Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM

No they are not second class! Regardless of what the "elite" say. Machine quilting is just a different way of quilting....not better or worse....just DIFFERENT! Don't let the quilt police intimidate you!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I would just smile sweetly and say "my goodness, you ladies are certainly behind the times."
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM

It's the quilter behind the needle that makes the quilt special, not the tool. I've seen magnificent machine made quilts, and poorly done hand made quilts. If it's a well made, good looking quilt, who cares?

Janet
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I really think it's a small but vocal group of quilt police. They think there is only one proper way to do something, and it's their way. When I run into someone like this, I just smile, nod and think to myself that it takes all kinds, then just ignore whatever they've said. It would be great if everyone would just play nice, but that's not the way the world works. You can't change them, but you do have control of how their words affect you. If you can't ignore them, then avoid them! Sounds like you made the right decision by leaving that guild. Toronto is a big place, is there another guild you could try?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM

I would think that even machine quilted quilts could be heirlooms it all takes time patience and skill
Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM

They have been quilting by machine for over 100 years. Used to be a sign of wealth to have a sewing machine, so it was used to show off.

Our grandmothers hand quilted because they had a group of friends get together & work on it all at once, & finish in a day. I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to hand quilt. But it takes talent to be good at machine quilting, long arm or domestic.

Don't let them get to you! It's no wonder the younger people have created a 'new' movement with the modern quilts.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have never hand pieced a quilt. I have hand quilted and I have recently learned needleturn applique. I also LA quilt (hand guided,not computer guided). I never could master FMQ on my domestic machine.

The attitude is difficult to overcome. I do not feel machine quilted quilts are second class BUT I do have an enormous amount of respect and admiration for hand quilted quilts knowing the time, dedication and skill it requires. Because of that time, dedication and skill I perceive a higher value for quilts done by hand. Just as I would place a higher value on an original painting over a print or a hand crafted piece of furniture over an assembly line made one.

All are functional but one took a craftsperson years to hone the skill and then the time, dedication and love to create it. Quilters, both machine quilters and hand quilters do instill love into our craft. I have an enormous amount of respect for the LA quilters and domestic sewing machine quilters who are making heirloom pieces. But I can speak from experience here... To LA an heirloom quality quilt can take up to 120 hours of work if done thoughtfully and well but to do the same caliber of quilting by hand would take 10 times that long, if not more. So I believe this may explain part of the attitude of the ladies from your guild who consider hand work better. They are placing a value on the amount of time it takes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with machine made quilts. I embrace them wholeheartedly. I think to compare the two is where the problem lies. They are both quiltmaking but approached in a completely different way and require different skill sets.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. You managed to say what I feel without being able to put it in words. I'm envious over my friend who handquilts. Her work is beautiful. Yes, it takes her a long time to finish a quilt, but it is beautiful. She's also been doing it for 40 years. When I did my little doll quilt by hand and it took me what felt like months, I thought there is no way I could ever do a full size quilt. It's not that one way is better then the other, but in either method, the work and craft should be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Big reason I don't join a guild. I was in one of my LQS the other day and there were 2 ladies from the guild in our area. They asked me if I had ever been to a meeting I said no that I am not an expert quilter and I have heard some of the ladies talk about this type of thing. The one said that is why we took guild out of our name. We want all quilters to feel welcome. I do think I will visit a meeting to see if the others are as nice as these 2 ladies. I am sure there will be some that aren't, but I can visit a couple times to see if I want to join. I am starting to enjoy art quilting I can imagine what your ladies would think of that. LOL
Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 PM

I do think there are different classes:
machine quilted vs hand quilted vs long arm quilted
large vs small vs medium sized
bed quilt vs wall quilt vs home furnishing vs clothing
traditional vs contempory vs art
There are lots of different classes not better, just different

I quilt for enjoyment, creative expression, companionship. If it's a great quilt, I'll show it.
Whatever floats your boat.

There are classes of people:
Snobs vs kind
I forgive the snobs and enjoy the kind.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
Big reason I don't join a guild. I was in one of my LQS the other day and there were 2 ladies from the guild in our area. They asked me if I had ever been to a meeting I said no that I am not an expert quilter and I have heard some of the ladies talk about this type of thing. The one said that is why we took guild out of our name. We want all quilters to feel welcome. I do think I will visit a meeting to see if the others are as nice as these 2 ladies. I am sure there will be some that aren't, but I can visit a couple times to see if I want to join. I am starting to enjoy art quilting I can imagine what your ladies would think of that. LOL
Not all guilds are like this, in fact I think this narrow mindedness is the exception rather than the rule. I belong to 3 different guilds, and although they all have different "personalities", they all embrace all types of quilting.