Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner >

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Janome bernina and baby lock are the 3 I swear by and love. If quilting look at harp size and something that will allow a bit of growth. If you aren't sure about embroidery then get a stand alone embroidery machine. Both Janome and bernina sell them (Janome makes the bernina). This way you can see while embroider.
HTH
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

I really like my 3050 too!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Go to your local dealers. (If you are lucky you will have several different brands represented.) Take several different machines and several different brands, if possible, for test drives. You need to make sure that the machine has a good stitch and is user friendly. When you have compared the machines and test driven them it will be easier to make your decision. Have fun and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM

I love my Bernina 220 Activa, it's not the 'top of the line', so it was affordable and all Bernina dealers do layaways. It has many features- I love the auto threader feature, but not so many features that you're overwhelmed by it all. It's a solid metal machine, and not over computerized. Buy the best and forget the rest. That's my motto. It's a great overall sewing machine- you won't be dissapointed. I've seen a picture of Bonnie Hunter while she was using this machine (or the next one up- the 240), it was hard to read the numbers in the picture.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Default Which machine (s) are best

Virginia, I have 2 Singers that are good. One in a cabinet, Futura from the 70's and a new Futura embrobery.
My favorite is a Janomie 3160 QDC. It has a needle threader that never fails, a thread cutter, variable speed, needle down and other goodies on it including 40 some built in stitches. Small enough to take to classes. It's wonderful. My Janoime dealer and quilt shop offers free classes when you get your machine from them. All the classes they offer when you take that machine.
My dealer also repairs all makes of machines and that's a big plus.
I believe Janomie is offering 0% interest for 18 months until the 22nd (tomorrow) if you spend $2500.
Good luck.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

As a quilting teacher and an avid quilter, I can say the best deal would probably be a "previously loved" Bernina 440 or older 200 (updated for BSR). You will be able to sew, piece, quilt and embroider and you will not "outgrow" the machine's capabilities. Work with a Bernina dealer to get a warranteed machine. They will have a good tech there and will offer free Machine Mastery classes. A friend asked me to help her get a machine a few years ago. She had a very limited budget and didn't want a used machine. She bought a brand-name machine for $500 but she called me about 6 months later, very disappointed because she had already outgrown the machine and it didn't do what she wanted it to. Like with most everything in life, if you spend some money and get the right machine for you, it should last you a long time. If you go "cheap" then you may never be satisfied with it, and then feel the need to replace it. The only machine I would discourage you from buying would be a Singer. The parts are plastic, many techs won't work on them, and stores like Costco and Walmart do not offer classes or servicing. (My apologies in advance to any Singer owners who are offended...I don't mean to offend anyone but have noticed that many people who take my Learn to Quilt classes with a plastic Singer end up buying better machines. The OLD Singers were great; I learned on one, but the new ones for $99 or $199 just are not made like the old metal ones.) Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I think the Brother XL3750 is great. It comes with a "quilting" package to do fmq, a walking foot and a flatbed attachment. I got mine from QVC using their easy-pay deal.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

If you want to do basic sewing/patchwork any basic machine will do. You just have to find one you like (it's like test-driving a car). If you want to venture into quilting, I would recommend getting one that has a large throat area. The regular machines make it harder to fit the quilts for actual quilting.

My must haves are needle up/down, motor speed selector, needle position left/right, good light, large throat, large table. I fell in love with the drop-in bobbin, automatic threader and the automatic foot lifter on my Baby Lock so that is my brand of choice. However, I know that Janome, Bernina, Brother, and most Pfaff users are very loyal to their brand as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM

I went on ebay when I started quilting a year ago and found a refurbished janome for $99.00/free shipping. It came with all of the feet I needed to start with the exception of a walking foot for quilting. I purchased the walking foot for $39.00 on ebay as well. I made my first and second quilt on this machine then upgraded. Just wanted to make sure I was in this for the long haul. Happy to say that I am hooked and going strong. Good luck to you...Happy Quilting!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM

I have 2 Janome's and love love love them. I have used singer and I love the older ones but the newer ones have plastic gears. Talk to a dealer a get a idea of what you want. Good luck.