Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting a "Thinking Outside the Block"???? >

Machine Quilting a "Thinking Outside the Block"????

Machine Quilting a "Thinking Outside the Block"????

Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 AM

I've seen it done in the Baptist Fan semi circle and it was beautiful. Your's is great!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 AM

How about using the design in your light material...then SITD around each indivdual block...could make a real interesting affect for the backside of the quilt...love your quilt by the way...
Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love the colors you chose. I would do a flower design, swirls and leaves. Eiltcoq.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 AM

I think for the center of your block stitch in the ditch and then make a leaf pattern hitting all 4 corners and centers. Then for the next stripping around that follow the pattern and do curly q's again follow the pattern. Then make straight lines on the next strips and so on. Look at the fabric and it will tell you what it needs. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
How about circles? Get out all your plates & round platters & draw circles. You can do a large circle with a walking foot. Another alternative would be diagonal lines in both directions. just 'hit' the corners of all the nested blocks.
This is what I think would work well also. The circles "soften" the sharp angles...can look like bubbles!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 AM

I am new to machine quilting--taking a class right now for this. It is just a thought, but how about doing feathers in the 2 outside borders and then echo or stipple in the rest. Another thought about the inner portions is making small circles to look like bubbles. Jeanniebelle
Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 AM

I don't quilt mine.... but would love to see something that followed the "scroll" of your lighter fabric on that fabric and the border, feathers on the blues!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 AM

Goodness, this is beautiful, I understand you apprehension about quilting it, but my question is: Where do we find the pattern? I would love to make the quilt. Please, pretty please, where can we get the pattern?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Hi There, I am a very symmetrical person and to me this looks like it is on three levels. The bottom one is the largest and on a lower level. The next one looks to be higher up than the first and the top one is higher again. Symmetry is wonderful, so eyecatching, so magical. It can deceive the eyes and look like different things to different people. This appears to me as though there is a platform of air under each separate layer. If this were mine - I would SITD to emphasise the different height of each level to make them really stand out. This has been very cleverly designed, colour co-ordinated and sewn to bring this effect into play. I just love it. As a wall-hanging it would appear to be projected out into the room in these layers as in 3D.
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
lol from Gleniveve
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 AM

Very carefully.