Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine binding seams >

Machine binding seams

Machine binding seams

Old 01-31-2019, 02:26 PM

Default Machine binding seams

Last year, finishing my first quilt, I was taught to put on machine binding but my 'teacher' has moved away. I am using 2 1/2" strips folded in half. I am quite sure I sew the binding on the back first but she taught me to use a narrower or wider seam on the back and then when you sewed the front the other seam disappeared. It looks very neat and tidy but exactly how do you do it. Hoping someone knows and thank you for your help. Cheers, Kelsie
Old 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Use at least a full 1/4" seam . Sew on the back fold to the front and sew with the stitches right below the seam stitching on the back. I hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 PM

Hi Kelsie - if you google ‘applying a quilt binding’ you will get numerous links to help you, including YouTube videos.

When I first started quilting (two years ago!) I thought adding the binding the trickiest part to do but after a few bungled attempts it doesn’t seem so difficult now. I suppose it’s all down to practice and being able to accept that I’m not a perfectionist!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 PM

You'll be fine, Kelsie. It's really easy. Sew the cut edges of the binding to the front, then turn it to the back and hand stitch it down. The stitches won't show on the front because you'll be sewing through the backing and the batt.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:56 PM

There are many different ways to achieve a nice binding finish. I have stitched to the front and then to the back. You can also stitch to the back and bring to front for machine stitching.

I sometimes use almost a 3/8 inch seam for binding. There is almost equal parts binding on the front & back.

Make a few practice pieces of binding, attach to a scrap quilting sandwich and see which one works for you.

Also if you can shift the needle position Left or Right it helps get that last seam right where you want it to fall.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 AM

To add what all have already stated, this is a time you might want to try out one of your fancy stitches while sewing on the front side. This will make sure you cover it all and it will look fine on the backside too.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

My favourite machine binding is the QB tutorial by Charisma. It is under Quick machine binding with flange. It uses 2 width of fabric sewn together, folded, stitched to the back and machine stitched along the flange in the front. If you match your bobbin thread to the backing, the stitching line blends right in.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Be sure to practice turning corners so they have a mitered finish. Also, use a chair next to your machine to hold the quilt while applying the binding, it helps keep the quilt stable
Old 02-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I sometimes use almost a 3/8 inch seam for binding. There is almost equal parts binding on the front & back. Good Luck!
3/8 inch is a good width for 2.5 inch strips of binding. But if you sew 3/8 of an inch on your quilt top, you will sew off all your points in the edge, if you have them there.

I trim the batt and backing larger than the top, half an inch or so. No need to be accurate at this point. I sew the binding on the front with a 1/4 inch seam, using the edge of the top to line up the binding edge. Now I measure from the sewing line, with a ruler, and cut with ruler and rotary cutter exactly 3/8 inch from the sewing line. The cuts are just a few inches at a time.

When you turn the binding to the back, you have just enough to stitch-in-the-ditch from the front, and your binding will be full.

Last edited by maviskw; 02-02-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Thank you to all for your input but I must admit I am still fuzzy. I don't have points to worry about, it is a log cabin. Mavita your trick would give you a fractional bigger quilt, I like the idea but this one is already cut.

I want to machine stitch as I think that will be easier on my hands and wrists.

Jingle it sounds like you are talking about what I remember - could you expand on your explanation please