Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Machine is better (according to everyone here) >

Which Machine is better (according to everyone here)

Which Machine is better (according to everyone here)

Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

I have never seen the Pfaff but I love my Juki. It is my baby and finally got a frame to go with it this year.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nursie76
With the Juki on a frame, you could do up to a queen quilt, but you would start out with 6 1/2 inches quilting space and by the end maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches, so a large pattern wouldn't be possible. I bought mine used to learn and see if I would like that type of quilting. So far I have done only practice quilts tops, but I am liking it. Mine has been outfitted with a cruise control (stitch regulator) and a laser light so I can put a pantograph on the frames little shelf to follow the design. Course you have to get the smaller designs (about 4" ) I believe the Juki is considered a "short arm" quilter and have also seen it referred to as a mid-arm.

Here is some info on it from Juki:

http://www.juki.com/JusHome/sections/TL-98Q.html
I just quilted a queen size quilt on my Juki and had more than that at the end of the quilt. Closer to four inches. It worked just fine for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Littlehud - That's great! I was told a lot less...thanks! You have made me very happy!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM

Sorry, I can't help, but I know there are folks here who can. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Juki. I don't use a whole lot of fancy stitches, and have one little cheapy that does great for machine applique. But the Juki runs like a dream. I have her on the frame, and then off for piecing. And I wish I had 2.

She is the best machine I've ever had, including some with lots of stitches. I also have her up on a GMQ Grace frame and I disagree with the poster who says you will only end up with 2 1/2 inches of space. I have quilted 4 queen size quilts on her. (I don't have space in my room to go out to king on the frame.)

At the end of the quilt, I end up with about 4-5 inches of quilting space. Yes, it's narrow, but I can manage it. It makes me want a long arm, but when I get one, I'm keeping the Juki. In fact, if you don't want it..... That price is unbelievable! Just remember to oil her every 8 hours or so and she'll purr right along.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM

hazeljane - I am so glad to hear those of you who have experience with the Juki on a frame say there is more that 2 1/2 inches left at the end of a Queen quilt! When I purchased my Juki, the woman I got her from told me the part about 2 1/2 inches...I am so glad to hear she is wrong!!! I have a double sized top to quilt and I was concerned that I would lose many inches at the end. Should have asked you folks first, I wouldn't have been concerned.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 AM

I don't know but i think that's a great price!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 AM

It does narrow, but I use warm and white or warm and natural low loft and it doesn't narrow that dramatically. Else what would be the point?

I have been able, just, to do designs about 4 1/2 inches all the way down. By the end, it involves getting the rails JUST right, but you get good at that in a hurry.

I was going to post a pic, but it's not wanting to let me.

If you do pantographs, I think it would let you do almost all of them. I don't have the light or pointer, and prefer free motion. It'll be another year or so before I can afford a long arm, so I figure I'll get my kinks out here anyway.

Good luck, Nursie- give it a shot. The first big one, I just put two sheets and batting up and played- it's going to be a play quilt for my daughter's bunnies, so it didn't matter, but it did give me a good sense of the space I had.

As you can tell, I vote Juki. But then, I'm not a fancy stitch girl, so....
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Pfaff. You will love the duel feed.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Pfaff. You will love the duel feed.