Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Snobbery? >

Machine Snobbery?

Machine Snobbery?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Oh, and BTW, in 1996 I bought the top of the line Bernina since my dad left me some money. Even though they offered classes (supposedly), they always canceled. The new dealer says "Oh yeah, come on in for a class" but whenever I go in they want to sell me a new machine. Same for taking it in to get serviced "Oh, buy a new machine." NO thank you. I like my Bernina but not sure I would buy another.

I saw a small quilt made by another lady made by the same make/model of my machine. she used all the different stitches that the machine does. It was awesome. Me? I can stitch forward, backward, zigzag, button hole (going only one way). That is it, the end. So much for my buying from a local dealer. Not any support there at all. My machine was way over kill for my needs but husband thought I needed the bestest!

Point being, even the high priced machines with a local dealer don't always come through. Don't you hate that when it happens?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM

The real truth is that the machines sold in these markets and at Walmart, Joanns, Hancocks etc are made with cheaper parts. That is why they sell these machines because they don't cost a lot and don't have the same types of warranty and service obligations that come on machines sold by dealers. Your dealer obviously has no tact and that is his/her problem not yours.
In the store where I sometimes teach, anyone with any machine can come take a class. We give classes for all levels of machines. No one with a machine purchased somewhere else is kept from coming or pays extra for a class. They do charge extra for servicing machines not purchased there; but that is a common practice. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't encourage persons to purchase their next machine there because we are certain that in most cases we know that those machines purchased through theseother outlets because of the us of cheaper parts will need more servicing and even replacement quicker. In the long run buying through a dealership just gives you more support functions and you come ahead in the long run. It shouldn't come off as snobbery in any case. Just for additional information our classes are usually $20 to $30 because we want our customers to learn as many different uses for their machines. However, if you do have one of the fancy embroidery machines we do have some classes that are more expensive.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Oh does this strike a cord with me. Many years ago I wanted to make a Trip around the world colorwash quilt. I paid for the class. I had the horrible experience of having the instructor picking out all my fabric. Then I loaded my Kenmore into the car. Drove 45 mins to the store. I was setting up when this same woman looks at me and says. Oh you have a kenmore machine. Think looking down her nose at me. Yes I said why? She luanched into a tirade on low end machines. Then I had the wrong thread(Coats and Clarke grey). I go to the thread rack to buy the "correct thread". They were out of the light grey so I bought the darker grey. I was never comfortable in the class. I dii finish my quilt. I actually sleep under it every night. I teach quilting now. I never ever say anything about a machine or supplies unless it really is a bad choice. But I do so with gentleness. I as a consumer would never take another class with them and I never did. BTW the 4 stores closed about 3 years later. Luann
Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dotha View Post
I wonder if 'mass produced' means knock-off. Of course they don't like that but if it sews to your liking, who cares. It is against the law, I think, to produce knock offs but not to buy it.

Having worked in a quilt shop, though, I did not like it when a customer came in to have ME figure out how much backing she needs so she can go to another shop to purchase.
No, it likely has nothing to do with being a knock-off. Brother has a mass market line and a dealer line. The quality of the machines in the dealer line IS better, they are made to different specifications. The mass market line CAN last a long time (especially if you only sew a few times a year), but the current ones are not as good as the ones that were at Walmart 20 years ago, and even if they are a "Brother" it isn't the same Brother you get from a dealer.

I think your point about people who use the stores and then buy elsewhere is a good one. Yes- we can get much better prices online, but if we do that, the local stores will be gone. I don't buy everything local, but I always keep this in mind when it is only a little less online.

I think it isn't necessarily so much snobbery, as exasperation. The dealer may be having a hard time staying afloat, and seeing mass market machines rubs that in. But then she shouldn't have offered the class to just everyone. The local viking dealer only allows viking machines in their classes (and you have to own it, unlike the Bernina dealer who has classroom machines- and doesn't even try a sales pitch, though their classes are often foot sales pitches...)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
pw6

Smile pw6 in Texas

I give classes at my home here in north Dallas, Texas and I do not care what brand of sewing machine my gals/men/girls/boys have as long as it works and can do the job at hand, I even had a classmate bring her machine to me and I showed her how her bobbing case fit together for FREE. she could not believe she was not going have it repaired... I personally do not like Brother machines because I have had about 10 people who bought them and they are lousy and a waste of their money, for a few dollars more you can guy a better machine. but use what you have until you feel you are ready to move up to a better machine, it does not have to cost thousands, sample machines and floor models are sold off every year at more dealers and you get a good deal.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM

I soooooo agree with GreatStarter! Enjoy your machine and your hobby and don't let those snobs get you down. In this life, there are always people who have more than others; it is only the rude and ignorant who are parade their possessions as a mark of superiority. Shame on them! As GreatStarter says, try to find a different shop owner; there are so many nice people in this world. Good luck and congratulations on your new machine!

Originally Posted by GreatStarter View Post
Don't let anyone make you feel bad because you bought a machine that isn't the most expensive one out there. It is a bad shop owner or teacher that would make a student feel bad because their machine isn't the most expensive one out there. There are snobs everywhere, but there are also lots more people who are nice. If there are any other quilt shops near you try taking a class at one of them. You might find a total different attitude by the shop owner, teachers, other students. Enjoy your Brother and if you can do what you want to do with it then I hope you have it a long, long time!!!!! And by the way I have one of those very expensive machines and it is used for both quilting and embroidery-lots of quilters have machines that do both. I only ended up with it because another man talked my dh into getting it for me-other wise I would have been thrilled to have a Brother machine-Lots of quilters on these boards have them and LOVE them!!!

Kat
Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Sometimes, I wonder how people got jobs working with people. Good thing she wasn't graded>
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

I had something similar with 3D embroidery software several years ago. I went to a workshop and the dealer continued to regress to D3 format for me, she was use to 4D and I would not-financially could not afford to up grade. Their attitude determines whether they get repeat business out of you later on.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM

I think you got a great machine. Brother has a wonderful website.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
My opinion? Use what you have and can afford. Beautiful quilts don't know what kind of machines they were made with and they don't care. Neither should we.
Amen! If anyone tells you need some special machine or you won't be able to sew something properly, tell them ' A poor workman always blames his tools'.