Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: machine quilting in pieces

Thanks Miss Ticky2 for the instructions. I'm going to give it a try.

Blog Entries
    I remembered years ago, my first quilt. I had a class and the teacher gave out a name of Georgia Bonesteel,
    the first she had heard of making the lap quilting and that is what she was teaching. Ms. Bonesteel has several books,
    I saw her on Create TV a month ago, not again so far. I have one of her books, New Ideas for Lap Quilting.
    maybe your library has some of her books, or even the computer. I was really afraid I would never get it together.
    I did andreally liked it, it was so easy to take with me and work on by hand, it is a sampler quilt, with sashes and a border. I sewed the batting together by hand, big whipped stiches & pressed by hand. By machine sewing the fabric
    of each block together& then each row. For the border and sashes I I stiched hearts and wavy lines. I still have it.
    She has great pictures and simple instructions. Give it a try and enjoy~

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, describes several different methods of quilting in sections. I don't remember any method that involved doubling the batting.
    Love this book! Marti also gives instructions on "low-fat" quilting where you add the batting to the completed top in sections, like Miss ticky 2 described

I just finished a 120" x 100". I did it in 2 sections leaving 2" unquilted on the side I needed to connect. After getting both sections quilted I sewed the top together, turned the quilt over and overlapped the lining. I basted(on machine) with an off color thread through all layers then turned it back to the top and stitched in the ditch through all layers. This caught most of the lining. What didn't catch I finished by hand then took out the basting. I had quilted the center before taking out the basting. This way I only had to handle the entire quilt to quilt the 4" in the center.
    Good Luck

The Fun and Done way is by cutting the backing larger than the block and batting then bringing the backing up between two blocks to connect them. Then you sew it down on the front of the blocks to form a sashing. Do the same with the rows.

I'm bookmarking this thread as I really want to to try this--maybe all of the methods mentioned. Thanks for bringing it up! For me, it is timely!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2