Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine not picking up bobbin thread >

Machine not picking up bobbin thread

Machine not picking up bobbin thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:48 AM

Default Machine not picking up bobbin thread

Help! My brand new Q21Pro is not picking up the bobbin thread.

After some "practice" on a scrap sandwich, I finally loaded my first quilt on my Q21Pro. I'm basically just doing a "stitch in the ditch" pattern. I started my row from left to right and everything was fine. For the second row (so as to not have to cut my thread) I began traveling right to left. Less than a quarter way through, my thread broke. Re-threaded the machine and then started getting skipped stitches. Re-threaded again, reset the bobbin and still no improvement so I tried moving my machine back the left side again and began traveling right again. This seemed to work but then I noticed the skipped stiches again. After some "Google consulting", I changed the needle... And now the machine isn't even picking up the bobbin thread at all...needle down-needle up; the top thread is not pulling up bobbin. Help... What am i doing wrong? I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix but this is a new adventure for me....
Old 01-28-2021, 07:09 AM

First of all let me welcome you to the QB from SE Michigan. There are many LA'er here that may be able to give you good advise on what to do with this problem. I am hoping some will jump in here to help you out. Again I just wanted to welcome you here.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:10 AM

It appears the needle is a round shank, are you sure you have it inserted correctly?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
First of all let me welcome you to the QB from SE Michigan. There are many LA'er here that may be able to give you good advise on what to do with this problem. I am hoping some will jump in here to help you out. Again I just wanted to welcome you here.
Thank you!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:14 AM

Hi Janey, Yes, I checked and double checked. The needle has the "long groove" in the front towards me and the "scarf" is facing the rear of the machine. I used the needle magnet to verify.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:19 AM

Hi, I agree those round shank needles can be tricky to get inserted correctly. You may have the hole not facing the right direction or just a little off. take out your manual and follow the "insertion of needle" directions. One of my instructors said to take a very fine pin and insert it into the hole of the needle so you can see that you have the needle inserted correctly. Be very careful with this so you don't scratch the eye of the needle...another one said to cut a very fine sliver off a business card and insert in the opening of the needle. I never had much luck with that method. I did find some "needle magnets" which stick to the needle and apparently will align themselves with the needle opening so you can see the direction the needle opening is facing. The other thing I can think of is you are using a long stitch and moving the machine too fast, the needle doesn't have time to go up and down and the needle will flex causing it not to pick up the bottom thread and you get skipped stitches....but as it is not picking up at all. I am thinking it is with the needle insertion. Also make sure that the needle is fully inserted into the machine. These beginner learning curve things are frustrating...but it will get better. oops...see you already have the needle magnets....
Old 01-28-2021, 08:38 PM

Mina--as a tech I called once said--if you are at the machine--step back a few feet, take 5 deep breaths, get a drink of water and then we'll talk! So frustrating when you have problems.
Sounds like the needle is in correct if you've checked with magnet and know that scarf is facing back. First thought I had was that the needle deflection (when you are sewing on domestic the needle is not being moved side to side so stays in straight line, with long arm you are deflecting that needle) is usually more of a problem when moving R to L. This is because of the way the thread comes off the bobbin. It also usually means you need to slow down when going R to L to avoid thread shreds/breaks and get even stitches.
Not picking up bobbin thread--this sometimes happens to me when I don't have the thread in bobbin correctly--either coming the wrong way off the bobbin or because it's just not settle in the bobbin tension arm and has slipped loose. I'd suggest you take out bobbin and rethread. If still a problem with not picking up bobbin thread, move machine to side of quilt, pull out bobbin and unthread needle. Now lean down and with a flashlight slowly rotate the hand wheel to lower needle. Is it coming down so that the hole is mostly visible underneath? is the bobbin pickup mechanism rotating like it should? Now re--insert the bobbin with thread and thread the top and do that again--is the top thread picking up the bobbin thread or does it miss the bobbin pickup? Can't imagine this would happen without warning. I'm not familiar with the Q21 but sure that they have either some videos or maybe a FB group with tech advice. Hope these ideas help some. Also if you keep having problems post up pictures of both the top and bottom of quilted area so we can see better (assuming you are able to get it to pick up the bobbin thread!)

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 01-28-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:13 PM

I would also change needles, and take the throat plate off and clean out the bobbin area. Even a little dust in this area can affect the thread not picking up.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Mina--as a tech I called once said--if you are at the machine--step back a few feet, take 5 deep breaths, get a drink of water and then we'll talk! So frustrating when you have problems.
Sounds like the needle is in correct if you've checked with magnet and know that scarf is facing back. First thought I had was that the needle deflection (when you are sewing on domestic the needle is not being moved side to side so stays in straight line, with long arm you are deflecting that needle) is usually more of a problem when moving R to L. This is because of the way the thread comes off the bobbin. It also usually means you need to slow down when going R to L to avoid thread shreds/breaks and get even stitches.
Not picking up bobbin thread--this sometimes happens to me when I don't have the thread in bobbin correctly--either coming the wrong way off the bobbin or because it's just not settle in the bobbin tension arm and has slipped loose. I'd suggest you take out bobbin and rethread. If still a problem with not picking up bobbin thread, move machine to side of quilt, pull out bobbin and unthread needle. Now lean down and with a flashlight slowly rotate the hand wheel to lower needle. Is it coming down so that the hole is mostly visible underneath? is the bobbin pickup mechanism rotating like it should? Now re--insert the bobbin with thread and thread the top and do that again--is the top thread picking up the bobbin thread or does it miss the bobbin pickup? Can't imagine this would happen without warning. I'm not familiar with the Q21 but sure that they have either some videos or maybe a FB group with tech advice. Hope these ideas help some. Also if you keep having problems post up pictures of both the top and bottom of quilted area so we can see better (assuming you are able to get it to pick up the bobbin thread!)
Thanks for the great advice. Like you suggested, I looked "under" the machine to see what was actually going on and i saw that the tip of the needle was barely poking into the bobbin area. The needle was inserted too high into the needle bar. The manual for my machine specifically states to make sure the needle is inserted "all the way up"; and that's what I did. Turns out that all I had to do was lower the needle inside the needle bar until I was able to see the needle hole poke through. Once I did that, I was back in business. Thank you so so much!!!