Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: low contrast quilts? always fail?

Quote Originally Posted by SueJ View Post
    How about a rich dark green & a dark navy blue?
    Sue
    This is what I was going to suggest as well. Something dark. It seems like she likes green.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueJ View Post
    How about a rich dark green & a dark navy blue?
    Sue
    My thought too. a deep green would tie them together well, and a dark blue would give good contrast.
    good luck. you'll make it pretty for her. I believe in you.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I think a dark blue would be the only other I would use just to give it alittle extra pop...
    Kitty

Since your gran picked out the fabric for her quilt that she wants you to make for her, I'd have to think that those are the colors she wishes to have in her quilt. You don't have to love it, but it appears your gran will, and I don't think there's anything wrong at all with monchromatic quilts. In fact, they can be down right gorgeous!! Just my humble opinion. And that bright green floral will sing loud and clear!!!
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Jim
    If GRAN picked them out...I'd use them only...its her quilt and her choice of fabrics...that in itself will be beautiful to her not mentioning the fact that YOU made it for her..I think ALL the fabrics are lovely and will make a beautiful quilt...I think you will be more pleased using her selections

I wish my grandmother was alive so that I could make her a quilt...but she has been gone 32 yrs now. :-(
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    Sometimes low contrast quilts work just fine. It's the blended look and several books were written on it. If your Gran picked out the fabrics then she must love them and I would hesitate to introduce anything too bright or dark.
    I agree with this view. I see the darker check as the "dark". Another contributor earlier said something about assuring that the pinwheels showed good contrast. I agree with this also. I am one who likes low contrast. It works if it is well thought-out. Give it a try.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    You can make these fabric's work fine I think. Be careful with the placement and play with the placement. Of course you can make the fabric's she picked into a beautiful quilt. I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of making a quilt with the fabric she picked out. Grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I think you know your Grandmother better than we do. If you feel she would be fine with the additions, I would make them. I think you will have a nicer quilt as a result. I know my Granny always wanted the nicest possible and would want me to strive for that.
    Vicki W

Here's a low contrast quilt.

Name:  DSCN2357sm.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  65.4 KB

And another one.

Name:  DSCN2364sm.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  68.5 KB

They're both UFOs right now.

Scissor Queen, I LOVE that first quilt!!! It's so nice, not to have anything "POP!" at me.

Quilts are much like music. I enjoy rock and roll, country, etc. but I also love listening to symphonies.
    Last edited by Neesie; 05-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Again, unless your gran asked you to "fix" it, use her fabrics and keep your need to "fix" at your side until a project you're doing for yourself.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Your "example" quilt is tied together by the darker cornerstone pinwheels. Add just a cornerstone fabric to what was chosen.

Blog Entries
    Name:  jills.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  788.6 KBi made this quilt for a sister in law a couple years ago- as you can see the star blocks are all creams/tans- very low contrast- but work well---you do not always have to add a WOW---sometimes subtlety is nice too.
    i think your grandmother's choices are beautiful- and would not add something with high contrast....but that's just my opinion.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    Sometimes low contrast quilts work just fine. It's the blended look and several books were written on it. If your Gran picked out the fabrics then she must love them and I would hesitate to introduce anything too bright or dark.
    I agree... sometimes subtle is the way to go. I remember a quilt on Fons & Porter that was super low contrast (it was a sideways tumbler strippie pattern... Rosie Something?) & I LOVED it! I say go for it. As I get older, I like things quieter, too... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Please look at the quilt I made with similar colors. It came out really soft and inviting looking, without the need for any OOMPH! It was the plan that it be neutral, and the colors worked out perfectly.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t188735.html
    Everytime I look at that neutral quilt, the more I fall in love with it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    Here's a blue and green quilt I made recently with not much contrast except for some darker green thrown in - it becomes a very soft and calming quilt. I like your colors and think the blu echeck might turn out to be more of a contrast than you think right now, depending on the percentage of use.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t186376.html
    Love it... again! It's so serene!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

i just finished the first row and it is certainly *not* a failure!

it is so damn pretty i think my gran is going to burst! and it really will light up the room it is being made to live in.

oh. i am so pleased. i love that first moment when you get something together and you did it. it really really works.

i'll post some pictures when the top is all done. i'm hoping that happens tomorrow!

and much gratitude from me to you for sharing your pictures and thoughts. they are both appreciated more than i can say

wish me luck!

aileen

Blog Entries
    Aileen, I am so happy for you.
    Sadiemae

well..the top is finished and i think it's so pretty. i'll take it to my gran on monday. i'll let you know what she says.

Name:  7278239058_b61358cbd3_b.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  529.3 KB

Name:  7278233406_07ce64668e_b.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  678.3 KB

now accepting all quilting suggestions!!!

if i had more time (i feel like i am somehow racing....) i would handquilt an amish daisy chain with the flowers landing on the small pinwheels and the chain crisscrossing through the sashing and blocks. maybe it's time to learn how to machine quilt something more interesting than grids and straight lines

aileen

those photos don't do the colours any favours. maybe once it's done a truer picture could be taken outside. i hope so.

oh.

i love this moment, whenthe last stiitch has gone into the top and you get to see it.

yes.

yes.

aileen

Please stay with your grammies colors.You have enough in HER selection to make a very soft quilt......
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
    well..the top is finished and i think it's so pretty. i'll take it to my gran on monday. i'll let you know what she says.

Name:  7278239058_b61358cbd3_b.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  529.3 KB

Name:  7278233406_07ce64668e_b.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  678.3 KB

now accepting all quilting suggestions!!!

if i had more time (i feel like i am somehow racing....) i would handquilt an amish daisy chain with the flowers landing on the small pinwheels and the chain crisscrossing through the sashing and blocks. maybe it's time to learn how to machine quilt something more interesting than grids and straight lines

aileen

It turned out totally gorgeous! Aren't you glad you didn't add anything to it!!

How beautiful! Here you were worried all this time about it being too bland....it's actually quite "zingy". I have no suggestions on how to machine quilt it.....I am still ditching and doing grids (I am by nature a handquilter). It's been fun watching this thread. Please let us see when it's quilted.

It turned out quite lovely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3