Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Love/Hate

Blog Entries
    I have developed a love/hate relationship with PP. I love working them, but I don't like unsewing the tiny stitches (when I make a booboo) and dislike tearing the paper off the back when the block is finished. Aaaah, such is the joy of quilting. :)

Blog Entries
    ha ha, looks great in the long run, have fun

np3
    Blog Entries
    Funny!!!

When I PP, I quadruple check that my pieces are in the correct place and laying flat..I am with you, ripping the tiny stitches is a pain. But I do love to PP.

I too hate the small stitches when ripping out but I so love PP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I have developed a love/hate relationship with PP. I love working them, but I don't like unsewing the tiny stitches (when I make a booboo) and dislike tearing the paper off the back when the block is finished. Aaaah, such is the joy of quilting. :)
    You could use muslin for the foundation instead of paper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanjun

You could use muslin for the foundation instead of paper.
    Does that mean I wouldn't have to tear it off? How would I get the pattern printed on the muslin?

Blog Entries
    sent you a PM

I have a DD who likes to tear the paper away for me!!!

Blog Entries
    OMGoodness! I just took a class with RaNae Merrill and her spirals are all done via PP! You just have to take a look at her website & blog; her method is SO EASY and you don't leave the paper in. Check it out: http://www.ranaemerrillquilts.com/
    and http://spiromandalas.wordpress.com/; I got the book at Amazon.com; her 2nd book comes out sometine in November. No affiliation, just a really happy PP'r with her method.

Josi is FL

Blog Entries
    Look into using Freezer Paper!! I'll never use anything else. You don't sew through it, you fold it and sew right next to the fold! Use the template over and over. No tearing off.

There is a tute on the web that I'll see if I can find. I want to do a tute here for NY Beauty but no camera at present!

Here it is!
    http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

I cut my fabrics much closer to the size of the piece I need.

I posted a picture of mine on a recent posting about getting freezer paper in Australia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    I have a DD who likes to tear the paper away for me!!!
    I discovered one of those today. My almost 7 yo decided she'd like to try it. She's pretty good at it!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Look into using Freezer Paper!! I'll never use anything else. You don't sew through it, you fold it and sew right next to the fold! Use the template over and over. No tearing off.
    I've done that and it works like a charm. I learned to use an old needle and perforate the freezer paper pattern so it is easier to fold. The using the zipper foot, you can get real close to the folded edge. No tearing (usually :oops: )

My husband makes quilts using foundation piecing and you don't stitch through the paper. You trace the design on the paper and with no thread in your sewing machine, you sew around the pattern and make holes. The holes are your fold line for pattern. You fold the pattern and you sew next to paper, not through it.

sorry I just despise paper piecing....it's just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie

There is a tute on the web that I'll see if I can find. I want to do a tute here for NY Beauty but no camera at present!

Here it is!
    http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

I cut my fabrics much closer to the size of the piece I need.

I posted a picture of mine on a recent posting about getting freezer paper in Australia.
    I was going to suggest this exact same thing, ever since I found her tutorial I have used the freezer paper method too. It is the BEST!! So easy to get the fabric shape right, so easy to sew, and so easy to remove the freezer paper after (just peel it off, no stitches through it). I am using this method for most of my Dear Jane blocks and it is wonderful!!! I would highly suggest this method to everyone.

Rachel

To print on muslin or any fabric cut freezer paper & fabric ~ ironed together of course ~the same size as a sheet of paper and cautiously feed it thru the printer. Works great but you have to keep an eye on it as it feeds thru.