Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: low contrast quilts? always fail?

Blog Entries
    Please look at the quilt I made with similar colors. It came out really soft and inviting looking, without the need for any OOMPH! It was the plan that it be neutral, and the colors worked out perfectly.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t188735.html

I love the quilt just like it is!

Blog Entries
    It isn't that low contrast quilts fail, it is just a personal preference for each of us. I love contrast, and the quilts that I have been disappointed in are those with low contrast. Others who have seen them--love them, so it is just our individual tastes.
    Sadiemae

thank you for this tread so incredibly much!

the more i look at these hanging on my ironing board the more i can see it in my mind.

i do think a blue for those mini-set pinwheels might work, but i'll futz and see.

the quilt jljack posted is perfect.

oh! i am so very happy to have found this board, this community and all of you!

aileen

Blog Entries
    yes in looking at the fabrics you got i immediately thought of a dark blue. good luck. and have fun!!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Please look at the quilt I made with similar colors. It came out really soft and inviting looking, without the need for any OOMPH! It was the plan that it be neutral, and the colors worked out perfectly.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t188735.html

That's the one I wanted you to refer to.

Why do we think everything has to POP! Serenity, calmness, and quiet can be nice, too.

Love the pattern and your Gran's fabrics. Great posts to this thread...sometimes the "quieter" quilts hold more appeal. Be sure to show us what you come up with....we love pics

I'm going along with Sue and PaperPrincess a dark green or deep navy blue would provide the contrast you are looking for and keeping within the Gram's color scheme. A beautiful dark green is what I personally would choose. I love the pattern and know that fabrics you currently have will be fabulous for such a design. Gram will love it and cherish you even more than she does not. Have a wonderful time creating your masterpiece, your Gram will only see the love and care you put into it for her!

This quilt is something I had in mind for my next project. Where could I find this pattern? Thanks girls, I think you all are awesome and I have learned so much! Sorry I'm not much help with the advise yet like you all, but I will get there someday...

Blog Entries
    Here's a blue and green quilt I made recently with not much contrast except for some darker green thrown in - it becomes a very soft and calming quilt. I like your colors and think the blu echeck might turn out to be more of a contrast than you think right now, depending on the percentage of use.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t186376.html

Quote Originally Posted by teriann View Post
    This quilt is something I had in mind for my next project. Where could I find this pattern? Thanks girls, I think you all are awesome and I have learned so much! Sorry I'm not much help with the advise yet like you all, but I will get there someday...
    The pattern is called 'Pinwheels & Peonies', designed by Anita Peluso. It was in the April/May 2012 issue of McCall's Quick Quilts which you can still get on the McCall's site.
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/quick...eels___Peonies
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueJ View Post
    How about a rich dark green & a dark navy blue?
    Sue

thank you....why add another color? just enhance what she picked...I vote navy, but if green is what she is really wanting, then go with a nice rich hunter or emerald!

Nothing wrong with low contrast quilts...I am sure your Gran will LOVE whatever you make for her. That said, as Sue said, adding a green and blue would probably give you the contrast it sounds like you may want in the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Not to change the subject but is this a pattern or did you make it up, I would love to make a quilt like this and I am not to good at creting my own. I like them both so what ever color you use your grandma will love it because of the love you put in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Not to change the subject but is this a pattern or did you make it up, I would love to make a quilt like this and I am not to good at creting my own. I like them both so what ever color you use your grandma will love it because of the love you put in it.
    The pattern details were posted already ... it's a McCalls pattern, so easily acquired!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I think Grandma had a natural talent for selecting fabrics that go excellent together and have plenty of contrast. They are just quiet and soothing-peaceful to her maybe? It will be beautiful when you are done and she will cherish it, coming from a special lady in her life!!
    jillnjo

I don't quite understand why you took her to pick out HER CHOICES . . . and now you want to change the overall look of them. Seems if she wanted a "pop" or dark fabric in there, she'd have chosen one. To change anything, says you don't value her judgement. I'm sure she'll be gracious about whatever you choose to do, but if I were your gran, my feelings would be very hurt, for being "second guessed."

If she chooses the fabric, you should make it as she wants. Maybe she would prefer a calming quilt for sleep rather than one with ooomph?????
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Love the colours just as they are...all you need to add is plain white. Huge value changes are definitely not necessary to make a beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    She picked out fabric colors and designs she liked, each piece as a whole. When used in a quilt, home decorating, clothing, it takes accessorizing to make the colors be just what the person wanted but didn't know they wanted. I would certainly add a med contrast to the mix.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    You are making it as a gift for her, she picked out the fabric, paid for it, and if that is the colors she wants and she is 88 yrs old, why not give her what she wants instead of putting what you think it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
    thoughts? opinions? please?

aileen
    I use photoshop for situations like this. Here's a jpeg of options for five different colors. I like the forest green and the burgundy.
    Name:  GreenChallenge.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  187.2 KB

i was with her when we bought the fabrics, and we talked about maybe needing to add something or other. i told her we wouldn't worry about it right then because i hadn't even conceived of a pattern and i thought maybe i could use some of the fabrics i already had at home if i needed them.

to be honest we stopped at the fabric shop just to pick up some safety pins for another quilt i was basting. it was a very spontaneous event, and we bought what we liked and thought might work. i think she has been waiting for me to make her one, and basting yet another one at her house for someone else was one step too far! you'd have to know my gran to know why i haven't done this for her yet, but to say that growing up she had these gorgeous white chenille bedspreads that jackie o had chosen for the white house and currently sleeps under a crisp white duvet with inset eyelet lace and white satin ribbon, about as classy and clean as you can get. not so much the scrappy american quilting tradition i love and work in, though i had considered a whole cloth quilt for her a few times but my stitching is simply too slow. it would be a memorial quilt for sure if i ventured down that road.

i don't imagine she will be hurt or at all surprised to find that i have added a fabric or two. i know that all quilts don't have to be eye-poppers or striking, and i've even made two cool and cozy quilts. i guess what i was worried about was bland as opposed to warm, boring as opposed to comforting.

thanks again for your thoughts and opinions. they really helped a lot!

aileen
    Last edited by stillclock; 05-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.

I think it looks like she likes green. Maybe pick a couple of darker/brighter greens to go with it? I know you'll make it work!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I like to colors. If you want to add an "oomph" color how about a pretty yellow for the little stars. I just love blue and yellow together. It's the love that's important. Good luck
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast