Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM

Hand piecing and quilting are beautiful, and not areas in which I am skilled. I think machine pieced and quilted are every bit as beautiful and no less art. I have given machine pieced and quilted quilts to a friend for each of her 6 (soon to be 7!) children and she is always telling me how durable they are especially through frequent washings. They may not be heirlooms, but the kids certainly love them, and that is, after all, why I make them, to be used and loved!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM

No! I have seen some pretty bad hand quilted quilts...stitches not all the same size etc...hand quilted quilts can have the same flaws as machine quilted ones...I love machine quilting because its fast, I love the technology, I have a 2year old daughter and I like my projects to have a quick return time Keep up with your machine quilting & piecing! You do what makes you happy k!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 AM

The reason why I quilt is to receive pleasure and recreation. I enjoy making and having them. It feels nice to give them to others and make them happy. I think that is really why most people quilt therefore it really doesn't matter what method is used to achieve that . Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!! I've seen many quilters struggle with machine quilting.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 AM

I don't hand quilt but hire LAQ's to complete my quilts. I sold a 42x59" wallhanging for $1K that was custom machine quilted. I was pleased and affirmed that the quilt artistry in it's entirety is appreciated and valued. I can't afford a LA machine nor are my hands up for handquilting. But neither limitation kept this wallhanging from being loved and selected by the buyer. Women of my guild were encouraged similarly. HQ vs LAQ is not a deal breaker.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
And these folks also wear only hand tooled shoes I assume? Shoes made with a machine would never work.

:P at them all. It's like painting in acrylics, oils or water colors. They are all art. Just different style
10 to 1, these same people have never made a loaf of bread by hand-------------------------or 7 minute frosting from scratch like my mom did. I do bread occasionally, but haven't tried the 7 minute frosting (whipped egg whites and a sugar syrup)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
10 to 1, these same people have never made a loaf of bread by hand-------------------------or 7 minute frosting from scratch like my mom did. I do bread occasionally, but haven't tried the 7 minute frosting (whipped egg whites and a sugar syrup)
OR angel food cakes from scratch!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I would think that even machine quilted quilts could be heirlooms it all takes time patience and skill

Some of them I've seen on here will be heirlooms for sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM

I like to use the analogy of having a typewriter (even a manual, not electric!) and a computer (with internet/chat/email or even just a word processing program)... If you have both and want to type up a set of instructions, which are you likely to use? There's certainly nothing wrong with either one - it's which ever works best for you! (And I would be willing to bet some of the quilt snobs HAVE pc's that they use instead of an old typewriter)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
Last fall I finally made it to Lancaster PA. Went to a great Amish quilt store. Was talking to the lady who owned the store and said I do machine quilting. Oh, she said, that is not quilting it is sewing. Well, I thought putting the three layers of a quilt together is what we call quilting, not how it is done. I explained this to her, and oh, to her suprise, it made a lot of scents. I don't think I changed her mine, and she did nothing to mine. I do machine quilting and love doing it. By the way, her husband machine pieces quilt tops on a featherweight machine powered by propane. Maybe that is not piecing either??????? Just remember some people are not nice, but we can all keep trying to be. Have a great day.
You did walk out without buying didn't you? After you told her she was all wet?