Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low Tech Quilting >

Low Tech Quilting

Low Tech Quilting

Old 09-26-2021, 04:48 AM

My late DH and I started quilting in the early 1980's and were definitely low tech. He would never use anything but scissors for cutting (I do use a rotary cutter now). He was a math whiz and made his own patterns, even for Double Wedding Ring. I think he would find it funny that people use a die cutting machine to cut squares. But I guess it is probably faster.

I have always done hand quilting, tried it on a machine once and it was a big nope for me. I was kind of shocked when I joined this board and saw all the "high-tech" things people used for quilting.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:18 AM

Years ago, employees at my office joined together to make baby quilts as gifts to those expecting. Many in the group had never sewn. Many did not have an iron or ironing board. Most did not have a sewing machine. We put together kits for each block and had get togethers at lunchtime where the 3 quilters in the group provided irons and needles and threads. Even after we made 10 or so quilts, only a couple became converts and wanted to learn more about quilting.

I can see the attraction of minimalist quilting for those times in your life when you don’t want to add to your “stuff”. I can also see the attraction of only using recycled clothing or sheets to reduce the impact on the environment.

But I’m not sure it’s “low tech” to shun the use of a sewing machine. The Singer sewing machine was patented in 1851. The first electric sewing machine was patented in 1889 and the first electric iron was patented in 1881. I have a quilt which was hand-pieced and quilted, but when it came time to put on the binding, the “ladies at the church” got out the machine.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:48 AM

Machines are out there. Often unused and just sitting there. Ask around. Whenever I know of a new quilter. I send them looking for precuts. Wide variety, many different fabrics, just add a solid and they can make a great coordinated quilt. Cake mixes using layer cakes can really help, just sew on the line and cut apart.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but if my introductory to quilting was hand stitching, I doubt if I ever would have learned to quilt. I also think that a single stitch machine is all that is really needed for most jobs. Access to cheap machines are plentiful. If transportation is someone's problem, then shopgoodwill.com should do the trick. Also, simple machines are plentiful on that site. I have purchased a few and have had good luck. I also think if your aim is to teach making quilts, it's the fabric that's going to do you in if your on a serious budget. But of course, maybe it's just me. To me, the machine makes it the fun part.
I agree. I never would have continued quilting if I'd had to do it all by hand. I do like hand sewing and usually have an EPP or embroidery project going, but it very slow and laborious. Most newbies don't have the patience to wait for 6 months to see any result.

I also agree that a straight stitch machine is all that's needed for quilting and they're easy to find. I saw a really nice 301 in a cabinet at a garage sale for $125 the other day. She wasn't busy and said she was just looking to get rid of stuff. I probably could have bought that machhine for $75.

Fabric can be had at garage sales. I've never seen it at Goodwill or thrift stores here, but I'm sure some area have it. Watching for sales and coupons is also an option.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

The only things I do by hand are sewing on buttons, bindings , embroidery and appliqué. While you can teach how to hand sew a nine patch together, I don’t don’t think hand sewing makes a very sturdy top. In the old days, hand piecing was what you did but they also hand quilted lines every 1/2 to an 1 inch. The close quilting helped to secure the hand pieced top.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

For a comparison -

I think it is still useful to have a pen or pencil and paper around to write on even though I have word processing on this computer.

I think knowing how to hand piece does not negate using a sewing machine - nor is it "wrong" to know how to hand sew if one has the latest and greatest in sewing machines.

It is just another way to accomplish something.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I belong to a group that gets together to quilt once a week. We get donations of fabric from people who have passed or just stopped sewing. This may be a source of fabric for you. We saved fabric for a girl who was doing a school project once. Talk to the director, I bet she would be willing to help you. She may even offer space and a machine for you to use. I am so glad to hear you want to help these girls.
Forgot to mention where we meet. We meet at the Senior center
Old 09-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of "low-tech quilting."

Lovely things can be made with a relatively low investment for tools and materials.

I feel very overwhelmed when the "necessary list" seems to include - most, if not all, of the following:

A long arm machine - preferably one that can load a king-size quilt
A die cutter for fabric - with all the dies available
The very top of the line computerized sewing sewing machine - or several - for different colors of threads and settings
Quilter's Select rotary cutters- at least one of each size, mats, and rulers (all of them available)
At least a roomful of fabrics, battings, and threads.
A computer, printer, and internet connection to spend time at/on the Quilting Board
A couple of design walls
Enough storage space for all this so items can be located
And adequate working space to spread all this out in to be able to function.

Nothing wrong with having all the goodies - but one can start out "small" -

Old 09-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I am with some, machine sewing and quilt making is the only way I would have ever sewn anything. I no longer hand sew on bindings. My hands cannot tolerate it anymore.

I have other machines but the two machines I use all the time are straight stitch only.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:21 PM

I think some forget the times we are in right now. Having $$ to buy food and pay rent is short for many. Buying a machine and all we consider necessary may not be an option for all. I do love my machine but at times I enjoy hand work. Cindy Blackberg does a lot of hand piecing. She has some nice ideas to look at