Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Embroidery Thread-where do you buy???

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a website that had killer deals on machine embroidery thread. I wish I had bookmarked that page! Anyone remember what the website was?
    Or just share your favorite thread site or where you've seen great specials lately.
    The best I'm finding is $3.79 for a 5000 m cone. Are there better deals without sacrificing quality too much?

Blog Entries
    I just about always use Sulky brand embroidery thread. It is pretty expensive, but good.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried Threadart?

Blog Entries
    I use Metro and Mettler and my machines like both a lot. I think you may be talking about the fantastic deal on Maderia (?) which cost her about $12.00 or something like that for a box. I planned to order some of it but forgot so not sure if it is still on sale but think 9/30 was the last day. :(

I will be watching more responses on this...

Blog Entries
    I get some thread when it is on special from www.shoppersrule.com

Stay away from the ebay auctions from India. When I first got my machine, I got quite a bit of it and it all smells musty or something. I haven't been able to get that smell out of it.

I get mine from here
    http://metroemb.com/

I buy from my dealer and I like Robison Anton or Sulky.

Threadart but mostly for the bobbin thread...I buy from Joann's Coats and Clark or from Husq Dealer Robison Anton

Blog Entries

I love ThreadArt - I bought huge collections of their poly embroidery thread when I first bought my embroidery machine. It is GREAT quality thread and buying the collections saved me a lot of money over buying a few spools at a time.

http://threadart.com/shop/default.aspx

I also buy their Type A pre-wound bobbins for my machines that take a class 15 bobbin - they last forever and if I wait and buy them on sale, they're only $30 per gross. :)

Thanks everyone. I just bought a used Melco EMC 10/4T at auction. Just getting it up and running. I have over 2000 euro pillow shams to do Christmas embroidery on before craft show season. That's going to be a LOT of thread and stabilizer!!!
    Wish me luck!!

Melco has their own brand of thread, if I recall it is Madeira. It is reasonable and good thread.
    www.melcomart.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Melco has their own brand of thread, if I recall it is Madeira. It is reasonable and good thread.
    www.melcomart.com
    Melco HAD their own brand of thread, it was called ARC. They discontinued it a few years ago and became a distributor for Madeira, a European thread company. Madeira was in business long before Melco.

I use Superior, Madeira, Aurifil, or Robinson Anton. My machines do not like Sulky -- especially the metalics -- though I keep trying since I love the blendables even though they seem to shred more than any of the other threads I use.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    www.melcomart.com
    Melco HAD their own brand of thread, it was called ARC. They discontinued it a few years ago and became a distributor for Madeira, a European thread company. Madeira was in business long before Melco.
    I stand corrected. I missed the Arc to Madeira switch since I have not been embroidering much.

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    Thanks everyone. I just bought a used Melco EMC 10/4T at auction. Just getting it up and running. I have over 2000 euro pillow shams to do Christmas embroidery on before craft show season. That's going to be a LOT of thread and stabilizer!!!
    Wish me luck!!
    The only thing I can add is that you might want to try some brands, before you go all out and buy a lot of thread. My machine does not like certain threads, so I found out the hard way. A friend of mine though loved the thread and her machine did too! Lucky for me. My husband and I did shows for years, but I did not have my embroidery machine at that time. Have fun at the craftshows.

I looked at metro and marathon thread because their cost was so affordable compared to the big names. I now use mostly metro, but have some marathon too and love them both. The only thing regret is buying the entire metro line...I just don't use the variegated much but I use everything else. Both threads work great in my machine and are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl
    The only thing regret is buying the entire metro line...I just don't use the variegated much but I use everything else.
    I love using the variegated for quilting. The solids, too for that matter. Especially when you're doing kids' quilts with decorative stitches, a mix of variegated threads looks so pretty with the fabrics' juvenile prints.

Embroidery thread is good and strong, too - I know that a quilt quilted with embroidery thread is going to stay quilted and strong no matter how much a kid "loves" it or how much mommy has to launder it. The fabric will fade and dissolve long before the thread. :)

I know some people don't believe in quilting with poly thread, so you might take that into consideration.

I have been buying from http://metroemb.com/
    and have had no problems with thier thread. Great bargains on sale for 45 to 85 cents a cone.