Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lst night I met the Quilt Police! >

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM

It seems to me that the if I were to try to peek on the back of a quilt for a label. I would try the lower right corner first and since they are displayed frontwards that would be the the left. Right? LOL
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

I didn't know there was a "rule" that labels should go in the lower left corner...I have always placed mine in the lower right corner...it seems to look better there to me.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 AM

"All quilts must have a fabric label with the name and address of the maker(s) attached to the back lower left corner of the quilt. Cover the quilt maker(s) name with a second piece of fabric wherever it appears on the quilt."

This type label sounds like a label for entry -- not necessarily something which would be a permanent part of the quilt. The address (and phone #) would used to get the quilt back to the quilter. There would be no reason why the permanent label couldn't be anywhere else you wanted on the quilt -- as long as the identifying information was covered if required.

As for hanging the quilt right side up, almost every show I've seen the rules for, required a hanging sleeve. Seems to me that would indicate the right side up from the quilters point of view. Of course there are a few exceptions. Last year I read a blog where the quilter was intending to put a sleeve on all 4 sides of her wall hanging so she could rotate the orientation. I think it had at least one sleeve on the quilt when she entered it into a quilt show -- but would you believe the organizers hung the quilt diagonally?

As for my labels, generally I put them on the lower right corner of the back as I face the back. But, I have put them in the middle of the back, I had one in the top left corner and then occasionally, I've been known to embroider on the binding! At the last quilt show I attended, the backing was pieced -- there was a pieced section inserted in the center of the backing and the label was in the center of the pieced section.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM

How funny, bet there is a rule at her house whether the toilet paper rolls off the top or the bottom. Quilters are for the most part very spontaneous and that's great, but we have to understand that there are those that have to follow rules. I agree it should have been in the instructions for showing the quilt if it made a difference to them.
I've never entered a quilt in a show for judging. I'm a bread and butter quilter not a show quilter.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
Finally, I just said "well, they are all portraits, so if the kids are standing on their heads, you have it upside down!"
LOL!!!!! You're funny! Next time, put the label on "right" so the kids are hanging upside down. It'll really mess with the quilt police heads.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
Yes, it is the lower left of the back. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it was funny she just kept telling me. If that is what they like, they should list it in the rules. The quilts all had the check in info attached in the lower left corner, not necessarily where the label was. It just tickeled me.
Well, you're a kinder more easy-going person than I am... tickled? That whole mess would have pissed me off!

If there are rules, then they should have properly and clearly listed them. Our guild got rid of the quilt police a few years ago and it's been smooth sailing since. We do help one another with "lessons" for the infamous quarter inch and color theory, etc. but "police" the group? HECK NO! NEVER! There are a few who have entered contests, county fairs, etc. It is all a learning experience, especially when shared with others like you have done.

I do hope you gain from this experience (I know I have) and do hope you win something! Best wishes and thanks for calming me down! Hahaha
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
LOL!!!!! You're funny! Next time, put the label on "right" so the kids are hanging upside down. It'll really mess with the quilt police heads.
WONDERFUL IDEA!!!! thanks for the laugh!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 AM

So, when you are looking at the back of your quilt, the label is on the left. I was taught to sew the label this way.