Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine opinions

My dh is giving me some money after taxes come back to get myself a new machine. I was wondering what types of machines you love, what you hate, and what are the necessary features for my new little love?! He's giving me about $2000, but I'd only like to spend about $800 to $1200 if that...
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    You can get some really nice Brother machines for that amount of money. Even get a low end embroidery/sewing for your higher range figure. Janome probably has something quite nice in that rnge also. I have had both and have been very satisfied. I have a brother 900D now.

Blog Entries
    base your decision on a machine which you can get serviced where you live!
    you should go out and 'test-drive' as many machines as you are able to...find a reputable sewing machine dealer who offers owners classes, and service and purchase from them...if you spend $2000 on a machine you never get to learn to use...or can not get worked on or any tech support it becomes a very expensive paper weight. you should not spend that kind of money without at least trying out what you are getting.

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for a brand new machine? Because I'm thinking you could get a really nice used Bernina or Pfaff for that amount of money.

Blog Entries
    viking

I would go to my local Viking dealer. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a machine, I want classes and service near by. Viking is the only "big name" machine by a dealer in my area, so that's where I'd go!

LOVE my Bernina Patchwork Edition 140 for 11 years never stopped or given me a days trouble. Not an embroidery but that is not my interest.

Blog Entries
    I'm partial to Janome. I paid about $1400 for my 6600 last year (correction-dh paid it).

I like janome. A 6300 has the wide throat plate for easier machine quilting. If you have a dealer in the area check it out. It runs about $1,000. Janome is known to be very rugged and lasts a long time.

I LOVE my Bernina. Doubt I'll ever buy anything else.

i love my viking saphire has all the goodies i ned + it has a 10 inch throat

Blog Entries
    My choices would be:
    Babylock Symphony
    Babylock Quest Plus
    Pfaff Smarter C1100

not necessarily in that order

I am partial to Berninas. My advice purchase whatever machine does what you want. I love my Bernina 1260 that I purchased at least 20 years ago. I purchased a less expensive "lighter weight" Bernina machine last year. It actually has more stitches than my older machine that was more than twice the price. It is much lighter weight because it is not all metal like the other machine. I wanted it to take to workshops and an annual retreat I go on. I did not want the built in embroidery capacity as I have two stand alone embroidery machines and a serger as well as a featherweight. Like someone else said go to a dealer who is close enough to you that you can take lessons and be able to get to them quickly if you have a problem. Having confidence in the dealer is also important. Good luck.