Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine maintenance >

machine maintenance

machine maintenance

Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
I think the electronics are in the head of the machine not in the base.
Not all of them. There are some machines with sensors for low thread in the bobbin case, etc. My cousin swears that canned air is why her Janome had to be repaired. It threw off the thread cutter.

Originally Posted by linhawk View Post
5 years ago I watched the one and only time my machine was cleaned. He used an air compressor. I watched where the oil went.
I have an air compressor so I take it apart and then outside. Blow the lint out and a drop of oil.
Sorry but I cannot explain where the oil goes.
Oil is typically one drop wherever metal rubs on metal. Not 4 drops because they were small, and if there are -any- electronics around where you're oiling be extrememly careful. Oil and electronics do not get along, which is why I don't think I'd encourage anyone to do their electronic machines themselves, only the "manual" ones.

As the link that cmrenno posted mentions: a sewing machine repair person sees your machine "naked". If you fully diassemble, it's a lot different from blowing air into the bobbin area and around the needlebar. I use an air compressor (some of the same risks - moisture, etc) but that's because I've fully disassembled the machine to do it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435631[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
Here's a good article about using canned air http://bearhugquiltworks.blogspot.co...s-to-wise.html

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Colleen
That's exactly what a Kenmore / Janome machine I had on my bench last week looked like. There was stuff so packed in it looked like someone had knitted a scarf for the gears. No wonder it had "issues".
Attached Thumbnails img_0804.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM

I was told to never use compressed air because it can blow everything back into the deeper parts of your machine. I use vac and tweezers.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 PM

I use my shark vac and tweezers to clean out ...no compressed air
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Harbor freight has a set of vacuum crevice tools for the$8 that go on end of you vacuum hose also great for keyboard and other small spots