Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love my cats...  but.... >

Love my cats... but....

Love my cats... but....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Use a wet/damp wash cloth to gather it into fur balls I had the same thing happen with a quilt and my MIL de-furred it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
This sounds like a geat idea! I have 4 dogs and 2 cats so I will be trying this. I don't have the 3 months of build up but I am trying this method for sure.
I will add that this quilt had just been made, and never washed. (I love the look of a completed quilt washed afterward, not before. Although I pre-wash plenty of fabric on many quilts.) The quilt was covered with so much hair and some was actually stuck in the topstitching. The tape really pulled those hairs out of the stitches and any that were kind of stuck under the binding edges. I had used box tape before for getting hair off fast from clothing (doesn't it always happen you notice it just before going out the door?), and I wanted every last hair off this heirloom quilt that was to be a gift. It is amazing all the steps I had to do to take care of the problem, but it worked. When you have arthritis and bursitis, it is not easy grasping those hairs. Static Guard made it easy to get all the last hairs up that did not come up with the tape.
I again used this method when getting PUG dog hairs off vintage upholstered chairs. Worked beautifully. We originally tried the damp cloths for the quilt and the chairs. Just didn't do the job.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

I use all of the following to get hair off quilt:

1. Vacuum
2. Damp cloth
3. Lint brsh
4. CLothes dryer on air. I even do this several times. Also helps get rid of loose threads and such on completed quilt and just makes it fresh.
5. Hang outside on windy day.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Sorry no experence here but I was wondering about using fabric softner or some of the anti static spray??? Not pets here well except for DH calla
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

I like the Pledge one, too. Use it to clean my ironing board cover - muslin and lots of other things. Members on here advised us to cut a flap into the top so you could empty it and re-use. Works just great!

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
Pledge makes a pet fur remover that works really well. They call it the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. The downside is that it's expensive, $12 (cheaper through Amazon). But, you can empty it when it's full. Scotch also makes the Fur Fighter. I like the Pledge product better.

Janet
Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
A glove that you use to wash dishes will work to remove pet hair. It works great for car seats.
This is what I use too. It's using the usually annoying static to your advantage. Just put the glove on a rub gently and the hair will ball up and stick to the glove.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM

Default I made this mistake too......

Originally Posted by egagnon291 View Post
I was hospitalized in January for 29 days and then spent another 2 months recuperating. During this time I inadvertently left the quilt I was working on draped over the chair in my sewing room. Well, the cats decided this was the best place in the house to sleep. Now I have 3 months worth of cat hair embedded in the quilt. The quilt is almost finished. I have about 25% to finish the hand quilting on.

My question is: Does anyone have a good way to remove a lot of cat hair from the quilt? I have tried lint brushes and masking tape, but it is taking forever. Any suggestions appreciated.
I put a layered but not quilted quilt in a Rubbermaid box and moved it to my new house a few years ago. Somehow the lid got off and the cats decided it was the bed of a lifetime....evidently for quite some time before I found it. Tried everything and then gave up, finished it with some casual quilting, and threw it in the washer. (No, it wasn't meant to be an heirloom; it was a just fun quickie that got put aside in the move.) Pulled it out of the washer and threw it in the dryer with 3-4 fabric softener sheets with non-static treatment---and the quilt was defurred when it came out of the dryer.

Glad you are feeling better and are wanting to finish the quilt, though! Post pics????
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

When I complained that there was an unusual amount of cat hair on a window seat cushion, my sister whipped of her flipflop and swish, swish, swish the cat hair was rolled up in a wad and disposed of! Get the kind of flipflops with texture on the bottom. I went right out and bought a pair--one shoe to keep upstairs, and one to keep downstairs.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 AM

Scotch packaging tape. Vacuum cleaner with the small brush. Been there, done that. You won't get all of it, but you will get way more than you can with lint brushes and masking tape.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will incorporate them and get back to finishing my quilt.