Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine(s) got wet >

Machine(s) got wet

Machine(s) got wet

Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM

If they're going in to the shop you're already doing the right thing. I had 3 feet from Katrina. You'd be amazed and what can survive if you get it out of the water quickly. The flood water (surge) was only in the house for 5 hours, but the moisture sat there in the carpets for 7 days while we were kept away from the neighborhood/city while they cleared trees etc. so we could get back in.

As long as the repairman knows exactly what happened, he'll know exactly what to look for. Rust is always an issue, but if it was quickly lifted it may not bee too bad. Hopefully, he'll give you good news.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM

My Mechanical machine was under 2 ft of storm sewer backup (very muddy water). I took it out and hosed it down to get all the silt and mud off, then allowed it to dry for a couple of months. When I brought it in, I told them what had happened. Basically all he had to do was to relube and take a little rust off. Works like a charm. Hope yours will too when you get it back.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

Hi! I would check with your insurance agent because your machines might be covered, any repairs or replacement might be covered. I wouldn't spend any money till you check. My husband checked with our carrier and asked specifically about my computer and my machines; all are covered under home owners. Hope you have good news! Chris
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM

It's the insurance asking for the quote. And so far everything else is minor compared to what it could have been
Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm without a machine now for at least a week!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you are able to get the machines fixed. I think it should not be a problem unless the computerized one was still plugged in and maybe the foot pedal caused a short to the electronics.

The machines in general seem to be quite resillient.

Will the shop give you a loaner while yours are there?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM

they didn't even give that to me as an option! seriously a weeek to look at it though. I did tell them that they are to do no repairs at all that it was for insurance and they just want to know if its damaged first.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

This seem like it wouldn't work but it does. When any electronic gets wet, completely douse the part with demineralized water. It will flush out the water that has contaminates and when the demineralize water dries, it leave no contaminates. The contaminates are what ruins electronics more the the wetness of the water. I think your machines will be fine, just need a good drying out time before use.

I'm the type that washes the do not immerse in water appliances, under running water and never had a problem (of course I don't use them right after washing.) and let the kids toast buttered bread in the toaster.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
So last week was a rough week, my basement flooded and that is where my sewing room is but I did manage to keep the water levels low until the insurance guys came to the house and removed it all but the issue is I have 2 machines, one was on the floor when it flooded in a travel bag and the other was on the table so just the foot pedal got wet. I have to take them to the dealer tomorrow but do you think there is a chance that they will be ok?

So far all that needs to be replaced is the carpets , base boards and a bathroom vanity. But I'm worried about my machines. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks!
So sorry I couldn't imagine the disasters people go through. Hope all is well.