Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine quilting with a Pfaff 7570 Creative

I would like to try machine quilting on my Pfaff Creative. The book I'm reading on machine quilting says to use a walking foot -- I looked in my Pfaff manual, and saw nothing about a walking foot. I called a local Pfaff dealer, and the person told me that I should have one "built in" to my machine. I don't know what this means. Does it mean I can just go ahead and quilt with the regular presser foot? I don't have to do anything different? Any advice appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Pfaff machines are built with IDT. If you look at the presser foot on your machine you will see a black handle looking thing that hooks underneath where the presser foot is. That is the built in walking foot. If you are going to do stitch in the ditch you don't have to do anything different. I would probably use a 1/4" foot. If you don't understand let me know.

IDT (or dual feed foot) is great for piecing, but a walking foot is still the best way to quilt as it feeds 3 layers, not 2. You will have better results quilting with a walking foot over a dual feed foot.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    IDT (or dual feed foot) is great for piecing, but a walking foot is still the best way to quilt as it feeds 3 layers, not 2. You will have better results quilting with a walking foot over a dual feed foot.
    Never heard of that. I thought the whole purpose of the IDT is that you DON'T need to attach an accessory foot. BTW: no walking foot is listed with the 7570

http://www.pfaff.com/global/4156.html

I have the 7550 and when I engage the built-in walking foot, I never have puckers. It works well with the Stitch-in-the-ditch foot too.

You won't need a walking foot if you have an IDT, which I'm sure you would have with your Pfaff machine....thats all you need.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff 7570 and I don't need a Walking Foot for SID quilting!

Have not found this to be true for me. I have quilted on my old Pfaff1741 and Quilt Expression and like the dual feed much better than the walking foot I have used on Janome's at our Project Linus clubhouse.

Thanks for your reply. I will take a good look at my machine this evening and see if I completely understand.

I hate to disagree with you but, the IDT is the walking foot. You can use any foot with it that you want to. With the walking foot you can only use the regular foot to quilt!

I have the dual feed also and it's recommended to use a walking foot for anything over 2 layers(i.e. quilting).

I have the dual feed also and it's recommended to use a walking foot for anything over 2 layers(i.e. quilting).

I piece with my Dual feed down and quilt with a walking foot, sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I hate to disagree with you but, the IDT is the walking foot. You can use any foot with it that you want to. With the walking foot you can only use the regular foot to quilt!

No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is. That's really odd about a walking foot not being available. I love my dual feed feet, but the walking foot makes my quilting much better.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is. That's really odd about a walking foot not being available. I love my dual feed feet, but the walking foot makes my quilting much better.
    I sure don't need a walking foot for my 7570. It does a fantastic job with the IDT. It also quilts 3 layers at a time just fine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is.
    Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples. Here is the IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig):
    http://www.pfaff.com/us/195.html

There is no way that you could even add a traditional walking foot to that. Like I said - mine works super with all layers.

One of the ladies in my quilting class has a 7570 and she is having trouble with her free motion quilting (darning) foot. The IDT seems to get in the way and she is going to have to figure out if maybe she has the wrong foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    No, the dual feed foot is different than the walking foot at least for my 830 it is.
    Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples. Here is the IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig):

There is no way that you could even add a traditional walking foot to that. Like I said - mine works super with all layers.

One of the ladies in my quilting class has a 7570 and she is having trouble with her free motion quilting (darning) foot. The IDT seems to get in the way and she is going to have to figure out if maybe she has the wrong foot.
    I am almost afraid to say thing. But, if I am not really confused-when you use the darning foot/quilting foot for free motion, you unhook that IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig). It should say in the book, but I am simply too lazy to go check.

Yes, we're talking the same thing. The same apples:> The Bernina 830 has the dual feed foot that comes down and attaches to the foot for piecing and whatever other sewing you want. But, when I'm quilting I push the dual feed up out of the way and attach a walking foot . When I first purchased the machine, I was also told "you don't need a walking foot because of the built in dual feed." But, now the powers that be state that the separate walking foot is actually the best foot for something over 2 layers and that the dual feed foot is better than a regular foot, but not as good as the walking foot for quilting.

But we're talking Bernina, a different machine and manufacturer. I didn't mean to confuse the subject by bringing this up... But since the IDT has been copied by other brands it should operate the same. Weird.

This begs the question of the newer machines coming out that have copied the IDT...are they also selling a separate walking foot? MadQuilter, didn't you say you test drove a Singer with dual feed? I'd be curious what Singer is saying and promoting.

The bad thing about the current walking foot for the 830 is that it's only 5mm. A new walking foot is supposedly in the works for 9mm stitching. I love the dual feed, it's awesome! But, I still prefer my walking foot for quilting.

Candace, are you talking about a Pfaff machine? Because if you are you know something most Pfaffies don't. The IDT is a built in walking foot on Pfaff machine.

REad my above posting.

Yes, we're talking the same thing. The same apples:> The Bernina 830 has the dual feed foot that comes down and attaches to the foot for piecing and whatever other sewing you want. But, when I'm quilting I push the dual feed up out of the way and attach a walking foot . When I first purchased the machine, I was also told "you don't need a walking foot because of the built in dual feed." But, now the powers that be state that the separate walking foot is actually the best foot for something over 2 layers and that the dual feed foot is better than a regular foot, but not as good as the walking foot for quilting.

But we're talking Bernina, a different machine and manufacturer. I didn't mean to confuse the subject by bringing this up... But since the IDT has been copied by other brands it should operate the same. Weird.

This begs the question of the newer machines coming out that have copied the IDT...are they also selling a separate walking foot? MadQuilter, didn't you say you test drove a Singer with dual feed? I'd be curious what Singer is saying and promoting.

The bad thing about the current walking foot for the 830 is that it's only 5mm. A new walking foot is supposedly in the works for 9mm stitching. I love the dual feed, it's awesome! But, I still prefer my walking foot for quilting.[/quote]

Oops we were posting at the same time. I don't know anything about Berninas only Pfaff's. There is just no way you could add a walking foot to the 7570 or any other Pfaff with IDT that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae

I am almost afraid to say thing. But, if I am not really confused-when you use the darning foot/quilting foot for free motion, you unhook that IDT (the black hook'em under the foot thingamagig). It should say in the book, but I am simply too lazy to go check.

You're correct when you use your darning foot/quilting foot you disengage the IDT.

I should probably start a different thread about my question as to not hijack this poor gal's thread:> Sorry about that!

I have a 7510, and the IDT works great for quilting! With fabulous results!!

I also own a Pfaff 7570, and it is included with a walking foot, and I use it with my machine quilting all the time. I use my instruction booklet to remind me how to set tensions and such for correct settings when using my machine for machine quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by madamish
    I would like to try machine quilting on my Pfaff Creative. The book I'm reading on machine quilting says to use a walking foot -- I looked in my Pfaff manual, and saw nothing about a walking foot. I called a local Pfaff dealer, and the person told me that I should have one "built in" to my machine. I don't know what this means. Does it mean I can just go ahead and quilt with the regular presser foot? I don't have to do anything different? Any advice appreciated.

Didn't you receive a book with your 7570? It would explain how your machine works. A general machine quilting book would not give you the specifics for your particular machine on it's capabilities. You should have a book for your machine and the embroidery unit that goes with it explaining in detail how your machine would work under certain situations. If you don't have them you might try ebay as they have them there sometimes.

and I should include that is is called the IDT in the manuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinlee
    I also own a Pfaff 7570, and it is included with a walking foot, and I use it with my machine quilting all the time. I use my instruction booklet to remind me how to set tensions and such for correct settings when using my machine for machine quilting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast