Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Snobbery?

Blog Entries
    ok, no one has said it so i will..........this was beyond snobbery this was bullying and it should not be tolerated

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    My opinion? Use what you have and can afford. Beautiful quilts don't know what kind of machines they were made with and they don't care. Neither should we.
    You sound like someone that I would like to have as a friend!
    Husker Barb

Blog Entries
    That is crazy. Last year I took a class where my now current machine (viking Ruby) would have not only made my life easier but would have fit into what all of the others in the class had. I had a small Kenmore/Janome with a bunch of decorative stitches. It does a great job. Not one time did anyone in that class put my machine down. As a matter of fact the only mention of my machine was that it was so quiet compared to the others and then when potential students were looking at what we were doing and having their doubts about their machines being able to do that type of work the teacher pointed out that I had done everything on my domestic machine and mine was just as nice as the others. The class was great; the quilt turned out great, it was manipulating fabric and each block was different so I learned so many new techniques and I also learned a lot more things that I could do with my machine. I now have a nice big machine but Kenmore still goes to class with me; unless it's the embroidery club and then it has to stay home. I'd voice my opinion to the store owner and if that was the the way it would be and you had a choice I'd switch stores. People have machines for different reasons; some have the ones they have for cost and would love to go bigger others have the domestic ones because it gets the job done and they love their machine. No matter what the reason or machine you should only be encouraged to learn more on it. Good luck in the future.
    Judy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about your experience. I have a Slimplicity that I purchased from QVC. I have never had anyone refuse a quilt because of the make of the machine or where it was purchased. Just keep pouring love into your quilts and all who receive them will love them also. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    When I bought my first non vintage machine I called the local community college and ask what they used for sewing classes and thats what I bought. I knew they would not use a machine that could be a problem to keep up especially with students learning to sew. I bought a Bernina activa 240, when I took the operation class from the dealer I bought the machine from I was the only one there with this basic machine. It has 100+ stitches, more than I really need. I do like sewing on it and I've had it for 7 years with no problems. I must admit I was down at the "end of the nose" of several people in the class. I did manage to meet a very sweet friend at the class and we remain good friends. Yes... her machine is higher end.
    Just passing through!

I took a class years ago where I was the one with the lowest end machine in the class, not that anyone made a big deal about it. I just figured some day I would be able to afford a higher end machine. Well over time I became more realistic about what I actually do with my sewing machine. I recently purchased a Brother 1500S that I just love. It has no bells and whistles, it isn't even electronic but it does exactly what I want it to do. The quality of the stitches is as good as I have seen on any machine and it has enough power to sew any intersection of seams without a hiccup. I'm rambling a bit but what I really want to say is that even if you can afford it, the super fancy isn't always the best choice. As others have said, "If it works for you.....".

I drove for an hour to buy my new machine in Nov. I wanted to buy from someone who treated like a good customer no matter how muck I spent. I did not get the most expensive machine, but was helped in finding what I wanted and could affort. Free lesson on the machine IF I bought it from them, otherwise a small fee.

I encountered something similar a few years ago. I was looking for a light that I could attach to my Brother CS-6000i. The woman in the store asked me what machine I had and when I told her she stuck her nose in the air and said they didn't carry anything that would work for a "Brother". I won't tell you what I thought about her attitude.

Last year I bought a Janome 7700 because I wanted the larger harp area and it is a lovely machine - but I still love that little Brother and it isn't going anywhere - except to classes because it is very portable and the Janome is NOT.

I did pay for a basic quilting class at my LQS (BTW it was my LQS that recommended the Brother as a good 'starter' machine) and I've taken a couple of other classes there as well. I have no problem paying for classes - I think that is only fair - but as someone else mentioned here there is a ton of information on line and I've learned a lot that way, too.

Anyway, if your machine does what you want and need then that's all that is required. Find someone that will respect what you do and not be critical of the tools you use.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    My opinion? Use what you have and can afford. Beautiful quilts don't know what kind of machines they were made with and they don't care. Neither should we.
    Diito here. I have a 18 yr old Janome and even though it has fancy stitches and such it still is an outdated machine to some. I use what I have and wherever I can find it. The people on here have never made a difference in members and I think that WQuilt shops should take a lesson from them. Just my opinion of course
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I bought two new machines last year. (Spent my annual bonus on ME for a change.) I didn't buy any of them from my local dealer where I had expressed an interest in one of them. Why? Because my local dealer's "rock bottom" prices on both machines were way higher - near retail - than the prices quoted by two other dealers and there was no room to negotiate even though three other dealers within an hour's drive were selling at a lower price.

I was scheduled for a demo class for one of the machines that I had to cancel and get back a small deposit I'd put on a machine I eventually decided not to buy. My DH did this for me and told them that HE had purchased the machine on teh spur of the moment as a surprise for me. Not true, but he was fearful that they would be mad that I didn't buy from them.

Well, next time my DH and I went into that store, you wouldn't believe the dirty looks we received. If looks could kill. I did recently - after nine months - go back and was treated better but I will always feel uncomfortable there.

Sad that they can't understand that long term they'll make a lot more money on me from my purchase of fabrics, notions, class materials etc. than they'd have made on the machine.

I have the Brother SE350 that I bought from WM 4 or 5 years ago. It is my favorite machine! I also have another Brother sewing/embroidery that I had purchased before the 350 model which I had liked at that time. It was the Disney model and used thread cassettes were sensitive to different threads. It is downstairs somewhere which I will probably dig out sometime and give to my granddaughter. Don't be intimitated by others about your machine. Just take some classes from you LQS about a technique you want to learn. As to learning about your machine, just play. I've had mine for years and sew daily. I still will discover something that I didn't know about my machine just by using it.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I agree. I can not afford an expensive machine so I bought a Singer Quilter costing on sale $300. It makes very nice quilts or is that me making the quilts. I am sure that I would make the same mistakes on an expensive machine as I do on my "cheap" one. I think this snobbery also extends to some owners of the high cost machine besides the LQS. It is the quilt maker and not the machine that make a good quilt. Just ignore negative comments or go to another shop. Or better still mention you experience to the shop owner to make her aware (unless of course the teach was the shop owner) .

I have a Disney Brother and went into a local quilt store and the clerk gave me the most hatelful look and was totally rude - left and never been back. Of course my Mother called the store and complained - taking care of her baby!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

sorry double posted
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    You should have told her that if she would like to sell you a high end machine for the price you paid for the machine you could afford you will purchase it from her.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I,too, had problems with "snobbery" years ago. I bought a machine at a quilt show and had to travel for 2 hours to a dealer who would "show" me how to use the machine. He dd not want to sell me the accompanying notebook because I didn't really need it (a computerized model with lots of bells and whistles). When I asked him to show me how to make buttonholes with it he heaved a great sigh as if I were a stupid, recaltcitrant child. At that point, I got up and left. I never went back to that shop again and made sure my friends knew why.

This is why I avoid the sewing machine dealers in my area like the plague. A snobbish attitude is the norm. I know their business is a tough one, and I don't begrudge them making money. But there are ways to talk to people nicely, and then there are ways to make people feel small. I think many of the store owners have studied the latter. I will continue to buy online, research techniques online and in books and, of course, learn from this board. There's no harm in being self-taught!

I have 2 Brother machines and really like both of them. But I won't buy another Brother. When I was looking for software for my Brother embroidery machine I could not get any information or prices over the phone or internet. My "local" dealer - 90 miles away - said I would have to come into the shop. Dealers I located over the internet said I would have to go to my local dealer. Sorry, but I'm not driving 90 miles to find out everything they have is over my price range. I called a BabyLock dealer who is about 45 miles away. He was very helpful, had just what I needed in my price range, took my credit card number, and mailed me the software. I had it in 2 days. My next machine will be a BabyLock.
    Shirley in Arizona

I can understand her having a fee for you not buying your machine from her, the shops around here do that too. What I don't understand is her talking your machine down. That is just plain rude.

I bought a Brother from WM because it had more features than my older Singer. After 3 years it needed repairs and I took it to shop that sold Brothers and other machines. I was told it would continue to be a money pitas far as repairs and she tryed to talk me into a used Singer that was actually older then the 1 I had! I let with my "broken" Brother and called the dealer I had bought 3 other Singers over the years. He said that the Singers had become a problem and went strictly to the Brother machines. He showed me different n\machines and I left with another Brother that was almost a clone for my lemon. I traveled 50 miles for the new one but it was worth it for the service he gave.(My old Singer still works like a dream)So imho if you don't like the service find a different dealer!
    Kathy Osterby

I have never taken a class I had to pay for. There are so many free video classes on line why pay for a class?
    So have never had a problem with shop snobs.
    Just buy fabric and notions so they have no idea what machine I have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Our Brother dealer cannot give free classes to those who buy the mass-market, rather than the dealer line. They can't afford it.

It isn't that they look down upon the mass market machines (there are a few of the project runway machines that overlap between the mass market/dealer lines and they recommended I just buy that on amazon) it is that the dealer support is built into the price of the machine.

Our brother dealer offers a $200 package where they offer lifetime classes for a mass market machine, as well as the basic cleaning that would come with a dealer purchased machine.

It isn't snobbery, it is business. $50 sounds reasonable for most classes, IMO.
    I don't think she was complaining about paying for the class it was the comments made that was upsetting. It was like they were treating her like they were upper class and she was lower class because of her machine. That is wrong no matter what.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Try walking into a Janome dealership for a FMQ class with a homely little tan 1956 Singer 301. I got a remark from the instructor and looks from the other class members, but guess which machine outshone the pretty ones?? Any problems were operator error, not AnnieRose's. If your machine is the right one for you, then it's the right one!

Blog Entries
    My husband has a saying about sales people - they are coin-operated and run on a 30-day cycle.

Blog Entries
    That is sad!!!! I just bought a Brother's SQ9050 at Walmart $20 off and it does everything my OLD expensive Kenmore did with cam's, monogram, embrodiery, you name it, it does it! But cleaning Kenmore is $59 and cleaning the Brother's equal what it cost..so with that said...I may upgrade and NOT EVERY professionaly clean this Brother's! I looked at their machine on close out and NONE offered what I got with this one from Walmart..I'm happy with my cheap light machine that makes buttonholes in a flash, drop in bobbins which I hated bobbin on last 2 machines! Check out YOU TUBE they have demo for anything!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast