Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS likes/dislikes? >

LQS likes/dislikes?

LQS likes/dislikes?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedrunner
I can't thank you ALL enough for your generous and honest thoughts and inspiration for me! :) I'll share location, website and everything with you as this thing gets closer and more "realistic". :) Wow! You all are phenomenal! There is so much here I will use.
One more thing ... my favorite LQS has a "gentleman's" corner in one corner of the classroom. In front of a fireplace, there are two comfy recliners with a table filled with interesting magazines. At least two or three times when I have been there, a husband has been sitting in the recliner reading a magazine while his wife is happily looking through the fabrics. They really light the fire (gas logs) in the winter. Cozy!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedrunner
I can't thank you ALL enough for your generous and honest thoughts and inspiration for me! :) I'll share location, website and everything with you as this thing gets closer and more "realistic". :) Wow! You all are phenomenal! There is so much here I will use.
One more thing ... my favorite LQS has a "gentleman's" corner in one corner of the classroom. In front of a fireplace, there are two comfy recliners with a table filled with interesting magazines. At least two or three times when I have been there, a husband has been sitting in the recliner reading a magazine while his wife is happily looking through the fabrics. They really light the fire (gas logs) in the winter. Cozy!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM

I could do without home deco and furnishings and such and just have sewing stuff.

Beginner classes for us newbies! I don't even know much about the machine!

Nice bathrooms.

Lotsa patterns for easy projects.

Maybe classes covering the 'new latest and greatest' gadgets. Kinda like Missouri Star Quilts does on youtube.

All staff being quilters/sewers themselves. This helps a lot.

Multiple cutting tables. I hate waiting an hour in line for material to get cut.

Advice: I was at Hancocks and the manager told me that she was getting robbed blind by people shoplifting rotary cutters, blades, and other items. Might wanna think about how you will display these items so that you won't have the same problem. It's sad to even have to consider that....but that's the reality of our times. It is what it is. :(
Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 PM

I've been in a couple of dozen quilt stores at least. The best ones are warm and inviting and encourage you to spend time browsing.

The worst ones are just stores. They're get in, get out. They aren't inviting enough to spend any real time browsing.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Friendly sales people and great fabric selection are the musts. For me a big turn off is pets in the shop.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 PM

I say ditto to what has been mentioned about friendly, knowledgable, helpful salespeople, cozy but not crowded fabric displays, name of pattern attached to each quilt or other item (tote or whatever) on display and patterns available for each, flexible hours, variety of classes/demos for quilters of all degress of expertise (clearly stated which level a particular class/demo is primarily geared to), nice clean restroom, comfortable place to sit, and some sort of play area for kids.

The place to sit and play area for kids can be really important for us babysitting grammys who shop two at a time with one or more little ones. My friend and I visited a new (to us) LQS in our general area - less than an hours drive - a short time ago. The sitting and play area only took up a very small space, but was such a treat. There were 2 comfy chairs, a small footstool and a basket of quilting magazines in the sitting area. The play area was on one of those rugs (24x36 I think but maybe as large as 36x48) with the streets printed on to run toy cars with a couple of cars, a small stuffed animal or two, and a little bookshelf with about a dozen or so books of a variety of reading levels. Very simple, but enjoyed greatly by the 5 y/o DGD we had with us. I especially enjoyed the sitting area as I had an infected foot that needed to be propped up while my friend continued shopping. We did not spend a lot that day but we will both be going back as time and finances allow.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Somebody mentioned pets in the store. I agree - no pets. I happen to be allergic to dogs and cats. The last thing I want is to spend time in the same room as them and then bring home fabric with pet hair on it. One shop owner said, "Oh, she doesn't shed." It doesn't matter - the dander is what gets me!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 PM

What works best for me & encourages me to buy is to have finished samples displayed around the shop.

Used to go to a shop where the owner was always busy chatting with a friend of hers & ignored customers. All of my friends complained about it so most of us went to the only other shop in town.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM

One more thing ... my favorite LQS has a "gentleman's" corner in one corner of the classroom. In front of a fireplace, there are two comfy recliners with a table filled with interesting magazines. At least two or three times when I have been there, a husband has been sitting in the recliner reading a magazine while his wife is happily looking through the fabrics. They really light the fire (gas logs) in the winter. Cozy![/quote]

this sounds like a dirty thing, but i get what you are saying. an area for hubby and kids to sit is always a plus. especially if you have a small snack area where you can purchase a nibble or two. if men are fed they are happy to wait longer.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Katia
When I was visiting my sister in TX we went to a quilt shop in New Brunfels that was everything I could imagine in a perfect quilt store. There was the usual classroom and sale fabric area, lots and lots of patterns. Lots and lots of samples quilts and things made from the patterns they had. They had both modern fabrics as well as everything else, and the place was a kaleidoscope of color. But the best part was the staff. I picked up the bow tuck pattern and some focus fabric in the sale area for it, and the older gal told me all the ins and outs of making them. Then a younger gal came and helped me pick out fabrics for the rest of the bag. I could have spent all day there as well as a lot of money. It was so refreshing to be in a store that was friendly and helpful as well as up on all the newest things. It is a good thing I don't live in the area or I would spend a fortune there.
do you remember the name of the shop, I visit my son in San Antonio frequently, thanks