Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Organizing Ideas For Swap Fabrics...

I know everyone has their own way of organizing cut fabrics for any purpose... but I thought I'd share with you a method I use for one of my swaps (1.5" Stamps - sets of 50)...

For this kind of swap, I use dollar store ice cube trays - as it prevents stacks from falling and/or beloved pets from making a mess out of things after you've counted them all out, then all you have to do is baggie them up when you're ready...

Which leads me to my question for you all - I am curious... how do you all organize your swap fabrics of this size and/or any other size?

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

50 1.5" Squares per section - Ice Cube Trays
    Name:  Attachment-130654.jpe
Views: 78
Size:  61.0 KB

great idea.

Wow, that's a cool idea. I would have never thought of that.

very clever!

Now that's what I call creative!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

Garage sale find..
    Name:  Attachment-133371.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  45.6 KB

Clever ideas !! Thanks for the tips :)

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Like these ideas, too. How about using a silverware organizer, the kind that is all square, for basically the same thing. They're easy to find at dollar stores.

Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

leaders and enders.........I think I know what they are but don't know how to explain it - too new to this myself. HELP!!!

Very good ideas. I have just been putting them in the baggies as I cut them up. May have to change my plan and get some ice cube trays. Does anyone even use them for ice anymore?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

Ok so now for the ender..
    For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

Wow LuvTooQuilt!! Thank you SO much! I totally get it now :D I have actually used "leaders" I guess....I've just been calling them "starter pieces"...LOL ;) Thanks again!

Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

Ok so now for the ender..
    For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee

Love the ice cube tray idea. Thanks. I was searching around for a way to keep hundreds of tiny hexes separated into colors and this looks perfect.

Diana

Great idea! I had been using the sandwhich bags too.

Blog Entries
    Cute and clever idea :D:D:D

love those idea