Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Recommendations >

Machine Recommendations

Machine Recommendations

Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 AM

a lot depends on how close the dealer is and guarentees
Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 AM
anonymous

Are you close to Fort Wayne? Fabulous Janome dealer there. (Edwards Sewing Center). Great for service after the sale too. Free lessons and very good service guy.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

I agree with several of the others, you would love the Janome 6600, or even the 6500, or 6300 if $$$ is much of a limitation. They have an almost 9" bed and the extra space is essential of you want to make larger quilts. The 6600 has the built in walking foot, which really makes straight line stitching even top and bottom. These machines (and the newest 6700) have a heavy duty steel bed....you can feel the quality there. They all have 7mm stitch with a ss plate available....and many additional feet.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 AM

Another vote for the Janome 6600. I have had mine for 10 years and never have had any problems. Made so many quilts that I have lost count, not to mention all the other sewing I have done. It has lots of features that make sewing/quilting a breeze. It weighs about 25 lbs which is easy enough to move around. I take it to retreats, classes, etc. but I have a rolling cart to carry it in.
Janome just came out with a 6700 which is an "upgrade" to the 6600 and you may find a bargain on the 6600.
I suggest you go to the Janome website and see all the features this machine has as well as others. Don't be put off by the MSRP listing, bargains can be found and deals made. Good luck in your search and with your new machine!
here is a link to a discussion on this board on the 6600 last August.
Janome 6600P

Murphy
Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sef0181 View Post
She didn't mention a budget, but when I started looking, I was kind of drawn to the Jukki HZL-F600 (being able to drop my heel and cut the thread sounds amazing!) or the Janome Memory Craft 6500P (Janome is the only local dealer) if I were going to be purchasing something that could do a bit of everything. I think if it went over $1000 I would feel so guilty I'd pay for most of it myself. Let's say under $1500? She just invested in a $3000 Janome (not sure which) that is designed more for embroidery and less for quilting, so if, in theory, I wanted to embroider something, I have access to a machine.
I know that straight stitch machines are most common for quilters, however I want to try applique techniques and would need a zig-zag stitch, if I'm not mistaken?
The biggest complaint I have with my Brother are 1) the foot pedal has little speed control 2) I barely had enough room to maneuver an oversized lap blanket 3) it was impossible to even try to free motion quilt very much
To me, portability means it will fit in some kind of sewing machine bag and isn't much more than 35 lbs.
I love my Juki F600. It is hard to live without that thread cutter in the foot pedal when using my travel machine. It doesn’t have as large of a harp as the Janome 6600, 8.5” instead of 9”, but I have quilted several king size quilts with mine, both walking foot and fmq. Mine was brand new from a local dealer for $1000. Same dealer offered me a used Janome 6600 for $1500. As much as I love my F600, if I were shopping right now, I’d spend the little extra for the Juki FX7. It wasn’t out yet when I got mine. It has some nice upgrades over the F600.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:58 PM

Babylock Jazz for large throat area
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM

It's really difficult to recommend without knowing how much your mom has in mind to spend on it. If your mom is a quilter/sewer, maybe she has an idea of what prices are these days, but otherwise, she may be in for a shock.

I would stay away from computerized Singers. I bought one 5 years ago and when the main circuit board encountered a glitch 3 months after I bought it, the warranty covered it, but it took many weeks to get the part, and the shop was an hour and a half away. It has been a good machine for me since then, but that was not a pleasant experience at the outset. Before you buy any machine find out where you'd have to go for service. Expensive machines should be bought in a store near you that offers free lessons as well as technical support. Not all authorized dealers have warranty certified repair personnel.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by sef0181 View Post
Good afternoon!
Today my mother surprised me with an offer to purchase me a new machine for my birthday next month. Right now I'm piecing and machine quilting on a $100 ancient Brother. I think I would enjoy Free Motion Quilting, but the thought of being able to edge to edge quilt with an embroidery machine is awfully appealing as well (in theory). I tried Free Motion on my ancient Brother (it technically can do it), but became overwhelmingly frustrated at constant thread tension issues, which is why I'm drawn to the idea of using embroidery machines to 'cheat' and get perfect beautiful designs. I've also been toying with the ideas of using the 'fancy' stitches (embroidery stitches?) that are available on most models to machine quilt something interesting in the background, but I'm not sure that it would look very nice.

I have a tiny house and a neat freak husband, so I'm constantly unpacking and repacking my sewing stuff onto the kitchen table, so portability is a must at this stage.

Anyway, enough rambling, I'm curious what your recommendations are for machines I should put on my wish list. Thanks everyone!

Check out The Crafty Gemini. She did a series of embroidery classes online and had machine recommendations that were not expensive. I think they were Brother. She is great and has good ideas. That being said I love my Bernina with the embroidery module!!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 PM

My Janome 6600 fits into a rolling bag from JoAnn. Its not too heavy to lift, but heavier than the Brother Project Runway I keep for classes etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Have you thought about checking with a few dealers and seeing if someone has traded in a machine in order to upgrade. See if the dealer would throw some classes in as a bonus. Is there even a closet space that you could leave your machine set up? Just a few ideas.