Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting  threads >

machine quilting threads

machine quilting threads

Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM

I have a Viking and it does not like King Tut but does fine with Aurfil and superior thread.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM

I have the blue bobbin case and keep it in all the time..no issues but I use gutterman when I FMQ.
Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by grannyrae
I have a temperamental Bernina Love King Tut but took some trial and error to get it working Have found I have to use correct needle to thread
I can't even get as far as thinking about needles, as it won't go through the tension discs! It seems weird that I should have the same problem on 2 such different machines -simple 1950 vintage workhorse and 8 year old mid-range Janome - so I'm curious to know if this is a common problem with these threads or I've just been very unlucky. I'd love to be able to use King Tut - wonderful colours, and Superior is my favourite brand.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM

I have spent hours and hours on the internet researching threads and needles. I FMQ and once believed it was the cheap thread (cuss, cuss). The threads you mentioned are not cheap threads. I think that I have the answer; at least I have the answer to my thread breaking dilemmas....think about it, others have used the same thread, and say it's great...the one thing no one is mentioning is the thickness/stability of what they are FMQ, or whatever they are using the thread on. My answer to this dilemma is HOOPING. Think about it, the machine embroidery machines hoop the fabric...not just for the production of the design, but to hold the fabric stable. I started hooping, and don't have the problems I used to. Once my quilt gets a certain amount of stability, it's not as important. Good hoops are the fiberglass Morgan, and, the Dritz sold at Joannes.
Let me know if you try this and it helps!
Good Luck
Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Originally Posted by memaw4

I had a question. Does anyone on here use Aurifil thread? I was just on Keepsake Quilting and they had a 10 pack of 50 wt. Wild Rose....gorgeous....for $40.00. Just wondering if that was a good deal?
I use Aurifil and don't have any problems -- it does not shred and is not linty.
Thank you, I'll buy some and try it then.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
My Janome machine won't take either YLI machine quilting thread or Superior King Tut - they're too thick and jam in the tension discs (and believe me, I've tried every possible tension setting). I assumed that it must be a quirk of that machine, as if they're sold as machine quilting threads, they should work on a machine - right?! I've just bought a Singer 201, specifically for FMQ because of the problems with the Janome, and am very surprised and disappointed to find that I've got exactly the same issue. Do other people have this problem or have I just been very unlucky?
I use King Tut on my Janomes and don't have a problem. Are you lowering the pressure as well?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Make sure didn't accidentally pick up hand quilting thread....it is alot thicker and WON'T work on a machine.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I have 2 Vikings, one computerized, one manual. The only thread that I cannot use is the invisible poly thread, the nylon works fine. I've never had any issues with King Tut or Yli or any other thread. It seems that any machine should take a 40wt thread. I agree with others - call Superior - they're great!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM

I have used king tut in my Pfaff with no problems not sure if I have ever used it in my Bernina but I am doing a free motin top with my Pfaff and the YLI thread and so far no problem I think I would talk to the dealer
Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM

I've always had good luck with FMQ with Essentials from Connecting Threads however one spool last week kept getting caught in the upper tension discs. It's the first time I've had a problem with it so I thought maybe it was just something wrong with my machine?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 PM

I use YLI varigated thread for free motion on my Janome 7700
No ptoblem with the thread.