Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 PM

I machine piece my quilts and send them to the longarmer to be quilted. I really do admire hand pieced and hand quilted quilts. Those things being said...If anyone dosen't like my quilts they don't have to look at them. I enjoy making and giving them and that is what counts for me.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM

I've been a member of my guild for over twenty years. When I first joined the older ladies were who I learned from. Lol they were pretty set in their ways but I don't remember them ever being rude about somebody else work. They just always thought theirs was best. One in particular told my husband at one of our shows "if there is a prize to be won I usually win it" lol. All these years later most of them are no longer with us, I miss them.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
They have been quilting by machine for over 100 years. Used to be a sign of wealth to have a sewing machine, so it was used to show off.

Our grandmothers hand quilted because they had a group of friends get together & work on it all at once, & finish in a day. I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to hand quilt. But it takes talent to be good at machine quilting, long arm or domestic.

Don't let them get to you! It's no wonder the younger people have created a 'new' movement with the modern quilts.
I can just about guarantee that if our great-grandmothers had the tools available to us now, a very good percentage of them would be machine quilters.

Dont mind those type of people, the world takes all kinds......remember that "value" is subjective. It is different for all people. I admire those who do hand work, cause quite frankly there is not a person alive or dead that I love enough to put that kind of time into something. However, I have no issue "throwing" a machine quilt together for anyone at all and sometimes just for the pretty fabric itself. Find a new group, there are several. Or better yet, start a movement inside that group. The older ones will eventually fade off......and they will need younger blood to keep the guild going.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Absolutely not! Also what gets me about when people say their quilts are not 'heirloom' quilts. YES they are!! I have a newly made friend who just made her very first quilt for her daughter, a beautiful strip quilt, stunning! And it is a heirloom it is her very first one, made just for her daughter, and her daughter will love the quilt and bet you dollars to donuts passes it down to her kids or grandkids. I know my kids love my quilts and plan on passing them down to their kids, to me that is a heirloom quilt. Any quilt that is loved and cherished is an heirloom. Now, don't get me wrong I love the quilts people spend a ton of time on to make just right and hang them on the walls, I truly enjoy looking at them, but just is my humble opinion that to call those heirloom and other quilts are second class is not right. Ok stepping off my soapbox.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM

The simple fact is that if I piece a top that is too big for tacking----------actually never too big--------I will send mine out for machine quilting. I HATE HAND QUILTING.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

It took me 36years to hand quilt 25 quilts, mostly crib size. While also raising three kids. Then I started machine quilting, in about 10-1/2 Years I have made 92 quilts. I always machine pieced. I am almost 68 years and don't know how many years I have left. No way am I spending that kind of time and effort. I have a huge stash and want to use up as much as I can.
I can't believe hand piecing would ever be better than machine piecing. I almost always do FMQ, love the look and love doing it. I have knobby fingers and arthritis now. Hand quilting would sure help that along. I think that might be the reason.
Different strokes for different folks.
Lots of snobs and I try my best to avoid them in all walks of life.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM

I can truly say that MY machine quilted work is inferior to my hand quilted work. Doesn't mean that there may not come a time when my machine quilting will improve enough for me to be proud of it!
In fact I'm not totally pleased with my hand quilting either.

I've seen some absolutely superb quilting posted on this site. Some is done by hand and some is done by machine. Both are works of art. As someone earlier stated, different skill sets are required for each. I would like to become proficient in both. Not sure it will ever happen, but I can dream big. Lol!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

No hand piecing for me. I've seen too many fall apart. I can hand quilt and I can do FMQ, prefer machine quilting any day.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
I think attitudes like your quilt guild has is why I won't join one. I personally think that machine quilted quilts are just at beautiful as hand quilted. So much time, work and love go into both kinds that it seems so wrong to judge one less than another.

I mainly machine piece and quilt (most STID, very little FMQ) my quilts. I am giving hand piecing and quilting a try and find that I really enjoy it.
I totally agree with you SherriB...I just gave my 33 year old son a "machine quilt" for his birthday today, and he actually cried...he thought it was beautiful, and so did I. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I probably will never be a hand quilter, but every quilt I make is a labor of love....and I don't think of it as "second class"!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

To me it should be everyone's choice as to how they want to do their quilt.