Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS likes/dislikes? >

LQS likes/dislikes?

LQS likes/dislikes?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ladydi64
I have 2 LQS that I use one is in Fredricksburg,TX and the other is in Kerrville, TX. It's a day trip to go to either of them for me but both have web sites that are real informative. The one in Kerrville is my favorite, they let me know by email when they are having a sale, and what a sale they have bags & bags of scraps of material for $3 to $4 dollars. Their staff is terrific they are very helpful and knowledgeable, they are quilters themselves and they know all the ins and outs of patterns they've made that hang on the wall. If you have a pattern they will help pick out material. If you can get all of this in your quilt shop, you will have a terrific place to go for begginers as well as experienced quilters. Good luck.
the shop in Kerrville is called Creations and is so worth the drive. do you know the name of the shop in Fredricksburg? thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Ladydi64,
You must be talking about Creations in Kerrville ... One of my very fav shops, all time ... So creative, great fabrics & what a great group of ladies there, always fun to visit
Whenever we're up to the Hill country my DH knows we HAVE to make a detour to Kerrville & Creations !! :)
kerrville will soon be offering retreats in their newly accquired building, can't wait to see what they offer.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

My favorite quilt shop has friendly staff...helpful but leave you alone when you want to hunt for the perfect fabric for hours ?
Has staff who treats you like a friend....
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 AM

I have had the opportunity to travel a large part of the us and have been to many a quilt shop. Here are some you might think obvious-but experience has taught me differently-suggestions. I need something on the outside of the store to tell me what's on the inside. If you name your business...Pam's Fiber Fantasy, it doesn't tell me what's inside the store. I strongly recommend using the word quilt in the name. Also, I need to be able to tell from my moving car that you are open for business. You can do this with a flag that actually says open or potted plants--something that says you're in there. In conjunction with that, show me that i am welcome. Make your store as inviting as possible from the outside. When I step inside I need to get an idea of what kind of shop this is. Add some personal touches, and personality. My LQS is so bland I am bored to go in there. As for the inside, what lines you chose, and what you make is not as important as the following key things. Samples, samples, samples...you can't have enough of them. It's good for the customer to see them and will increase your sales dramatically. Have a website and sell on it, make sure you list your class schedule on your website. Most importantly, listen to your customers and their interests. Teach what they are interested in. Schedule the same class for a weekend, a daytime class and an evening class so everyone has an opportunity to take the class. Have a free rotary cutting class for new quilters. Good for business and keeps you, them and others safe. I could go on but I tried to stick to the basics. Best wishes.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 AM

I went to a quilt shop and took a class that was supposed to be quilting tips from Marti Michell. I was very, very disappointed because it was basically a trunk show of quilt she'd done and a pitch to sell her templates. Just showed you the quilt and told you it was done with XXX template set. Could have gotten as much info from her website without paying the cash and wasting two hours sitting in a quilt shop. Plus, she was snippy when I told her I had one of her template sets and would really have appreciated an additional piece.