Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine maintenance >

machine maintenance

machine maintenance

Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Default machine maintenance

I have found the cans of compressed air sold for cleaning computer keyboards, invaluable for cleaning the lint out of my sewing machines, it loosens all the fluff and then I use the little hard brush that came with the machine to clean it all out.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM

The compressed air might blow little bits of fluff into other areas. I sometimes use it on my vintage machines because I can take off panels and see all the inside parts for a thorough cleaning. But on my newer computerized/electronic model I can't do that so I don't use it. The fluff might mess up the electronics.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
The compressed air might blow little bits of fluff into other areas. I sometimes use it on my vintage machines because I can take off panels and see all the inside parts for a thorough cleaning. But on my newer computerized/electronic model I can't do that so I don't use it. The fluff might mess up the electronics.
I was also told this by my machine repair man. I also have a computerized machine. It's better to use a vacuum to draw the fuzzies out. Compressed air can force lint into unwanted places.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

When I bought my Baby Lock Jane the Lady that owns the store told me to use it. I bought a can but have not used it. She also has a Son and Nephew that work on machines. They are not very good, last time I took two machines in for cleaning--- they were not cleaned. My last trip there. I just use brushes to clean them. Straight stitch only machines.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Not had a problem so far, but my machine although computerised is fairly old n I would like a new one, but that said I would hate to cause any damage to it as it has been a real treasure and sewn everything ive thrown at it. I'll go back to the vacuum cleaner.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Make sure you fasten a nylon stocking over the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner hose, in case anything is loose!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM

My Janome repairman said to be sure not to use compressed air as it can blow debris into the machine - actually harming it. He said to be sure to only use vacuum and as Neesie said - to put a stocking over the end - just in case.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Okay, this is from an expert sewing machine repairwoman (not me !): do not use compressed air. I just picked up my Bernina after getting it cleaned and serviced and she asked me what I used to clean it with. I said: compressed air. She said that was a no-no, use a vacuum cleaner. She said all we do is push the dirt, lint, oil whatever into piles that does not blow out. So that is what I will do in the future. This woman is a true expert at repairing all machines, she has quite a reputation in our area.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I have also been told not to use compressed air. I do use it on the longarm, where the fluff is being blown straight out and not into the works.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM

I think it might depend on your machine. The end cap on my machine comes off, then I can blow the compressed air in that direction, so it goes out - not in. This is per the advice of my Babylock dealer. Of course, I just occasionally go to that much trouble - most often, I just clean out around the bobbin case.