Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing Ideas For Swap Fabrics... >

Organizing Ideas For Swap Fabrics...

Organizing Ideas For Swap Fabrics...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 PM

leaders and enders.........I think I know what they are but don't know how to explain it - too new to this myself. HELP!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Very good ideas. I have just been putting them in the baggies as I cut them up. May have to change my plan and get some ice cube trays. Does anyone even use them for ice anymore?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

Ok so now for the ender..
For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

Clear as mud?

Originally Posted by Qbee
Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..
Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 AM

Wow LuvTooQuilt!! Thank you SO much! I totally get it now :D I have actually used "leaders" I guess....I've just been calling them "starter pieces"...LOL ;) Thanks again!

Leader and enders are pieces of fabric- in this case 2 inch squares right sides together- that you will either 'lead' with or "end' with when you sew..

For example.. there is currently nothing in your machine , so you have 'tails' of thread hanging.. So you grab a 'leader' and stitch them - in my case the 2 inch blocks- .. now you no longer have 'tails' of thread to jam up your block, get stuck in the needle hole and ruin your block.. IF it does happen to get stuck at least its on you scrap leader and not on your block.. ..

Ok so now for the ender..
For example, you have finished sewing the block or the part that you want to snip the threads from you machine -for whatever reason- so instead of snipping and leaving 'tails' again, you grab an 'ender'- again, in my case the 2 inch blocks.. Now you snip the thread between your block and ender scraps and you now no longer have 'tails'.. this 'Ender' now becomes your leader..

Clear as mud?

Originally Posted by Qbee
Wow....every once in a while I realize that I am still very much a Newbie! I have seen it before but was afraid to ask...what are "Leaders and enders"?

I just do the old standby.. cut them and put them in sandwich bags.. No hoopla here..

Love your idea.. !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I did find a few of these in a garage sale for a nickel a piece.. they hold my 2 in squares perfectly- Leaders and enders..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 AM

Love the ice cube tray idea. Thanks. I was searching around for a way to keep hundreds of tiny hexes separated into colors and this looks perfect.

Diana
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Great idea! I had been using the sandwhich bags too.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Cute and clever idea :D:D:D
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM

love those idea