Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS likes/dislikes? >

LQS likes/dislikes?

LQS likes/dislikes?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 AM

What draws me in is staff that treat everyone like and old friend, as if they were a constant costumer. We travel a lot, so I have gotten to go to many LQS. Most are so happy to see you and talk as though meeting you is the highlight of their day. I leave there thinking I wish this shop was closer to me. On the other hand, there is a LQS near my home and they cater to the regulars. The owner is so full of herself, who needs it. I don't go there any more.
After all, I'm spending money. I'm doing her a favor, she is not doing me one.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 AM

you could always "pay" your demo's people in a yard or two of fabric. hey do it like this a yard and hour or something like that. you will get lots of people who are willing to work for fabric. this can be done somewhat "under" the table. as they say.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 AM

I was just on a short trip and stopped at a LQS. I had heard that the owner was a bit of a snob and very critical of other quilter's work. Thank goodness she was not there. I enjoyed my stop for these reasons:

1. The 2 employees there were very friendly and welcoming without being smothering.

2. Samples hung all over the shop with the pattern name attached. What inspiration!

3. I was looking for 1 piece of fabric, didn't have the rest of the fabric with me, just the pattern. They pulled bolt after bolt down to help me match so I could buy just that 1 piece. Didn't make me feel like I was wasting their time.

4. Nice sitting area - for me or for someone who is waiting for me! Coffee would be a nice touch.

Good luck - and where is your store located?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 AM

I can't thank you ALL enough for your generous and honest thoughts and inspiration for me! :) I'll share location, website and everything with you as this thing gets closer and more "realistic". :) Wow! You all are phenomenal! There is so much here I will use.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Oh, yeah!. Someone else just mentioned that! A nice place to sit/wait while the other person is shopping. Or even just a chair in a corner.

The Dade City, FL shop has a chair inside - and I've seen it occupied by a gentleman many times - and a bench outside.

One can shop longer if the driver is more or less comfortable.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Quality classes with a sample displayed in the store and online.

Nice lighting including some natural window light.

Offer classes at different times for working and non working.

Friendly, knowledgeable staff.

Coffee area with sit and sew is nice, but not totally required.

Music is fine, but I would prefer no smells. Lots of people have fragrance issues.

Coupons get me in the door. Then I always spend more. Send out via email.

Do offer sales from time to time. Again gets people in the door and makes you more competitive with the box stores.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 AM

As many have stated, friendly staff. (Grouchy seems to be the norm!!). Probably more expensive upfront, but having the latest fabrics,books and patterns keeps me coming back. (Discount stores like JoAnn, have books that have been out for 2+ yrs.)
I personally like ambience (I know its shallow!) but some shops have things like a fireplace, or comfortable area to browse thru books or for husbands to relax in.
Good size cutting area where you can stack up bolts that you want cut.
A knowledgeable staff that can help pick color palettes or determine amounts of fabric needed for a project.
Good luck with your new endeavor!!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM

One of the quilt shops in town had a fireplace in the main part of the store. There was a couch and a table with magazines. The men would sit there and have coffee ( sometimes cookies were provided)and read while the women shopped. Unfortunately, the store merged with another one and all that stopped. Now I don't hardly ever go in there because the atmosphere is different.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM

I like lots of good lighting, no bolts of fabric on the floor leaning against things, roomy aisle space, if you say you are going to order something for a customer than do it, and open Sundays.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
1. Owner and Employees to be friendly and helpful.

I was at a LQS (Local Quilt Store) last month and the owner and 2 employees never recognized anyone was in the store shopping, I was in the store for about 30 minutes and decided to leave as no one said hi, asked me if I need help or anything

2. Have a sew day where you can take a project in and sew and if you have any ? someone is there to help you out

3. demonstrations on rulers, etc.

4. classes (so we can learn more) and offer the classes at different times, day, evenings, weekends

5. Have an area to sit and relax if you need to

6. Samples & Demonstrations

Thanks again for starting this thread!
all the above. But no music please. LQS should be like libraries
peaceful. Don't get me wrong, I love music, but I've been in too
many places where the music is not my choice or its so loud you
can't hear yourself think or have a nice conversation. Most places
play it so loud I just turn around and leave without buying.