Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Snobbery?

I bought 2 berninas about 4 years ago. I love them. Truth be told, one is an embroidery/quilting machine and I haven't touched it yet. (Shame on me) Anyways, I have noticed that even though I own these tow machines they are always trying to get me to buy a newer model. Geee.....is it like buying a car that you are suppose to trade in every 2-3 years and upgrade to a newer model. I don't pay attention to them because my machine works just fine and does what ever I want. But it does make me wonder if there are people out there who can just keep upgrading their machines........these babies are not cheap.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

my BFF got me into quilting-I didn't know if I would like it-silly me!-so I bought an inexpensive ($500 marked down to $150) Singer from Costco. When I went to the LQS for instruction on quilting-not the machine-I was put down for my "noisy mechanical machine" and that the instructor was not used to the "noise" my machine made. Yes, it was noisier that the computer models there, but not that much more. I tried for 2 classes at $40 a piece and then said "screw it!!" I was made to feel like an outsider and a poor relation because I did not have the 'fancy' machines.

I have since bought a Babylock Symphony (from a dealer and hour and a half away from me) and love it. I, however, do not go back for quilting instruction. I come here to the board for ideas and help. I find that the questions asked are answered without the 'attitude' I found at the LQS.

I have since also found that the fabric is the same if I buy it at $11-$15 at the LQS or $7-$9 at MSQ or fabric.com! Needless to say I buy from the internet. No hassle and no attitude!

Thank you for the great people on this board

I needed a new sewing machine and went down to the Brother retail store and their machines just like mine were almost $400. So I looked on Amazon.com and brought their CS6000i for $169 and shipping was free.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry you ran into this. But I'm afraid that snobs are everywhere. Shame on her. I don't care that the price for her commission was included in the "dealer price", isn't it always? Geeish. Instead of pittying the commission she lost by you buying another machine, she should have thanked her stars that you wanted to learn more and were willing to ask her. And some wonder why their sales drag? Who wants to buy from a pity party?

Find someone else that teach you the techniques you want. Check out the LQS for possible guilds that might give you
    more support. When our guild workshops come around, you can see a gammut of sewing machines in the room. We Feather Weights, I take my Singer 301, someone else has the to the nines computer machine, and all the types in between. The machine can have a great bearing on how the sewist sews, but by and large it is the operator that has the most control. You can make beautiful things with the simplist machine.
    I've got to step off the soap box now before it becomes a stage!!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

IMHO, you need to remember that everyone chooses their machine(s) for their own use. What anyone else says about it is just that - their opinion. Enjoy your new machine! I am sure someone on the QB can help if you have questions. There is so much info here and through other media sources that you will have available to you.

I'm also sorry about the snotty attitude the store/teacher dished out.

My LQS is a Bernina dealer. However, they do offer a beginners class titled "Welcome to Your Machine" which is open to anyone with any brand machine. What they do ask is that you've at least turned the machine on so that you know it works before showing up at the class. There is a modest fee to cover the teacher's time. They also offer a series of classes for new Bernina owners specific to the machine that they've purchased - those are restricted to the particular machines - and I have no issue with that policy.

I've taken several of the quilting classes through the store now, and been very impressed with their customer service. When I walked in with my "new to me" - "purchased of eBay" vintage Bernina, several people got excited about seeing one of the classic machines and told me stories about how this was the machine she bought when she started sewing in the 70's. I'm glad to give my "new to me" machines a new home.

Cheers, K

i`d finish my class then go elswhere...lots of good suggestions on here .....i only took one basic course and learned the rest on my own....your machine will do just fine....thy do have to charge for the course, that`s understandable , but thy don`t need to get snobbish lol

ditto........
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I don't think paying $50 for a class was her point...she paid the money to take the class, and then was singled out as having an inferior machine in front of the class...and THAT is not good business, and it'd be a cold day you know where before I EVER spent another dime with that dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
    I'm also sorry about the snotty attitude the store/teacher dished out.

My LQS is a Bernina dealer. However, they do offer a beginners class titled "Welcome to Your Machine" which is open to anyone with any brand machine. What they do ask is that you've at least turned the machine on so that you know it works before showing up at the class.
    That's a nice class. The three different Bernina dealers I've known all allow you to use a classroom model of their machines if you don't own a Bernina (for no cost)- but I've never known one that lets you bring another machine in.

My first sewing machine was a Walmart brother, but I took a class using a Bernina. All the skills transferred fine to my machine. Twenty or so years and another machine too, and now I own a Bernina

My husband always says that everyone is a potential customer. I worked as an account receivable clerk and dispatched orders for a propane and petroleum company for 8 years. I always put a smile on my face even when I didn't feel like it. I left that job in 2004. Just yesterday, I visited with one of my customers at Walmart. He is in his 80's now and still remembered me. He couldn't remember my name, but he knew where I worked and that I was the girl that always smiled.

Life is too short to let other people ruin my fun. Keep on using your machine and enjoy every stitch. btw - I sew on a Brother cs6000i and I do enjoy every stitch.
    Linda

Yikes! That woman would have gotten an earful from me! If quilting, the very best machine is the simplest ever made - an old fashioned Singer (now a machine that quilters are now clamoring for!), and NOT one of those blow your mind high cost, does everything but cook your supper, machines. Just remember, some of the most beautiful quilts ever made were not made on a high cost snobby machine, but by very talented quilters on the simplest machine. Expensive machines can't help at all if the quilter is not talented. You just proudly go to the class with your machine and your talent gained by practicing and your quilting will shine. The snob is just showing everyone how ignorant she really is.

I wouldn't worry about what was said at that shop. I have the same machine you have and am very pleased with it. I did have a warranty issue and when I tried to get it repaired through an authorized shop, she told me flat out that they can't do warranty work on something that was mass produced and would only do the bigger more expensive machines.... I contacted Brother and needless to say they are no longer an authorized company as she had done this many times to others. I found another company who did it for me and didn't have any issues with the warranty. Some dealers think that if its not sold there than it isnt good enough. I say buy what you can afford and it will be what you want... Like I said, I have that machine and my mother has a bigger model, but I like mine the best as it is so easy to work with. If you have any problems I know there are tons of us who are willing to help you out, myself included

Enjoy your new toy!!
    Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by majormom View Post
    Expensive machines can't help at all if the quilter is not talented.
    I'm not sure this is true. My quilting has become miles better since I got an expensive machine. My piecing accuracy has increased, and my FMQing ability has skyrocketed from what it was.

HOWEVER- a talented quilter (and I'm not one of them) doesn't need an expensive machine as a crutch. They can work with anything.

I've noticed that no one on this board has admitted to having a new Singer machine. Some have stated that new singers are'nt any good. I just bought a Singer Futura 4in1 back in Nov. and love it. Does everything the other brands do but about a quarter of the cost. Machine snobbery is everywhere.

I have personally experienced machine snobbery at my LQS. It's sad because they offer some great classes but I go away feeling so inferior it's not worth the pain.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yes, there are snobs in the world. Car snobs, food snobs, wine snobs, clothing snobs, fabric snobs, sewing machine snobs, and snobs in areas I don't even know. The best approach I know is to not buy into their game. Enjoy what you have and don't let negative talk dissuade you from doing great things.

I decided to try my hand at sewing and quilting back in October. My aunt showed me her Singer she bought at Walmart for $79. My friend showed me her Kenmore that she paid a couple hundred for. I hadn't even found this board yet. My mom always had Singers, so I took myself down to Joann (I didn't even know LQS even existed! LOL) and bought the nicest Singer I could afford, the Confidence Stylist. It ended up being more machine than I would've paid for, but it was 50% off, so I ended up with a nicer machine than my actual budget allowed for. I'm pleased as punch with it. I know the newer ones have a reputation, but this thing does everything I need it to, and isn't so basic (like my aunt tried to talk me into) that I'll outgrow it soon. I use it just about every day and I love it. Don't be ashamed of your machine; your LQS should be ashamed of the way they treated you!

I'm a wedding photographer. If I treated one of my brides who couldn't afford my biggest collection the way you were treated, I'd be out of business soon enough! We all have a choice; mine, in this situation, would be to finish this class and move on to a shop that values ALL their customers equally.

Shame on that salesperson!!!!those comments were unnecessary!!! Sounds to me like she most likely lost a future sale and who knows how many people she has turned off with comments like that!!!
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

Blog Entries
    It tickles me every time I'm in a Fab Shop and listen to the sales pitch these people have. How did we ever sew anything on a treadle. I love my simple machine and everyone else can keep those high priced jobs. I did buy a Bernina 15 years ago when embroydery was the newest thing. I haven't used the E attachment once in all those years. I do like my bernina, and my simple singer from a school sale and my treadle the best! Oh, and my DGMs 1935 singer. Wow!
    peace

Mad Quilter Rocks!
    Last edited by ube quilting; 01-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Our Brother dealer cannot give free classes to those who buy the mass-market, rather than the dealer line. They can't afford it.

It isn't that they look down upon the mass market machines (there are a few of the project runway machines that overlap between the mass market/dealer lines and they recommended I just buy that on amazon) it is that the dealer support is built into the price of the machine.

Our brother dealer offers a $200 package where they offer lifetime classes for a mass market machine, as well as the basic cleaning that would come with a dealer purchased machine.

It isn't snobbery, it is business. $50 sounds reasonable for most classes, IMO.
    A business owner who wants my business would do well to make me feel good about me and my equipment. She doesn't know when I will want a high dollar machine like the one she sells and if she has made me feel bad, I certainly will not buy it from her shop. In these perilous economic times, shop owners/managers need to watch their attitudes! froggyintexas

don't let people like that upset you. i just tell them its great they have what they want but i am happy with my old new home. it does everything i need it too. as for the lady she just wants to make a sell places like that wouldn't see me back cause i don't like the computer machines to work with so there wouldn't be a hope of her making a sell.My SIL finally got the 5000 dollar combo she wanted and showed it to me . it was great for her but just not my thing. the other sister in law is uppity too cause her quilts win blue ribbons and she has all the toys and all. I caught on though she does the tops and sends them out to be quilted. that is fine but she shouldn't act like she did it all. I am not one to keep up with the jones and happy for what works for me. lol sell persons wouldn't be happy with me for sure

I was told the same thing about my SE270D (disney machine)...it's similar to yours. I took it to a different dealer when we moved here to TX...the dealer said Brother would not let dealers sell these machines...not because they are mass produced (all machines are mass produced...that's a copout)...but because the company wants dealers to sell the higher end machines only. This tech/dealer said my little Disney machine was one of the best & easiest to work on he has seen. I love my little machine...though I now have a 2nd embroidery/sewing machine (Futura CE150)...and like the larger hoop...I love the Brother for sewing...it cuts the thread, it has a cartridge for the top thread..and it really does thread the needle for you.

Don't worry about people putting your machine down...it's a great machine...all the brother machines I have owned have been good machines. Don't forget though...use either 60 or 90 wt bobbin thread only in the bobbin for embroidery...yep...had to have my disney machine timed 3x before I figured that one out...finally read the manual!

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Sometimes the social interaction with other students is fun. I love my quilting friends, some from classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    She just wants to sell you one of her expensive machines. If it was me I would
    go someplace else. I learned to quilt on my own and using the internet, buying
    a few books and reading this board. If I'm looking for a technique I usually
    google and if I can't find the answer I just ask here. There are all kinds of tutorials
    here and on the web. I save my money for fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
    A business owner who wants my business would do well to make me feel good about me and my equipment. She doesn't know when I will want a high dollar machine like the one she sells and if she has made me feel bad, I certainly will not buy it from her shop. In these perilous economic times, shop owners/managers need to watch their attitudes! froggyintexas
    I so agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
    Dear Elliegirl, don't you ever feel diminished by any sort of snobs. I started sewing as a young wife and mother when I was 18 years old (53 years ago) on a Featherweight. First thing I made was curtains and slipcovers for my couch and chair. Then I made a lined suit. Did it all on my own, no lessons. I sewed on the FW until 11 years ago when I purchased a Singer cheepie. Have continued to sew for others (mostly bedspreads and curtains and table runners.) Never have I felt guilty or less than a good sewer than anyone who has a machine worth much more money than mine. I now have a Bernina embroidery machine (my Babylock died last year, loved that machine so much) and recently purchased a Singer 401A at Goodwill for $30.00 and it sews beautifully. A lot of money doesn't define what is good and useful. Our use of it does though. Chin up and know that you are alright. Best wishes to you and enjoy sewing on your machine.
    Kitsy

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast