Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM

I have a tendency to think the other way. A completely made by hand dress or garment would certainly work--people used to to do it all the time, but I think few would argue that a dress made by machine has stronger seams and will hold up better over time and abuse than one made entirely by hand.

And I've still got that mentality when it comes to quilts--a quilt made entirely by hand is more delicate and needs to be treated more gingerly.

So I suppose, my mentality is quite opposite--180 degrees of what your guild/ladies are telling you. Probably some of it is my age (50) and some of it is my background in garment sewing.

I can appreciate something made by hand--I did do a lot of cross stitching, both counted and regular, so I understand the time involved.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
By chance this week, I met some quilters from the guild I used to belong to. I no longer attend because of this same attitude. Can someone please let me in on the secret? Are machine made quilts really second class? Quilts made entirely by hand are somehow in a higher class, those quilts are better than mine? Quilters who only hand piece and quilt are really better than those of us who use a machine?
I really do appreciate hand quilted quilts, and I always have a hand quilting project on the go, but most of my quilt projects are pieced and quilted by machine. At least, this way, I complete things. OK, they are not heirloom quilts, but I think that my had pieced and quilted ones are.
Maybe I am just too sensitive, but the elitest attitude really makes me sad. I am surely not a pro at quilting, but I have been quilting for 24 years and have completed many projects, which have been received with positive comments and thanks. I think my work could hold it's own with most others.
Why is it that we all just can't play nice and appreciate each other's work? I have seen some magnificent machine made quilts and some gorgeous hand made ones too. I must say, though, that my friends on this board are encouraging and so willing to give praise and positive feedback. I am so glad that I am a member of this group. Thanks everyone.
I don't let other people's negative attitudes take up space in my head. I don't care if they think their quilt-car-machine-fabric-younameits are better than mine or anybody else's. Some people simply have to have a superior attitude about something or they're not happy. But I don't have to care or feel bad about my choices because of somebody else's attitude.

Smile, say "how nice for you." and go on with your happy life. Instead of them annoying you, you'll annoy them!! People can only make you feel bad about your purchases, choices, methods, etc if you let them.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM

For physical reasons some people can only do machine quilting or hand or long arm. I enjoy all and do some of each depending on not only project but time of year.not hand quilting in the summer with quilt over my knee but in the winter it is lovely and warm. All quilts are beautiful and there to be admired. Each stage and methods requires skill and design imput . Keep doing it your way and love doing it.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 AM

You already know the answer. The real question is whether you can get past your feelings about this group and let them be, and stay away from them!!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 AM
QM
Power Poster

My great great grandmother was considered to be an exceptional quilter. She pieced using one of the first sewing machines in Illinois. This debate raged for years. I think it is just about over. Quilting has traditions, not LAWS. traditions change. A few years back I was given a very nice hand pieced antique quilt top to use for a fund raiser. I checked with an official quilt appraiser. She said the quality of the fabric, design, piecing and quilting, not whether it was hand or machine sewn was what mattered in pricing a quilt, which seems to be to be the essence of the issue. If those people want to stay with handwork. That's fine. FOR THEM. the rest of the world has moved on.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

since the $100,000 winner quilt is machine quilted...and about 40 of the (100 best quilts of the 20th century) are machine quilted...why would you even think about this? of course machine quilted quilts are not (2nd class)...they are just done with a different technique than some (closed minded- ...) would like to spout.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 AM

Isn't that kinda of like saying oil lamps and candles are better than electric lights? I for one don't think washing my clothes in a washtup is better than my washing machine. I think one can appreciate and be amazed by the old methods and never want to lose that art but I think our advances are wonderful timesavers. This is from one who was raised without electricity or running water.
Lynda
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 AM

I look at it like this...Life evolves. My precious little momma made her quilts by hand, but that's how they did it in her day..... Fabric was cut with scissors, Dishes were washed by hand, Clothes were washed on a washboard, houses were heated with wood and coal. And the list goes on and on...... We don't do tho things like that anymore. At least most of us don't. We change with the times. We now have nice machines. If someone wants to do things the hard way, go ahead. I can produce a whole lot more by using rotary cutters and machines to piece and quilt....... There are no " quilt police" to arrest you if you don't do it someone else's way. Quilt to suit yourself. Most winners at quilt shows are made and quilted by machine.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 AM

OP, I am so sorry you ran into these critical people. Not very polite IMHO. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or "second-rate" about your quilts. You know we on the QB are always supportive.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:17 AM

I belong to a great guild. There are many levels of experience. We have beginners, intermediates, hand quilters, and even a few professionals. All are welcome EXECPT quilt police. The mission of our guild is to encourage and promote the love of quilting and friendship.