Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lst night I met the Quilt Police! >

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM

So,
the label is on the right hand side if looking at the front of the quilt and on the left if looking at the back?
K
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 AM

This is going to be the first year I don't put a quilt in the fair in the six years I have lived here. The judges know where the quilts come from (who) and often they are there when they take them in. This is a small town area. There is a political aspect to it I do believe. The part that gripes me the most is competing against a quilt that has been computer quilted--and every space on that quilt is filled and they ohhhhhhhhh and ahhhhhhhhh blue ribbons over the quilting rather than the quilt itself. They take the fun out of quilting; many quilters in the area will not put anything in because of this. Then they wonder why the entry number of quilts keeps falling.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by franie View Post
This is going to be the first year I don't put a quilt in the fair in the six years I have lived here. The judges know where the quilts come from (who) and often they are there when they take them in. This is a small town area. There is a political aspect to it I do believe. The part that gripes me the most is competing against a quilt that has been computer quilted--and every space on that quilt is filled and they ohhhhhhhhh and ahhhhhhhhh blue ribbons over the quilting rather than the quilt itself. They take the fun out of quilting; many quilters in the area will not put anything in because of this. Then they wonder why the entry number of quilts keeps falling.
Our classes for the most part are segregated ... hand quilting, DSM and LAQ.
Many classes are only for quilts that have been pieced and quilted by the same person.
A few classes will let you enter one that you had quilted by someone else.

All back to reading all the fine details and unique twists in the entry book.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
You did better than I would have. I'd have asked for someone else to check in my quilts.
I'm still reading the responses to this post. So far as I can see, not one of you comes from Brooklyn. I do. I don't object to this officious person explaining to the quilter that the label should have been placed in the lower left. What I object is the lecture. She had no right to "lecture" you, as if you had done some "wrong". You didn't do anything wrong. You just did something that you didn't know was not acceptable and didn't follow this show's regulations-- which are by no means uniform throughout the quilt world. Just remember, this was an inconsequential person, with a poor self image, who needed to prove how important her little life was. I pity such people; and sometimes, when I meet them in many circumstances when I'm not in a better mood, I let them have it--verbally that is. I'm too old to deal with these self-important people. There are nice ways of teaching and nice ways of explaining. She was not doing either of these in a nice way.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks for a good laugh....I like your sense of humor!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Best comment so far "Your can tell how to hang it by where I put the hanging sleeve." Unsaid : add "Stupid" to the previous sentence.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM

One reason I don't like to enter shows and the 2nd reason (at our fair in the adult division); they actually do NOT judge anything, they just walk around and stick ribbons on everything (quilts, photographs, canning, etc, etc). Guess it just adds to the 'country fair' charm to see all the items w/ribbons
Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Our county fair (Jefferson County, Tennessee) actually does judge things. They're a bit more lenient in the 4-H division, but in the adults, judges can be very picky. I work with the fair and see those things that the public doesn't always see - and hear some of the judges remarks. They don't just give away ribbons in our fair.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mzlisa View Post
Oops, I've been doing it wrong. I have put the labels on the few quilts I've made in the lower right hand corner.
Me too mzlisa! LOL
Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM

I always thought it was lower left from the front so it would be in the lower righ on the back. OH well, just call me dislessic (sp)