Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Machine quilting with a Pfaff 7570 Creative

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinlee
    I also own a Pfaff 7570, and it is included with a walking foot, and I use it with my machine quilting all the time. I use my instruction booklet to remind me how to set tensions and such for correct settings when using my machine for machine quilting.
    I bought my machine new, and it did not include a separate walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I should probably start a different thread about my question as to not hijack this poor gal's thread:> Sorry about that!

No problem Candace....I got confused also not knowing what an 830 was. When Pfaff let go of the rights to the IDT the different companies did copy it but they also changed it from the way Pfaff did it so maybe that is part of the confusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamish
    I would like to try machine quilting on my Pfaff Creative. The book I'm reading on machine quilting says to use a walking foot -- I looked in my Pfaff manual, and saw nothing about a walking foot. I called a local Pfaff dealer, and the person told me that I should have one "built in" to my machine. I don't know what this means. Does it mean I can just go ahead and quilt with the regular presser foot? I don't have to do anything different? Any advice appreciated.
    This topic has really gone in weird directions. My advice would be to make a sample quilt sandwich and practice. If you have problems then I would call a dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I would like to try machine quilting on my Pfaff Creative. The book I'm reading on machine quilting says to use a walking foot -- I looked in my Pfaff manual, and saw nothing about a walking foot. I called a local Pfaff dealer, and the person told me that I should have one "built in" to my machine. I don't know what this means. Does it mean I can just go ahead and quilt with the regular presser foot? I don't have to do anything different? Any advice appreciated.
    This topic has really gone in weird directions. My advice would be to make a sample quilt sandwich and practice without a separate walking foot. If you have problems then I would call a dealer!
    Sadiemae, she can't attach a separate walking foot to the Pfaff 7570 it has the IDT which is the walking foot. It is the black lever type thing behind the sewing needle and you just snap it down towards the needle and off you go. You normally quilt with the regular presser foot or the 1/4 in. foot. Basically she needs the books for the machine to explain how everything works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    This topic has really gone in weird directions. My advice would be to make a sample quilt sandwich and practice. If you have problems then I would call a dealer!
    Sadiemae, she can't attach a separate walking foot to the Pfaff 7570 it has the IDT which is the walking foot. It is the black lever type thing behind the sewing needle and you just snap it down towards the needle and off you go. You normally quilt with the regular pressure foot or the 1/4 in. foot. Basically she needs the books for the machine to explain how everything works.
    I Know I have several machines including this one! I was simply triyng to give good advice without anymore arguing about it. I edited it, so there would be no confusion in my advice!!

Yes, we're talking the same thing. The same apples:> The Bernina 830 has the dual feed foot that comes down and attaches to the foot for piecing and whatever other sewing you want. But, when I'm quilting I push the dual feed up out of the way and attach a walking foot . When I first purchased the machine, I was also told "you don't need a walking foot because of the built in dual feed." But, now the powers that be state that the separate walking foot is actually the best foot for something over 2 layers and that the dual feed foot is better than a regular foot, but not as good as the walking foot for quilting.

But we're talking Bernina, a different machine and manufacturer. I didn't mean to confuse the subject by bringing this up... But since the IDT has been copied by other brands it should operate the same. Weird.

This begs the question of the newer machines coming out that have copied the IDT...are they also selling a separate walking foot? MadQuilter, didn't you say you test drove a Singer with dual feed? I'd be curious what Singer is saying and promoting.

The bad thing about the current walking foot for the 830 is that it's only 5mm. A new walking foot is supposedly in the works for 9mm stitching. I love the dual feed, it's awesome! But, I still prefer my walking foot for quilting.

Oops we were posting at the same time. I don't know anything about Berninas only Pfaff's. There is just no way you could add a walking foot to the 7570 or any other Pfaff with IDT that I know of.[/quote]

Amen to that!!!! NO walking foot for the 7570. You DO NOT need one with the IDT!!!!!

I don't consider it arguing when people are sharing their opinions and ideas politely. Amen to that. 8-)

Blog Entries
    And it is so nice we live where we can think what we want to...

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter

One of the ladies in my quilting class has a 7570 and she is having trouble with her free motion quilting (darning) foot. The IDT seems to get in the way and she is going to have to figure out if maybe she has the wrong foot.
    Tell her to disengage the IDT. To do this pull it down and back. I don't have a problem with the IDT being engaged when I FMQ, but I sit facing the needle end of my machine instead of the front (or at least I use to when I used my 7570).

Also, no walking foot will fit on the 7570 because the IDT is in the way....

Oops, double post and I don't know how to delete. Please see the following post. Sorry...........

I don't consider it arguing when people are sharing their opinions and ideas politely. Amen to that. 8-)

Oh Candace, I didn't feel we were arguing just trying to express our thoughts. I think we cleared up the confusion. I know for myself I am more used to talking with people verbally and many times trying to express myself in a thread/blog is more difficult for me. It's new to me to participate more actively in this type of situation so maybe sometimes my written word doesn't come out quite correctly and if so I am truly sorry.

My main concern was Madamish and making sure she understood exactly what her 7570 has and could do. This is a fabulous machine and although older by todays standards is in my opinion the best the germans made and it was also the last. She really needs to get the instruction books and learn her machine. For me it's hard to explain everything by words without having the ability to actually show her.

At any rate, I didn't feel we argued in an way and I appreciate your experiences with your 830 which really is different and I didn't know that. It is interesting to learn about other's machines.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Tell her to disengage the IDT. To do this pull it down and back. I don't have a problem with the IDT being engaged when I FMQ, but I sit facing the needle end of my machine instead of the front (or at least I use to when I used my 7570).
    She did exactly that but the foot would not go on. I wonder if she has an incorrect foot. (Maybe her shoes are too big - lol). We are having class tomorrow and it will be solved then. I'll report back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    She did exactly that but the foot would not go on. I wonder if she has an incorrect foot. (Maybe her shoes are too big - lol). We are having class tomorrow and it will be solved then. I'll report back.
    I was curious what new feet for they have, so I was looking on the Pfaff webwsite. The darning/quilting foot that I have that cam with the machine is not the same as the ones they are selling now. It doesn't have anything to do with why a foot wouldn't fit. I just thought it was interesting.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    MadQuilter, didn't you say you test drove a Singer with dual feed? I'd be curious what Singer is saying and promoting.
    Forgot to answer you, Candace. The Singer L-500 has a built-in walking foot sort of like the Pfaff IDT but it is a bit clunkier and feels harder to engage. I didn't like it as much. However, no additional walking foot included.

No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is.
    Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples. Here is the IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig):
    http://www.pfaff.com/us/195.html

There is no way that you could even add a traditional walking foot to that. Like I said - mine works super with all layers.

One of the ladies in my quilting class has a 7570 and she is having trouble with her free motion quilting (darning) foot. The IDT seems to get in the way and she is going to have to figure out if maybe she has the wrong foot.
    I am almost afraid to say thing. But, if I am not really confused-when you use the darning foot/quilting foot for free motion, you unhook that IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig). It should say in the book, but I am simply too lazy to go check.
    Okay, I've gone to examine my sewing machine, and I do see that the black hook'em thing (which I never paid much attention to before) is the thing that serves as a walking foot. And yes, it does simply unhook from the foot, and retract up and back, to be out of the way when one uses the darning foot. Thank you very much for the clarification! I now know what I'm doing!

Oh Candace, I didn't feel we were arguing just trying to express our thoughts. I think we cleared up the confusion. I know for myself I am more used to talking with people verbally and many times trying to express myself in a thread/blog is more difficult for me. It's new to me to participate more actively in this type of situation so maybe sometimes my written word doesn't come out quite correctly and if so I am truly sorry.

My main concern was Madamish and making sure she understood exactly what her 7570 has and could do. This is a fabulous machine and although older by todays standards is in my opinion the best the germans made and it was also the last. She really needs to get the instruction books and learn her machine. For me it's hard to explain everything by words without having the ability to actually show her.

At any rate, I didn't feel we argued in an way and I appreciate your experiences with your 830 which really is different and I didn't know that. It is interesting to learn about other's machines.
    re instruction book: I did look all through the manual that came with the machine, but I didn't find it to be particularly detailed or clear. I've noticed other people online referring to "Pfaff binders". Are there additional books available that would be useful to have?

Blog Entries
    madamish,

I have a book for my 7570, but I have a binder for my Pfaff serger. So, I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    IDT (or dual feed foot) is great for piecing, but a walking foot is still the best way to quilt as it feeds 3 layers, not 2. You will have better results quilting with a walking foot over a dual feed foot.
    I hate to disagree with you but, the IDT is the walking foot. You can use any foot with it that you want to. With the walking foot you can only use the regular foot to quilt!

No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is. That's really odd about a walking foot not being available. I love my dual feed feet, but the walking foot makes my quilting much better.
    Do you have a Bernina by any chance? It is very different from a Pfaff in this instant. Pfaff has a built in walking foot that is called IDT. We do not need a separate attachment. I think there may be some terminology confusion here.

oops another boo boo......sorry

re instruction book: I did look all through the manual that came with the machine, but I didn't find it to be particularly detailed or clear. I've noticed other people online referring to "Pfaff binders". Are there additional books available that would be useful to have?[/quote]

Yes, they are called the Blue Binders and there are two of them. They are quite large binders. Sometimes ebay has them for sale. Also, Lynnette Wicker -Dowdell and Kim Filmore wrote a complete reference guide for the 7570. Their website is http://www.sewingexpressions.com. I don't know if they still have a copy of the book for sale or not. But if it's not on their website you could call their number and see if they still have one available. Many people much preferred their book to the ones Pfaff put out. I have seen it on ebay but way over priced. The name of the book is the Pfaff Creative 7570/7550 Complete Reference Guide. The instruction book you have should have the basic information you need for at least seeing the possibilities of your fabulous machine and learning how to use the basic functions. If you start checking on ebay from time to time and just put in Pfaff you might be able to find other books that would be helpful to you. Once you learn your machine you are going to absolutely love it.

Blog Entries
    The ones I found were $40.

I have my binders from my Pfaff 1475 and kept them when I upgraded. Never did get around to getting the ones for the 7570 but many things were similar. Now they are probably collector's items. :lol:

I have a 1222E Pfaff and it has IDT and its my favorite machine for quilting straight lines.

re instruction book: I did look all through the manual that came with the machine, but I didn't find it to be particularly detailed or clear. I've noticed other people online referring to "Pfaff binders". Are there additional books available that would be useful to have?

Yes, they are called the Blue Binders and there are two of them. They are quite large binders. Sometimes ebay has them for sale. Also, Lynnette Wicker -Dowdell and Kim Filmore wrote a complete reference guide for the 7570. Their website is http://www.sewingexpressions.com. I don't know if they still have a copy of the book for sale or not. But if it's not on their website you could call their number and see if they still have one available. Many people much preferred their book to the ones Pfaff put out. I have seen it on ebay but way over priced. The name of the book is the Pfaff Creative 7570/7550 Complete Reference Guide. The instruction book you have should have the basic information you need for at least seeing the possibilities of your fabulous machine and learning how to use the basic functions. If you start checking on ebay from time to time and just put in Pfaff you might be able to find other books that would be helpful to you. Once you learn your machine you are going to absolutely love it.[/quote]

Thanks for the link -- the Dowdell-Fillmore book can be purchased as a download, so I have it already! I am definitely looking forward to learning the ins and outs of my machine. Thank you very much for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2