Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting >

Machine Quilting

Machine Quilting

Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM

If you haven't machine quilted before, the absolute last thing I would try is a queen size quilt. It's heavy and large and if you don't have a large enough area, it will be almost impossible to move the quilt enough to do a decent job of quilting. It really doesn't matter what pattern or what foot you use the logistics of trying to do a quilt that large on a standard machine are something that you really need to work up to. Think about trying to move a piece of fabric the size of your mattress through the bed of your sewing machine. No matter how you fold it it or roll it it's hard to move around.

Start with something that is easily handled like a placemat or pot holder until you get the experience and feel for what it takes to machine quilt. I have a single size quilt I made two years ago, my first quilt, so it's very important to me, that I still won't quilt because I don't feel comfortable enough to quilt and I practice almost daily, but boy I've made a bunch of place mats and I'm getting closer to finishing that quilt.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks again i will Practice On Place matts like you said. Quilterbee