Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Embroidery Thread >

Machine Embroidery Thread

Machine Embroidery Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Default Machine Embroidery Thread

Ok ladies I just got an embroidery machine and I am needing to know where is a reputable place on line to buy thread and what brand do you all buy? I purchased Maderia Thread when I got my machine. It is hard for me to drive 65 miles to buy thread so I would like to buy on line if possible. You help will be appreciated.

Chris.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

http://www.metroemb.com/store/

Great thread, very inexpensive. Only complaint I have about it is it is made in China. But it is a quality product. I have not used it for embroidery but have used it in my LA for quilting. Many LAQ love it.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM

I have used Metro thread on my embroidery machine, no problems with it, they have fast shipping and low prices.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
I have used Metro thread on my embroidery machine, no problems with it, they have fast shipping and low prices.
I must agree! My machine is very picky and it does well using their thread. Also their prewound bobbins are great too. You can't beat their prices, especially when they have a sale going on.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:22 PM

On the advice of my Janome dealer, I use Madeira polyneon thread. I purchase it at www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/‎ - their prices are the best I've found, and the service is wonderful.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 PM

a word of warning...dont invest a whole bunch in one manufacturer until you know your machine 'likes' that kind...buy several and try out several stitches (round, straight, angled, dots, etc)...if you see that your machine sews ok w/o 'hiccups' then stick with that...i have a babylock and sews fine w/madeira thread, EXCEPT their metallics...nope, wont do it...it breaks on the simplest of designs...i tried YLI, but it takes a lot of tension fiddling before i cant get the bobbin to cooperate...so test it...i used a lot of joanns coupons just going in & buying 1 spool of different brands...also went to my babylock dealer & tested some of theirs...it was a big help & saves a lot of headache when u just want to sit down & have some fun...enjoy..
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM

sewforless.com is where I buy most of my threads. I bought my machine from them. They sell Isacord, Sulky, Exquisite threads. I use the Isacord and Exquisite the most. I bought a spring and Christmas collection of 20 spools of threads each box for $40 a box.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM

I like isacord poly and get it from discountembroiderysupply.com. Great service, lots of products and free shipping! I lso love Superiors Magnifico (which is on sale for June at superiorthreads.com). They are large cones and hoping they will someday put it on smaller cones. I bought some of the colors I think i will use the most but have tons if Isacord poly. Stay away from rayon
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM

There are some wonderful bargains out on Ebay for embroidery thread sets. I have used several different brands of both polyester & rayon and found that my sewing/embroidery machine, a Brother Innovis, likes all of them. It doesn't care if I pay $5 or $1 per spool. The results are the same...excellent. It does argue with me over metallics. I have to use a metallic thread needle & still have issues. Having an embroidery machine is so much fun. I hope you enjoy yours.

I should mention, that in the past, rayon thread had a habit of the dye running in the dark colors. I have been told, recently, by several experienced embroidery folks that this issue has been solved. I am happy using the polyester. Polyester has almost as much sheen as rayon & I know it won't run.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 AM

I like Robinson Anton and if you check Sears web site and go under embroidery items you can buy it for 3.99 a spool. I've been using it for several yrs and its great. My machine has no problems with any thread and lots of companies have great thread. Floriani has great colors and great specials if you go to their website.
rnkdistributing.com is a Floriani site, it has great info on emb including a downloadable stabilizer guide. They have great deals and check out if they are doing a show in your area, great deals then. If you buy stabilizer from them save the labels because when you collect 10 you can get free stuff.
emblibrary.com is also great with free designs, low cost designs that stitch out great and lots of tutorials and videos to help you learn about emb on different surfaces; like bassa wood, silk, etc. and things like T-shirts, onesies, etc.
If you google free designs it'll open up tons of things. I love oregonpatch.com because they represent lots of companies and have great sales. Good luck; emb is very addicting. I hope you get classes, we have great ones here. My favorite thing is doing cutwork.