Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Organizing Ideas For Swap Fabrics...

  1. #1
    The Creative Seamstress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    388
    I know everyone has their own way of organizing cut fabrics for any purpose... but I thought I'd share with you a method I use for one of my swaps (1.5" Stamps - sets of 50)...

    For this kind of swap, I use dollar store ice cube trays - as it prevents stacks from falling and/or beloved pets from making a mess out of things after you've counted them all out, then all you have to do is baggie them up when you're ready...

    Which leads me to my question for you all - I am curious... how do you all organize your swap fabrics of this size and/or any other size?

    Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

    50 1.5" Squares per section - Ice Cube Trays
    Name:  Attachment-130654.jpe
Views: 78
Size:  61.0 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member Carrie Jo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Michigan
    Posts
    1,080
    great idea.

  3. #3
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Wow, that's a cool idea. I would have never thought of that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Neena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southwest Missouri
    Posts
    926
    very clever!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Maggie_1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    986
    Now that's what I call creative!

  6. #6
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    Wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

  7. #7
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

    Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

    Garage sale find..
    Name:  Attachment-133371.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  45.6 KB

  8. #8
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,620
    Clever ideas !! Thanks for the tips :)

  9. #9
    Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Evergreen LA
    Posts
    1,549
    Like these ideas, too. How about using a silverware organizer, the kind that is all square, for basically the same thing. They're easy to find at dollar stores.

  10. #10
    Super Member Qbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,162
    Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

    Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

  11. #11
    Super Member glenda5253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NE Kansas
    Posts
    1,086
    leaders and enders.........I think I know what they are but don't know how to explain it - too new to this myself. HELP!!!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    161
    Very good ideas. I have just been putting them in the baggies as I cut them up. May have to change my plan and get some ice cube trays. Does anyone even use them for ice anymore?

  13. #13
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

    For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

    Ok so now for the ender..
    For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

    Clear as mud?



    Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

    Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

  14. #14
    Super Member Qbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,162
    Wow LuvTooQuilt!! Thank you SO much! I totally get it now :D I have actually used "leaders" I guess....I've just been calling them "starter pieces"...LOL ;) Thanks again!

    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

    For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

    Ok so now for the ender..
    For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

    Clear as mud?



    Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

    Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..

  15. #15
    Senior Member Hen3rietta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    623
    Love the ice cube tray idea. Thanks. I was searching around for a way to keep hundreds of tiny hexes separated into colors and this looks perfect.

    Diana

  16. #16
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    Great idea! I had been using the sandwhich bags too.

  17. #17
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cute and clever idea :D:D:D

  18. #18
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    love those idea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.