Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Embroidery Thread-where do you buy??? >

Machine Embroidery Thread-where do you buy???

Machine Embroidery Thread-where do you buy???

Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Connecting threads and Marathon
http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/thr...g_threads.html
http://www.marathonthread.com/cotton.shtml
Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 AM

I love ThreadArt - I bought huge collections of their poly embroidery thread when I first bought my embroidery machine. It is GREAT quality thread and buying the collections saved me a lot of money over buying a few spools at a time.

http://threadart.com/shop/default.aspx

I also buy their Type A pre-wound bobbins for my machines that take a class 15 bobbin - they last forever and if I wait and buy them on sale, they're only $30 per gross. :)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks everyone. I just bought a used Melco EMC 10/4T at auction. Just getting it up and running. I have over 2000 euro pillow shams to do Christmas embroidery on before craft show season. That's going to be a LOT of thread and stabilizer!!!
Wish me luck!!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Melco has their own brand of thread, if I recall it is Madeira. It is reasonable and good thread.
www.melcomart.com
Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
Melco has their own brand of thread, if I recall it is Madeira. It is reasonable and good thread.
www.melcomart.com
Melco HAD their own brand of thread, it was called ARC. They discontinued it a few years ago and became a distributor for Madeira, a European thread company. Madeira was in business long before Melco.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 AM

I use Superior, Madeira, Aurifil, or Robinson Anton. My machines do not like Sulky -- especially the metalics -- though I keep trying since I love the blendables even though they seem to shred more than any of the other threads I use.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
www.melcomart.com
Melco HAD their own brand of thread, it was called ARC. They discontinued it a few years ago and became a distributor for Madeira, a European thread company. Madeira was in business long before Melco.
I stand corrected. I missed the Arc to Madeira switch since I have not been embroidering much.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
Thanks everyone. I just bought a used Melco EMC 10/4T at auction. Just getting it up and running. I have over 2000 euro pillow shams to do Christmas embroidery on before craft show season. That's going to be a LOT of thread and stabilizer!!!
Wish me luck!!
The only thing I can add is that you might want to try some brands, before you go all out and buy a lot of thread. My machine does not like certain threads, so I found out the hard way. A friend of mine though loved the thread and her machine did too! Lucky for me. My husband and I did shows for years, but I did not have my embroidery machine at that time. Have fun at the craftshows.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM

I looked at metro and marathon thread because their cost was so affordable compared to the big names. I now use mostly metro, but have some marathon too and love them both. The only thing regret is buying the entire metro line...I just don't use the variegated much but I use everything else. Both threads work great in my machine and are beautiful.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl
The only thing regret is buying the entire metro line...I just don't use the variegated much but I use everything else.
I love using the variegated for quilting. The solids, too for that matter. Especially when you're doing kids' quilts with decorative stitches, a mix of variegated threads looks so pretty with the fabrics' juvenile prints.

Embroidery thread is good and strong, too - I know that a quilt quilted with embroidery thread is going to stay quilted and strong no matter how much a kid "loves" it or how much mommy has to launder it. The fabric will fade and dissolve long before the thread. :)

I know some people don't believe in quilting with poly thread, so you might take that into consideration.