Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Pricing >

Machine Pricing

Machine Pricing

Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Something I found interesting during my reading today about someone having issues with a Janome machine is that the warranty comes through the dealer not Janome. So, if you buy your machine with warranty from a dealer that dealer will honor the warranty but if you are not happy with that dealer for any reason and want to take your machine to another Janome dealer they do not get reimbursed by Janome to do your warranty work. And many of them will not honor your warranty. That doesn't say much for Janome especially in a society like ours where people move from one part of the country to another at the drop of a hat. In my case, my Janome dealer went out of business within 6 weeks after I purchased my machine. Of course they knew they would be going out of business but never bothered to inform their potential customers of that fact. I haven't had any need to have any work done, but I do believe they arranged to have another dealer about 50 miles from me take on their warranty work. One of the reasons I bought Janome rather than another machine was because they were the closest dealer to me in this rural area. And if you purchase on line you may have a warranty but good luck trying to get it honored without having to pack up your machine and send it back to the vendor you purchased it from. Ann in TN
Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was put out when the Bernina dealer didn't have pricing on the machines. I had to ask. And still didn't get an up front answer. I got the What features are you looking for? and more questions and a push toward the fancier machine models. I just wanted to know the price of what I was looking at. I finally told the lady if she couldn't tell me the price of that machine (finger pointed to it) then I was walking out. She just looked at me so I walked out. I bought a new Janome that had the price written right on the tag.
I had a similar experience with a Bernina dealer pushing the high end machine. I, too, walked. I then found a great country BabyLock dealer who was willing to work with me on price (even though his first price was quite reasonable.)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM

All of you have expressed my feeling very well. With gas prices what they are, who wants to drive 50, 60, miles just to realize they don't like the machine, nor the dealer. Not to mention the price is twice as much as my first car. Have appt. tomorrow with Bernina dealer to discuss trading in my 730 for a 830. Should be interesting.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I hear you!!! I feel the same way, fortunately the dealer that I go to, always has ALL of his machines priced.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

so they can tell you it is ON SALE...when it really is not..

do your homework using sights like allbrands.com...find out all you can before you set your sites on the top 3 and go out test driving!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 PM

would love to know what the brand new Janome Horizon will be that was unveiled Saturday in Orlando.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM

They probably don't want to have to call the paramedics for you when you pass out on their floor from sticker shock.HeHe
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Oh, wait (sarcasm alert for those who don't 'get it')
You are SUPPOSED to be willing to pay TOP DOLLAR for the machine so you will 'get' FREE lessons with it....

or
You are SUPPOSED to be willing to pay TOP DOLLAR for the privilege of asking questions (try it sometime buwhahaha)

or
You are SUPPOSED to be willing to pay TOP DOLLAR to keep 'your local dealer' in business

I could keep going but you get the idea...
Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Patternreview - a great web site! With car shopping AND sewing machine shopping, i have had good luck calling first with small or large questions. At the used car lot, espcially, we got better attention because they knew we were "serious". With the sewing machine dealer, one call was enough to know i would not be getting that model (a midarm, lol).

I will even call on the cell phone, from the parking lot, if i have to.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm in the mkt for an embroidery machine and some have the price and some don't. I figure if I have to "call for details" I can't afford it!