Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS likes/dislikes? >

LQS likes/dislikes?

LQS likes/dislikes?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

I really think it comes down to how much space a quilt store has. I also like that I know when I go to one LQS they are highlighting civil war prints, so if I want 30s prints, I go somewhere else. I don't waste my time driving to the store hoping I will find something to go in a project, if I know they might or might not be currently carrying something.

I don't like it when stores try to cover too many "genres" of fabric so they only get a few bolts instead of an entire "collection."
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM

You might also consider selling your fabrics/products online....less costly to you than a brick and mortar shop and helpful to defray costs of all the wonderful ideas that have been given to you here.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I think it's okay to specialize in one sort of fabric/line - I think I would rather have a fairly complete selection of one type - example - civil war - and maybe skip the 30's reproductions - than 6 of one and 6 of another - it would be difficult (and expensive) to carry everything of every line. (or vice versa)

If people sign up for classes, be nice to the student that bought his/her fabric from somewhere else.

Be nice to everyone - the big spenders and the "just lookers" - the "just lookers" might have big spending acquaintances.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
JoAnn's offers classes, I have never attended as it is taught by their staff, who aren't the best trained in short cuts.
This all depends on where and when you take the classes. They do allow people that don't work there to teach classes (at least at my Jo-Ann's they do) I have taken several classes at my store, they were taught by the head of the education department, who is also an avid quilter. I loved her classes, and she was able to offer lots of good advice and shortcuts.
I just wanted to let you know, you might want to give the classes at Jo-Ann's a chance! Be sure to sign up during an open house (usually on a Saturday) though, as you pay a discounted price for the classes (usually 50% off!)
Sorry to jump into the conversation!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Two LQS lost my business because they said they gave a discount on your birthday. But it had to be the very day, not the weekend before or after. I happened to be off on my birthday, went in and the clerk didn't know about the discount. The other owner flat out lied when I asked her about it although she had mentioned in at the local guild meeting. Not recognizing me when I came in, she said they quit giving a discount years ago. She eventually went out of business.
One shop in my area, Quilters Cottage in Richmond Texas,
is great. They offer real sales on fabrics very reguarly so they turn over the merchandise very quickly.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM

I like my LQS as they have demos almost every week. Saturdays would be the best times for these. She asks people who have knowledge of something to do a demo, with handouts. It brings people into the shop and they usually spend. There are quilting classes offered and the info about the class along with the end project is on display. Some clubs are good to get started. These have gone much by the wayside at our LQS. Beware of clickish type attitudes among your workers. This could be the reason the clubs are not doing well. Those you know who would like to teach applique or block of the month, can keep the shop hopping if it is on board with your guests. If it ends up being the same o same o cuz the leader only wants to do one type of quilt, then it could leave your guest out in the cold. Offer deals, sales, and I love a free piece of fabric or a discount after you buy a required amount.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Good lighting, good hours, friendly staff that are knowledgeable, good layout of fabric, and by all means NO CATS. I like cats, but when they are allowed to roam all over the shop, and the litter box is in the bathroom, its sure not a pleasant experience.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM

My favorite things in my LQS

Lots of projects/samples on the wall and classes for them.

I love the way my LQS has fat quarters cut for almost every bolt of fabric. They have a narrow shelf above each stack of bolts and it is so convenient to be able to pick up a fat quarter and not wait to have them cut. (Especially when you have a hubby waiting in the car, lol.)

I like to have help picking out fabric for a quilting project without seeming like I am a bother. Anyone can go to Joann's/Hancocks, etc but it is nice to have that individual attention when paying the higher prices.

The block of the month clubs are fun. Also, Jelly roll club where they make different projects, UFO days where you can sew for a day....Some LQS's have one night a month where they sew charity quilts (Project Linus, etc).

I like to be able to pick up that special ruler or tool I can't get at the chain stores.

Friendly staff.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Super good lighting is a must!!!
I don't like going into a shop and having to drag all the fabric I'm interested in - to the nearest window - or outside to see the color.
Inspiration - lots of samples.
Classes - different times to offer them.
Friendly staff!!
Keep in mind that you have the business to serve your customers, not just what you like.
Different threads on hand. It's hard to decided what you are going to quilt something with, so I like to have a couple of options.
Well, that should give you a good start on any changes you need to make.
Good for you to go for it!! Sometimes it takes time to do all that you want, so for you - be patient and listen to your customers.
Best of luck in your new adventure!!!
You go girl!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM

A few things that keep me going back to certain quilt shops:

- One store gave me a cloth shopping bag when my purchases approached $100. I get 10% off my purchases when I take it back on subsequent trips. Another store does the same with $50, but the bags aren't quite as nice, as if that matters!
- Another store has an old chest of drawers STUFFED with scraps of every size, shape and color. You grab what you want and they charge you something like a quarter an ounce.
- Fat quarter frenzies a time or two a year -- 10 FQ's for $10. Thread sales -- buy 2, get one free.
- 38" yards.
- Friendly, helpful, multi-generational, knowledgeable, non-judgmental, no-gossip staff.
- Quilts hanging all over the place for inspiration.
- File cabinet filled with free patterns of all sorts.

There are some very creative and considerate shop owners out there.