Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS likes/dislikes? >

LQS likes/dislikes?

LQS likes/dislikes?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

All of the above and teachers that stick to the subject. Many people have not taken speech class and don't realize that you have to project your voice.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Google Goddess

wow, it looks like you are getting lots of ideas, I can't wait for you to open your store and let us know how you are getting along
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

I just took a 3 hour class over the weekend from a great instructor. She was patient, helpful and PREPARED. She had printed instructions and little pre-cut sample in each stage with instructions written on them. Plus a pre-cut kit that we could work on. Then she had completed quilts to show the different concepts.

She knew how to demo. She did not hard sell but each of us spent money because she explained why you would want to have this or that.

This is the second class I have taken from her which says alot since I have to drive over an hour and a half to get there and I pass a dozen other LQS plus a Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Hancocks. Plus the class was on a weekend.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM

I love my lqs - the staff is friendly, helpful. They offer alot of different lines of fabric - a bit for everyone (even though I'd rather there were more 'northern' fabrics - I'm a northerner at heart!! There is no play area and does not seem to be a problem. No place for husbands to sit. They just rented more space - now have a bigger sewing/training classroom. I would love it if the store itself were bigger - just too close for comfort.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM

For us elders... a comfortable place to sit and rest, a clean bathroom, and carts to haul fabric bolts around. I have bad back, knees, and hip, I tire very easily, so lots of times I must leave the store before I'm really done shopping because there is no place to sit and rest. And everything already said about a friendly staff that knows what they are talking about. I wish you great success!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM

If I were going to open a quilt shop, I would visit a couple dozen award winning shops that were different. There are reasons these shops are successful and I would imitate them.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a whole lot to add to the great ideas of others but one thing I absolutely LOVE is a class where you bring your UFO's for several hours to work on, with the staff available to help. For a small fee you can figure out a problem, finish something, and have a blast with others :D
Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!
Oh- I love scents but I don't think they belong in a quilt shop!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:39 PM

The LQS here has a couple people that work there who are more into sewing clothing and not quilters. I had a question recently so thought I'd run it by the clothing person, and then a couple days later I asked the quilting lady that was working. Two completely different answers. My long arm lady was more knowledgable then either of the LQS ladies. Quess I know who to go to next time. Another shop further away has a couple really rude people there, I tend to that shop when those people have their day off,
Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi, If you are ever in the Louisville, Kentucky area there is a LQS that meets all the above requirements. It is called the Happy Heart Quilt Shop. It is in the southwestern part of Jefferson County, (Louisville) Kentucky. They have several helpful ladies who will help you with anything, they have a back room where you can work on projects and get help. They have lots of samples hanging in the shop, a wide variety of fabrics, and ALWAYS, a lot of fabric on sale. If you are ever in the area, check it out.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention..... they have a lady who will machine quilt for you if you are not in the mood to hand quilt.