paper in Australia.
I was going to suggest this exact same thing, ever since I found her tutorial I have used the freezer paper method too. It is the BEST!! So easy to get the fabric shape right, so easy to sew, and so easy to remove the freezer paper after (just peel it off, no stitches through it). I am using this method for most of my Dear Jane blocks and it is wonderful!!! I would highly suggest this method to everyone.

Rachel
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 AM

To print on muslin or any fabric cut freezer paper & fabric ~ ironed together of course ~the same size as a sheet of paper and cautiously feed it thru the printer. Works great but you have to keep an eye on it as it feeds thru.