Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love thangles?  Hate thangles? >

Love thangles? Hate thangles?

Love thangles? Hate thangles?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:49 PM

I love Thangles! They are great for creating accurately-sized HSTs without having to do the math to calculate how big to cut the squares or without having to draw a grid on your fabric, etc. The Thangles website has a great demonstration on making them and they also have a video: http://www.thangles.com/howtheywork.html.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM

So many great responses. I'm sure ONE of them will eliminate my frustration!!!!......I hope, I hope, I hope...........
Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
LOVE Thangles!
I also bought the "Triangle Magic" program to print my own in any size.
Me too!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:44 PM

USE A VERY SMALL STICH AND USE TWEEZERS TO PULL THE PAPER :D :D :D :D
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM

I have used them and triangles on a roll if i'm making a lot of hst. haven't had any problems.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I hated Thangles for pretty much all the reasons you stated. I don't think any other method of paper piecing HST is going to be much of an improvement.

The biggest advantage of Thangles over the square methods is you use the same size strips as you use for the rest of your project. The only other method I know of to make HST from rectangles is Sally Schneider's Gizmo. She's not taking orders until September though.
Have you ever considered the Wonder Cut Ruler (http://www.wondercutruler.com/ ) ? You can make tons of HSTs and QSTs with no measuring, and no pinning which many don't like about Thangles and other paper methods. I can make a few dozen HSTs in about 5 minutes with this ruler. You just need to use a little care (or a LOT of starch like me...LOL) when handling them due to bias edges. The biggest advantage of Thangles that makes removing papers, etc., worthwhile is the fact that the outside edges on on the straight-of-grain.

I am glad there are so many different methods out there; we can all find one we're comfortable with.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 AM

Don't really care for Thangles. And I really don't mind (most of the time) pp'ing. When I do HST's I just cut the blocks larger and trim down after sewing. I can't chain piece and be as productive with Thangles as I can with just doing blocks and squaring them up since I have to do the same squaring process with Thangles.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
I'm bookmarking all your suggestions for future referral. Presently I'm on my SECOND block of the month with thangles....I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.... :-)
Our monthly package comes with 2 1/2" strips so can't take advantage of some of your suggestions right now but will definitely try in the future. I use a 2.5 stitch and have tried creasing both directions before ripping still with no success. Gotta' be me, gotta' be me, gotta' be me :-(
I hate thangles, could not get them correct no matter what I did. I use triangulations software and print them on doodle pads from the dollar store. I sew at 1.6, 90 needle, and the doodle pads, the paper is so pulpy, the stitch small, the needle big and the paper peels off. No bitty pieces. I just did pinwheels and most of mine where on the money. This is my first time using for such a big project so I figure I sewed over the line a few times. They measure right on the money now.
Judi
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 AM

I have used thangles and had the same problems mentioned in other posts.
I like the method Bonnie Hunter demonstrated in a lecture on using up scraps. Cut fabric 1/2 inch larger than finished HST. Place the two fabrics for the triangles right sides together. Then use the HST Easy Angle ruler by Sharon Hulltgren. Make sure you have and accurate 1/4 " seam allowance. NO tearing off paper NO trimming up after. Simply press seams being careful not to stretch the bias and piece your quilt block.
Here is a six inch block I made using this method.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217411.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:32 AM

Try using Ta-Da Triangles
no paper to sew on or having to tear off.