Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which machine do you use? >

Which machine do you use?

Which machine do you use?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:21 AM

I love my Bernina, I use it for everything, it does it all, and I have the BSR with it.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by dcamarote View Post
Here is my question; which machine do you favor and why?
I'm only answering because you asked:

Back in the 80's my Singer died and I just ended up at a Viking dealer to fix it. He told me it was full of plastic and I just wore it out, which was believable since I used it a lot.

I remember asking him "You got anything without plastic in it, with no computer (computerized machines were just coming on the scene)?" I ended up with a Viking 630. It had stitches I never used, or use, and I love it. It enables my abilities to shine.

I still have that machine and use it, but then I had a TBI (brain injury)in a car accident in 2008. One of the lasting deficiencies it left me with is the inability to learn how new things work, but for some reason it left me with all my sewing abilities I had.

So I got to thinking, I'm screwed if this old machine dies, and try to find parts to fix it, if it's even fixable. So, I started to buy 630's on ebay. I ended up paying $30 - $50 for each and have 4-5 (can't remember), for parts. Thing is, they ALL work! One even came with a walking foot.

It was a machine schools used when schools bought such things, so I guess it's pretty tough.
I would never suggest that route for someone looking for a new machine, but you asked!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 AM

I use a Viking 500 and a Vintage Singer 306W , love them both. The singer is cabinet mounted with a knee control and I can sew up a storm on any fabric with that machine. The 500 up until a few weeks ago was not the favored machine till I finally found a cabinet to recess the machine... now I use that machine a lot more than I used to. Love them both equally and have both set up and ready to go!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM

I love my old black Singer machines. I have a 201 and a 15-91. These machines sew a lovely stitch, will stitch thru anything and are so east to maintain. Then I have the beautiful little featherweight 221 which is so easy to tote around. I am not too fond of the new machines, just too many things about them for me to learn.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM

I only have 2 machines. My Juki TL 2010q is my daily use machine at home and I have the smallest portable Babylock Audrey for classes and travel.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 AM

Baby Lock Crescendo and Spirit for home Brother NX-400 for travel

Baby Lock and Brother are my brands of choice.

For many years I didn't think I would ever have anything but a Pfaff then they changed ownership and are no longer made in Germany. (Also the dealer in my area leaves a whole lot to desire.)
Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 AM

For garment sewing, my Bernina 440. For piecing, either the Bernina or my little Featherweight. For quilting, my Handiquilter Sweet 16. For embroidery, my Happy Voyager multi-needle. I also have an assortment of vintage machines that I occasionally pull out, just because they are fun - Singer 201, 99, 66. And yes, I am lucky enough to have a huge sewing studio (gotta love being an empty nester!).

Pam
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM

For piecing I use my Brother 1500, embroidery I use my Bernina 180, for quilting I use my Janome 8900, and for taking on the go, my Singer Featherweight. I mostly use the Brother. It is just so easy and comfortable.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a basic Brother XR-52 that is my "go to" machine. Not fussy on thread, thickness, etc. It does great FMQ. But, I have been playing around with my 6 (if I've counted correctly) vintage machines and use them too for various things. I just used my vintage ruffler on my vintage Singer 66.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I use my older Bernina for piecing, Singer Quantum for decorative stitches, FW for classes, Singer 301 for small machine quilting projects, Brother 1500 for fmq large quilts and two Janome Jems for taking to classes and workshops. OH I have a Singer 15- in cabinet that is perfect for paper piecing and and doing free hand machine embroidery. It's easy to use them all. I keep four set up all the time and switch them out time to time. Every machine needs to be used at least every other month to keep the gears lubricated, especially the non oiling machines.