Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS Won't Cut Fat Quarters? >

LQS Won't Cut Fat Quarters?

LQS Won't Cut Fat Quarters?

Old 02-06-2022, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't expect a store to cut a FQ for the reasons given here, but I do expect them to sell a 1/4 yard. My LQS has 1/4 minimum. When I worked at JoAnn Fabrics in the 90s, we cut any amount the customer wanted in a linear amount. I preferred at least two inches.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
What about all the fat quarter patterns? They must not sell those patters. Or do they combine them with FQ bundles? I haven't had a problem getting fat quarters around here or SW Mich when I visit there. I've done a few Turning 20 quilts(or Turning 12) & would hate to 1/2 yds.
If you can't buy the fat quarters you want already cut, you can always buy 1/2 yard. I don't worry about it. That fabric always seems to get used.

I can understand the shop not wanting to cut a fat quarter of a specific fabric. They have to cut 1/2 yard to give you a fat quarter and then have to sell the other fat quarter (hopefully). If the shop isn't really busy, they could end up with a lot of fat quarters that they can't sell which costs them a lot of money.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-06-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Hmm.... I've never asked about fat quarters. I agree - just buy half a yard and the other part will get used. I buy a lot of fat quarters, or I should say did. I'm trying very hard to use my stash! ( Don't hold me to it haha)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:44 AM

Like Susie, I've never thought to ask. I've only bought FQ as precuts.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:01 PM

I've never been in a quilt shop that wouldn't cut one if you needed it, in a particular line of fabric. But it's not surprising given the reasons others have mentioned.

What I did find surprising, is that one of the nicest shops in our area went on line during pandemic, and decided to not re-open as a bricks and mortar store.... on-line only. I supported them during pandemic, and even after, for awhile, I did porch pick up, when they could be open but chose not to... now, my money will likely go to another store. I'm very disappointed with their decision.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
What I did find surprising, is that one of the nicest shops in our area went on line during pandemic, and decided to not re-open as a bricks and mortar store.... on-line only. I'm very disappointed with their decision.
I was starting to see a lot of this in my area even before the pandemic. I think a big factor is savings. The owner can run it out of her/his basement or garage, so very low overhead - rent, utilities, insurance, even labor. The downside is our inability to pet the fabric.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:58 PM

Covid is still fairly common while it is decreasing. As I am older and have health issues, I will not be changing my masking, nor my shopping habits until the prevalence drops further. Both my local shops are still limiting the number of folks that can be in the store at any one time, and also requiring that masks be worn. I will continue to support local business that are enforcing masks for now even though the local government doesn't require them. I am perfectly happy with curbside pickup and only go to grocery stores that provide that service. It is your choice who you want to do business with. There are customers that only shop at places they can enter without masks and others where only masked people can go. I do have concerns however with the employees, especially ones who are older and have health concerns. It has to be hard to have to choose between their own health and a paycheck.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:41 AM

The LQS I frequented (before it closed) did not cut fat quarters, but they did have baskets of cut fat quarters for sale.